ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-12-11, 11:40 AM

MedStudent82 has a spectacular aura aboutMedStudent82 has a spectacular aura about
Starting Adderall Makes My Thinking Sluggish

Hi, I am a 29 year-old male and was just professionally diagnosed with adult ADHD two weeks ago. I started Adderall a week and a half ago, and have another week before I can go back in to talk to my psychiatrist, but every time I take it, I think slower (more clearly and finish thoughts/tasks, which is great), but I find myself struggling for words when I talk a little and read slower and can't do quick math/data analysis that I'm used to doing) fast. It's also hard to multi-task and jump from one thought to another. I'm also more tired when I take it. For instance, at 9AM this morning it hadn't kicked in yet, and I was feeling bright & lively and talking to co-workers about 10 different things, and then it kicked in thirty minutes later, and I am calm now and feel like I lost 20 IQ points becase I can't process/read/understand what people are saying as fast.

My doctor started me out on the lowest dosage (10mg IR) and I actually started off breaking them off in half (at his suggestion) to titrate up to 10 mg, which I did the first 3 days. The mental slugishness was even worse on 5 mg IR. Now I feel like I am able to better focus no doubt, but my processing speed is SO compromised that I'm not sure it's worth it. If I have to sacrifice mental capacity for calmness/no-anxiety I can't deal with it.

I am going in next week to talk to him about maybe increasing the dosage to 12.5, 15, or 20 mg in order to bring my normal awareness level up to normal, but has anyone else felt this way on a lower dosage? I feel tired/mentally slow on it, and it's aggravating that I have to keep using a pill twice a day so my body can get adjusted to it over the course of three weeks in order to come into him next week and say that at least I did it. It's like I have to take a stupid pill twice a day, and it's really not fun.

This is just one side effect I have from it, and don't get me wrong, the other positives are great (focused, get a lot done, no anxiety any more, and don't have 20 million bad impulses throughout the day I'm used to).

I just wondered if this isn normal at all or if it's just not the right ADHD treatment for me? Adderall is supposed to be the strongest acting (moreseo than Ritalin), so I didn't expect it to make me sluggish, and I would think switching to something less intense would only make me even more sluggish/tired, but I don't know.

Any experiences/opinions would be great. Thanks!
Old 05-12-11, 04:07 PM
Jr Member

CanesFan is on a distinguished road
Re: Starting Adderall Makes My Thinking Sluggish

I will be of no help because I was just diagnosed and just started treatment as well, but I wanted to let you know that I am experiencing pretty much the same thing.
I started Adderall on Tuesday. My doctor prescribed me 20 mg tablets with the instructions to take 1/2 to 1 tablet twice a day (instant release). I do not have medical insurance so I am taking generics (apparently that makes a difference?). I took 1/2 a tablet for my first dose and felt great. No shakiness. No dizziness. No more anxiety. Mood boost. It seemed great. I assumed that since a half a tablet worked so well, a whole must be even better. I took a whole tablet at my next dose. Again, I felt good, though I did have some trouble with sleep. I fell asleep fine but woke often during the night and didn't feel rested in the morning. Yesterday, I took a whole tablet for both doses. This is when I really noticed the brain fog set in. Someone on this forum suggested I lower my dose (I am a 34 year old female, first time on medication. 40mg a day may be a bit much to start with). Today I took 1/2 tablet for both of my doses (20mg total). I feel awful. Tired. Headache. Brain fog. I have already gone back and fixed 5 typos in this message. I feel like I can't think. I am slow to process things and feel like I am in slow motion. My mood has also shifted to a case of the "blahs." I felt fine after this morning's dose, but the afternoon didn't do much for me. Now that it is wearing off, I am pretty miserable. This is right about the time that my kids get home. Not a good time to be crashing with all that they bring home.
I, too, am wondering if Adderall is the wrong medication for me. How I feel right now if not even worth the benefits I felt on the first day (which I don't feel anymore). It seems like every time this stuff wears off, my symptoms are worse than they ever were before I was medicated!
My doctor said to give it two weeks and if I hated Adderall, to switch to Dexedrine (she gave me a script for that as well, just in case). I don't know that I want to spend another week in a haze though. Summer school starts next week! Do I hang in there or take this as a sign that this isn't for me?
I didn't mean to hijack your thread... I just wanted to say that I am having the same issue with sluggish thinking!
Old 05-12-11, 06:00 PM

SpazKat will become famous soon enough

I am having these very same things happen to me, only add sleepiness and drowsiness to it within 2-3 hours after I take the dose. I can't hardly keep my eyes open if I sit down. I, too, feel like my IQ has dropped, and I'm moving in slow motion, even when it kicks in. I also aimlessly space out, thinking of...nothing, really. Normally, my mind is going a mile a minute, so this is really weird for me. (I am on 10 mg IR, twice a day.) I honestly think I am not on enough of a dosage, and I am on day 4. I called my doctor to ask if this was normal, and she said no. She told me if I didn't think they were working, to simply stop taking them, and we'll discuss it at the next appointment.

