ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-12, 06:10 AM
Contributor

Lisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of light
problems with public speaking and marshalling thoughts clearly

Hi there

One of the areas where I have found I have a great deal of problems is public speaking. I finally gave up on Toastmasters as it became absolute TORTURE for me, and I came to DREAD the meetings.

Although I have a problem with anxiety and therefore have a bit of a phobia of speaking in front of a large audience I also find it difficult to focus on my speech and also lose my train of thought quite easily. I've often wondered how much of this is due to my ADD and how much of it is due to my general Anxiety which I've had all my life, even as a young child.

I've come to the realisation that I'm not actually shy, I don't have a problem speaking to, or approaching people/strangers, my anxiety is more to do with performance.

My question: Is it normal for ADD to cause problems with speech, whether public or just in conversation, making it difficult to organize ones thoughts in a clear fashion, or is it possible that there could be some other reason for my problem. (besides Anxiety).

I would really appreciate your comments

many thanks in advance

Lisa x
The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa_Mac For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-25-12)
Old 02-23-12, 06:53 AM
Forum Guru

KronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to behold
Re: problems with public speaking and marshalling thoughts clearly

I can't talk or debate or give a speech because my brain is too disorganized from ADHD and anxiety. But If given the chance to write it down instead of using words I am brilliant. So now in meetings I just make notes to argue points later and send emails after the meeting instead of embarrassing myself with an unorganized poorly planned vocalization.

Unless I know the subject really really really well then I can talk about it and make sense but it is still disorganized.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KronarTheBlack For This Useful Post:
Lisa_Mac (02-23-12), Mogz12 (02-23-12), namazu (02-25-12)
Old 02-25-12, 12:28 AM
ADDvanced Member

DistractedDude has a spectacular aura aboutDistractedDude has a spectacular aura about

Whem i am, speaking, I tend to jump around a lot but I try not to worry about it.

I actually am calmer speaking in front of a group. I've spoken in front of friend's youth groups at their churches before. Afterwards, I had people comment that they have never seen the group of kids listen so carefully.

In answer to your question, what I have been learning about ADHD is that it affects everyone differntly. However, yes it is possivle that some of the problems that you have are manifestations of symptoms.

If public speaking isn't for you, why push it? I wouldn't be to worried about it unless it is required for your job.

That's just my two cents worth.

"Even if you fall on your face, you are still moving forward." ~Robert C. Gallagher
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DistractedDude For This Useful Post:
Lisa_Mac (02-26-12), namazu (02-25-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-12, 03:26 AM
Contributor

Lisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of light

Fortunately it isn't needed for my job, just small presentations, but the problem of organizing my thoughts in ordinary conversation persists unfortunately. When I'm on Concerta (which I don't take regularly because it makes me anxious) I'm like a different person, so I suppose it has to be ADD. If I'm doing just a presentation and I have lots of props it's much easier to focus on what I'm saying, but I still have a problem pulling the words out of my brain.

It's so wierd. Sometimes I can be so clear and coherent and other times I struggle with the simplist of words.
Old 02-27-12, 01:41 AM
Jr Member

randoreds has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Fyi I hate public speaking! ADD could mix with anxiety to give an awful mess of a performance. This is a dangerous strategy, but I have add.In college, I would just get a little tipsy and take a ritalin. It makes you feel totally numb, but my speeches would go fine. Although I did have to skip one because I got too intoxicated. Or to test if its add or anxiety, you could take like half a xanax or 1 valium, and see how you do!(if its add, you will still do bad)
But to your actual question, it sounds like the combo is whats doing it to you. ADD can cause anxiety disorder.
ADD is weird, because it either makes you a good public speaker or a horrible one.
If medicated right, I can be a good one because it gives me alot of energy. But if not medicated, I am horrible. So you aren't alone