ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-18-11, 10:54 AM

Moriatti is on a distinguished road
Decreasing time for Adderall working?

First time I took Adderall, it worked for about 3-3.5 hours. Now it seems to be wearing off about 2.5 hours in.

The first time I took one 10 mg pill, and another about an hour/hour and a half after, and got the full effect of both pills for a short while.

This time I took both at the same time, am I freaking out over nothing? Has this happened before? I've always been a little unsure about medication, so this is my first time taking it, so I'm unsure if this is normal or not?
Old 10-18-11, 02:29 PM
ADDvanced Member

Urgezz will become famous soon enough
Re: Decreasing time for Adderall working?

if this is your first time taking it then it is truly strange. however there are too many variables that affect the potency of adderall to give you an answer.

decreased effect duration generally indicates tolerance or sleep dep / malnutrition from starvation
Old 10-18-11, 02:43 PM

Moriatti is on a distinguished road

What part of Sleep Depravation does that? Is it possible that a recent alteration in my sleep schedule could've done this even if I got a full eight hours or similar?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-11, 07:32 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

actually dont be fooled by quantity of sleep but quality....in order for these meds to be effective you need quality sleep with good solid deep sleep (or Phase IV delta) which is the most restorative phase....

where is what happens when you dont get sufficient sleep and keep using stimulants

1. Insufficient sleep causes the adrenal glands to continously release cortisol during the night to keep up stress demands on the body, thus the adrenals dont rest much as they are suppose to (cortisol levels is lowest during sleep)

2. Next day you keep taking stimulant, your adrenals continue to work pumping out cortisol nonstop and this goes on and on until...

3. The hypothalamus (in brain) attempts to rebalance (homeostasis) by downregulating the HPA axis and pulling back on CRH/ACTH signals to the adrenals to stop producing cortisol, this all happens via hormonal feedback loops. Basically your own brains attempt to put on the brakes on the stress because the rate of damage is faster than it can be repaired.....

4. It is at this phase that stimulants appear to stop working, so plenty of sleep and rest are needed in addition to backing off or stopping stimulants to help the HPA recover

5. If the person ignores this and continues by increasing stimulant dosage it gets even uglier....the next things that go are sex hormones (testosterone/estrogen), thyroid, etc, etc....the body fights hard to downregulate the stimulation but it has to survive effectively leaving only things like adrenaline to fight off the stress and this gets into other problems with roller coaster mood problems, high blood pressure, diabeters...it only gets darker from here....you dont want to go anywhere close.....
Old 10-19-11, 07:13 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,083 Times in 15,343 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

^this. I have found that any amphetamine I've ever taken as little to no effect on my when my sleep cycle is screwy.

I carried a watermelon?