I hate to think that I've sludged and suffered through these 4 days for nothing, but...dang. My life sucks enough as it is, and I definitely don't need to get dumbed down/sedated to the point of feeling comatose on top of it! It's definitely not making me any more productive, that's for sure...at least, not on my current dose.

Sorry that I don't have any answers, but please know that you are not alone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpazKat For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (03-19-17), MedStudent82 (05-12-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-11, 09:23 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazKat View Post
(I am on 10 mg IR, twice a day.) I honestly think I am not on enough of a dosage, and I am on day 4. I called my doctor to ask if this was normal, and she said no. She told me if I didn't think they were working, to simply stop taking them, and we'll discuss it at the next appointment.

Upping my dosage made me worse, but that is just me and I am only on day 3. I am wondering if my dose is too high? Maybe it's too much and it is slowing me down too much? I don't know... I am at a loss. I am going to try to cut mine in half once again (down to 5mg 2x a day) and see if that does anything. If not, I am pitching these things. Like you said, it just isn't worth it. I would put up with side effects if I were being helped some, but I am not. This is really frustrating!
Old 05-12-11, 11:54 PM

MedStudent82 has a spectacular aura aboutMedStudent82 has a spectacular aura about

Hey CanesFan,

I have been taking 10 mg 3x/day (he prescribed twice a day), but I have shied from calling him. The adderall has worn off for the day, so I can finally think on a higher/normal level (ironically). I actually fell asleep earlier while on adderall (7-8pm, effects wore off at 10pm). The ADHD symptoms are back full force (thought about 5 million things tonight while at Target, walked around for a faucet filter, was thinking about 10 things, and somehow winded up in the toy department before I snapped out of it). Then drove through Taco Bell (stress eating even though I wasn't hungry), paid, and drove off without the food -- swung back around.

Today has been a rough day to say the least lol. I am going to call the Dr.'s office tomorrow, tell him 10 mg makes me concentrate and focus but makes me think/process frustratingly slow, and if he says also to discontinue using adderall until we meet again next Thursday I will. I feel like it is such a bittersweet world taking Adderall the two weeks I have been on it. It's wonderful except the feeling that I'm tired and think sluggishly. If your experimenting with higher doses is any indication, I don't think upping it will help and will discuss this with my pro. Otherwise, I'm just going to take 10 mg twice a day like he originally suggested for the next few days and see if anything changes.

The past two weeks have been full of ups and downs (seems EVERY SINGLE time I take a 4-hour dose it's a gamble of whether it makes me feel down and annoyed or normal and happy) and I have been either all for Adderall or all against it every time. I'm getting sick of obsessing about it, my newfound "condition" and whether a pill will make everything better or not, instead of using it simply as a tool for me to accomplish what I need to in a fast/efficient manner day-to-day instead of my ADHD getting in the way of everything all the time. I am going to just lay all this out to him and hope he makes sense of it all. That is, after all, what he went through 8+ years of school/residency for, and that is what I am paying him to do I know that you are your own best friend when it comes to psychiatry in terms of knowing what's best, but sometimes you have to just let them help you to make sense of it all.

Till then, I say do the same as I will -- stick with the lower/prescribed doses, call her or him, and see if you should discontinue abruptly or stick it out and keep titrating up doses or switch medications the next time you meet with them.
Old 05-13-11, 12:00 AM
Jr Member

DejectedAngel is on a distinguished road

I truly, truly believe something has changed in Adderall. I took 30mg XR everyday last year, worked amazing every time. Now currently taking 30mg IR tabs made by BARR at 15mg/3x daily. I split my pills as it is cheaper to buy 30mg's and cut them than it is to buy 15mg's. Working wonderfully up until my last refill earlier this month...I have all the same symptoms people are describing. Plus there seem to be quite a few new members registering to ask about the same symptoms....hmmm. I could be wrong, it could just be coincidence..just food for thought..
Old 05-13-11, 07:51 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedStudent82 View Post
The past two weeks have been full of ups and downs (seems EVERY SINGLE time I take a 4-hour dose it's a gamble of whether it makes me feel down and annoyed or normal and happy) and I have been either all for Adderall or all against it every time. I'm getting sick of obsessing about it, my newfound "condition" and whether a pill will make everything better or not, instead of using it simply as a tool for me to accomplish what I need to in a fast/efficient manner day-to-day instead of my ADHD getting in the way of everything all the time.
My gosh, yes! I know just what you mean! My thoughts are consumed by my medication: is it time for my next dose? How will I feel? Do I have my pills with me? My head hurts- is that a new side effect? How many mg should I take? Should I switch meds? Hang in there? Is this working? Is this not? UGH! I am sick of thinking about it all! Where it stands now, there are not enough benefits for me to continue. I could deal with a stomachache or some jitters if those were my side effects, but this brain fog and confusion is almost debilitating. I nearly got into a car accident a couple of days ago. I switched lanes and literally did not see the car right next to me!

