ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-27-12, 07:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

cattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nice
Adderall and stress

Hi everyone,

I notice that I my Adderall dose seems off when I am experiencing increased stress/anxiety associated with normal things that would increase stress and make people feel anxious. Things like a scary deadline approaching or a progress meeting with my committee, extra work load, etc. So basically not generalized anxiety.

In particular I think I get more hyperfocused and lose my appetite, which in turn makes everything worse because I don't want to eat, so I can't think.

Does anyone else experience this? I figure stress and anxiety functioned was a natural coping mechanism to my ADHD for a long time. I just stayed freaked out all the time and then I could focus and work. This clearly isn't a good solution. Adderall has replaced that but I am wondering if adding the affects of stress to the medication is like an unwanted "booster". However, if I don't take the Adderall I feel like a giant wet blanket has been wrapped around my brain and everything is just soooooo hard! I can't believe I lived with that feeling for so long!

I am working on dealing with the stress since it isn't likely to get better in the last year of my PhD. Meditation, exercise, petting fluffy cute kitties etc. But I am going to discuss the medication issues with my Dr. as well and am interested in other people's experiences with this issue.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences/advice!

Cat
Old 05-27-12, 08:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,242 Times in 3,065 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall and stress

You might try dexedrine. Dexedrine can be a pain in my butt sometimes, because it makes me so UNanxious. I scoff at deadlines now. "Who's cares? I'll get it done eventually." Deadlines used to make me incredibly anxious, and I relied on that anxiety to get things done.

In the end I think Dexedrine is a very good drug for me, because it's forcing me to look for real motivation instead of relying on anxiety. And I'm so much happier now that I'm not anxious all the time.

If you are disciplined already (I'm not) you will probably do very well with dex.
The Following User Says Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
cattail (06-02-12)
Old 05-28-12, 07:04 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,083 Times in 15,343 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I notice sometimes that adderall can make me more agitated when it wears off. Ana is right though dexedrine can be much more smoother and relaxed.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
cattail (06-02-12), Naussicaa (06-02-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-12, 12:02 PM
Contributor

AddYourAll is a jewel in the roughAddYourAll is a jewel in the roughAddYourAll is a jewel in the rough

adderall works by increasing the body's 'fight or flight' response. So that adrenaline 'high', or rush can cause increased aggression which is a very common side-effect of amphetamines. If a situation normally stresses you to where you get ticked off, reconize that because amphetamines will amplify the aggression. I can get mad sometimes but I stop and think: Is this really a big ordeal..life is just too short...This is one reason I take dex. I'm much more calm on vyvance or dex, but I sacrifice the motivation(inattentive, apathetic type of add) I need from the adderall. If I took dex all day, I'd be a focused, sharp, calm, lazy *** all day)So I actually take a little adderall mixed with dex prn, that ended up being my med adjustment . It's extremely effective for' me' not necessarily you, though...
The Following User Says Thank You to AddYourAll For This Useful Post:
cattail (06-02-12)
Old 06-02-12, 09:47 AM
ADDvanced Member

cattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nice

thank everyone for your replies. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I have been wandering around chasing birdies.

I am very motivated and don't want to lose that and I think I respond similarly to dex because I tried Vyvance for a week and it was just terrible for me. I was a bundle of twitchy anxiety, sick to my stomach with no motivation. Yuck!

Adderall overall works great for me 90% of the time which is pretty good. I think I should accept that and quit trying to seek 100%, that doesn't exist in life in general! No one feels exactly like they should 100% of the time!

Cat
Old 06-02-12, 11:29 AM
ADDvanced Member

YOUCANCALLMEAL will become famous soon enough

Adderall definitely isn't a miracle drug in of itself. You have to work at it. it's a really strange medication for me because how well it works for me changes a lot from day to day. It seems if things are going very well at work, I am accomplishing a lot, meeting goals, making money, it rewards me. If I am bored, not doing anything, feeling a bit guilty for not getting stuff done, I feel more stressed and less motivated. It's a drug that seems to reward you for accomplishments and punishes you for boredom. I don't know if that makes sense, but it's kind of what I am finding
Old 06-02-12, 12:39 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I notice sometimes that adderall can make me more agitated when it wears off. Ana is right though dexedrine can be much more smoother and relaxed.
Oh yes, unfortunately I feel that the Barr brand is way too weak. I just had Malinkrodt and I know what they mean when they say its better than Adderall now. And I do get ****** off easier when I'm getting off Adderall.

OP... stress is always bad.
Old 06-03-12, 07:40 PM
Contributor

AddYourAll is a jewel in the roughAddYourAll is a jewel in the roughAddYourAll is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUCANCALLMEAL View Post
Adderall definitely isn't a miracle drug in of itself. You have to work at it. it's a really strange medication for me because how well it works for me changes a lot from day to day. It seems if things are going very well at work, I am accomplishing a lot, meeting goals, making money, it rewards me. If I am bored, not doing anything, feeling a bit guilty for not getting stuff done, I feel more stressed and less motivated. It's a drug that seems to reward you for accomplishments and punishes you for boredom. I don't know if that makes sense, but it's kind of what I am finding
You're description is exactly why adders need more dopamin(or like molecule)My understanding is adders as a demagraphic lack dopamin. Therefor our primal 'seek-reward' mechanism is off. Something like accomplishing a task, then receiving a larger pay-check in recognition would get a non-adders brain rewarded with dopamin rush. if im not being rewarded, by brain doesn't function as well...I don't know the intricacies but seem to get the jist...I never thought I would be happy to finally have been Dx; 'Minimal Brain Disfunction', ADD,AD/HD,ADD-PI, OR whatever? the hell the DSM-V,VI,VII calls my symptoms so I can legally take speed(unders Drs care) to function

also, I think your brain rewards you rather than adderall. you might not be rewarded as much or as well if you weren't on it IDK, but I think adderall just increases the level of reward, along with norepinephrine for motivation...?

Last edited by AddYourAll; 06-03-12 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: added