I did not take my morning dose yet. I am having a cup of coffee though and I feel somewhat back to normal (ADHD normal). I am going to try 5mg a little later (cut my dose by half) and see how that goes.

You mentioned eating while stressed. I do that as well. I have 4 kids, run my husband's business from home (poorly, I might add) and am a full time college student. I have a lot of stress and do a lot of stress eating! The one positive I can say about Adderall is that it has removed the eating impulse so I can better control my emotional eating. I am more mindful of it, I guess.

Hang in there, friend. I know they wouldn't make these meds if people didn't bennefit from them! I guess we will need to keep on experimenting until we find what works!
The Following User Says Thank You to CanesFan For This Useful Post:
MedStudent82 (05-13-11)
Old 05-13-11, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanesFan View Post
I did not take my morning dose yet. I am having a cup of coffee though and I feel somewhat back to normal (ADHD normal). I am going to try 5mg a little later (cut my dose by half) and see how that goes.
I also am taking my first holiday off from Adderall (mainly because I only got 5 hours' sleep last night and read from these blogs that it's unadvisable to take Adderall on anything less than 6-7 hrs sleep. I feel tired but functional today. I am still doing 5 things at once that I shouldn't be doing rather than work, but I am at least not in a sluggish thingking tunnel and slow. I also had coffee for the first time in two weeks (pretty funny you did also).

I called my doctor's office and finally let his staff relay my "sluggish" question on to him to see if I should lower dose down from 10 mg, increase it, or discontinue. I'll let you know what he says later today. Until then, I am on holiday from this little beast. If I could live day-to-day without having to act fast/data crunch/analyze/write essays I would love Adderall at this dosage. It's just not right for me right now.

Ttyl CanesFan
Old 05-13-11, 01:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,460 Times in 582 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute

I felt much the same way when I started Adderall, but it eventually wore off. It's actually more due to perspective. This is the analogy my psych shared with me:

It's like driving a car. When you've been going at 100mph your whole life, and you suddenly have to slow down to the average 55 mph, you're going to feel like you're crawling for awhile.

However, if you really dislike the trade off between mental capacity and calmness/no anxiety, you might want to look into something like propanolol. It's a beta blocker used to reduce anxiety and stress, and is know as a performance enhancer. It helps alleviate the physical aspects of anxiety, helps you calm down a bit, but doesn't actually affect your cognitive speed. Actors, performers, and surgeons use it in their professional lives.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaimei For This Useful Post:
MedStudent82 (05-13-11)
Old 05-13-11, 02:05 PM

UPDATE: Dr.'s office said to take a weekend break from Adderall and start again Monday as prescribed (2X/day, 10 mg). I will do that and see if the sluggish cognitive thinking comes back (as it did for the past two weeks starting day one), or if it subsides over time (days/weeks).
Old 05-13-11, 02:16 PM

adtek is on a distinguished road

I havent noticed anything with making my thinking sluggish. I take 15mg IR 3 times a day. I do notice that it is harder for me to multitask like you said but I am able to focus a lot more when I am just doing one task at a time. I have noticed that if I have a bunch to do, I now have to write everything out and form a plan of attack so that I am sure to get everything done.

The one thing that I have noticed though is that my short term memory seems to have gotten a bit worse. I will think of things to get done and forget what something was when I go to write it down. I have always been a bit forgetful with things though so maybe now I am just more aware of it since I am trying to keep a bit more organized.
The Following User Says Thank You to adtek For This Useful Post:
MedStudent82 (05-13-11)
Old 05-13-11, 02:27 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedStudent82 View Post
UPDATE: Dr.'s office said to take a weekend break from Adderall and start again Monday as prescribed (2X/day, 10 mg). I will do that and see if the sluggish cognitive thinking comes back (as it did for the past two weeks starting day one), or if it subsides over time (days/weeks).
Was that the dosage you were taking originally? What is the reasoning behind the weekend break? Just curious if I should try something like that.

I did end up taking my halved dose (5mg). I feel MUCH better compared to how I felt on the higher dosages and I did not have the horrific afternoon crash like I have had in previous days. I feel less foggy, but I can't tell if I am "better" than I was unmedicated. It's hard to tell having spent 3 days is a complete fog. I don't really remember what my normal was... I feel good enough at this dose that I could tolerate trying it out for a week to see if anything changes after I my body adjusts.

I have noticed that I have spent more time in hyper focus today but the focus is on avoidance type activities instead of the things I NEED to be doing (boring things like housework). This was one of my main problems to begin with, though I don't know if medication can help that one. I am also finding that my reactions are slower when driving. Not good. I am willing to give this another week though.

Good luck MedStudent!
Old 05-13-11, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanesFan View Post
I have noticed that I have spent more time in hyper focus today but the focus is on avoidance type activities instead of the things I NEED to be doing (boring things like housework). This was one of my main problems to begin with, though I don't know if medication can help that one.
That's hilarious, because, today, off of adderall for the first time in two weeks, that's EXACTLY what I have been doing too -- doing avoidance type activities (looking up laptop comparisons indepthly, emailing everyone and anyone, this blog, etc) instead of data analysis, which should be my priority. Ha. Pretty funny. When I'm on adderall, I only focus on the priority - that's why I love it so much: I'm just slower at the priority task than usual.

10 mg was my original dosage he prescribed to me, which I have always taken, so I don't think the weekend reset/holiday is going to work. I think his secretary got my message lost in translation and told him that this mental sluggishness just recently happened the last couple days, and not since the beginning when I started taking it two weeks ago. But I'll do what he says anyway. I probably need it to clear out of my system and get back to 8 or 9 hours' sleep a night (I've gotten consistently 7 hours while on it) and start over again next week. I think I'll only take it twice as prescribed (20 mg total/day) instead of 3X like I've been doing and see if that helps. In the beginning I thought I needed to have it during work (8-5pm) and after work (5-10pm) in order to get both my work done and my life's stuff done after work, but the twice a day dosing (7am, again @ 11am) sounds like I'll have a clear head by 5pm to "multitask" and also fall asleep easier. Having 30 mg/day in my system might have been to much for me to start on. Who knows. Giving it a shot.

Have a good one, GF!
Old 05-13-11, 03:54 PM

Interesting that my adderall from CVS is also Barr manufactuer:

Interesting article on Barr generic Adderall vs. the other two generic Adderall: This guy has experienced all 3 generics and says there is a difference and that this Barr manufactured Adderall produces the strongest focus of the three, making it hardest to multitask:

http://addmedicationreviews.com/Barr...ll-Review.html

Also, another site where everybody hates Barr generic compared to the other 2 generics and the more expensive brand Adderall:

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...ric-43433.html

Maybe I'll just hop over to Walmart next time or whoever else carries another generic besides Barr or even switch to brand if it's better for me. Mental capacity is worth the price.
The Following User Says Thank You to MedStudent82 For This Useful Post:
DejectedAngel (05-13-11)
Old 05-13-11, 04:26 PM

allstar9031 is on a distinguished road
Try LOWERING your dose.

Hi,
I was diagnosed with ADD about a month and a half ago, and I was instantly prescribed Adderall XR 20mg. the first day was not too bad, but all went down hill from there. Over the next 15 days or so, I was a complete zombie. I would take the single dose at 5am (I start work at 6am) it would kick in about an hor and a half later and I was a limp, lethargic lump of flesh and bone. I feltlike I could fall asleep at any moment, but the truth was that no matter how sleepy I felt, I could not actually cross that line between complete lethargy to actual sleep. I could focus, hyper focus very well, but never on the task at hand. I also had numerous people that i work with ask me " is everything ok man, you look like your gunna kill someone ". (i did NOT have any type of violent or destructive thoughts going through my head what so ever, but my face/eyes projected that i guess). Also, I could not sleep, I was getting about 2 hours of sleep a night, I took up too 20mg of melatonin to try and get some sleep, to no avail. When I talked to my Dr. about this, he told me to try taking the dose at night instead of in the morning... wow, good thing i tryed that on the weekend, I got NO sleep, not even the 2 hours i was managing before. So after reporting that to my Dr. he gave up, and told me to go see a psych. So in the interim I decided to try something, I opened up the capsule and devided the contents in half and took approx. half my dose.. WOW, what a difference, It worked! I was overdosing on 20mg. But this reduction in dose did nothing for my sleep. So I eventually got to a Psych, and went through the paces with her, she tested me for Mania, and depression, then pescribed me some adderall IR 5mg 2 times a day. Well, those work..... to an extent, they only last about 2 hours or so, and give me quite the headache, and a general feeling of.... feeling ****ty between and after my doses. The plus in all of this is that for approx 3 hours a day I am able to focus, and acomplish some of my tasks, but I am now at the point where I do not feel the bennifits outweigh the negatives. I am going to a new Psych in 4 days, and I believe he specializes more in ADD/ADHD. I hope he can help.

Ohh, and so in short I guess what my point is, If you are having these feelings, you might want to LOWER your dose instead of raising it.