ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-16-05, 03:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

jerry83 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadwick
As yet I have not developed a tolerance to stimulant medication. My psychiatrist is pretty sure this strongly confirms the diagnosis of ADHD. While I disagree that you can make that particular claim (I think even those without significant frontal lobe impairment generally benefit from stimulant therapy), I am very grateful for the continuing benefits this drug brings me.
How long have you been taking them for?
Old 05-16-05, 05:28 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

stanzen has a spectacular aura aboutstanzen has a spectacular aura about
OMG,

NMDA and the shadow of David Pearce follow us everywhere:

See: http://opioids.com/nmda/memantine.html

Is within the domain of BLTC.

BTW: I'm making reference to this forum thread:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17462

Dr. Pangloss: "There is a concatenation of all events in the best of possible worlds . . ."

"Excellently observed," answered Candide; "but let us cultivate our garden."

Old 05-16-05, 05:51 PM

LegallyInsane has disabled reputation
I'm just repeating what I learned from wikipedia. I don't know who David Pearce is.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-05, 06:50 PM

JimboOmega has disabled reputation
LegallyInsane:

That's weird... I usually go to Wikipedia as a first choice. But this morning I was actually looking around it for something to verify what you'd said, and coudln't find anything.

Actually I see where you got it, from the adderall article. What's weird is, none of the other related articles, such as amphetamine or dextroamphetamine or ritalin. None of them even mention the word tolerance! For that matter, the NMDA article doesn't even mention the link to tolerance and doesn't mention magnesium

I wish I knew how it got on to the wikipedia article in the first place; I doubt that someone could make up that section in such detail completely out of their ***. However, smart money is on an herbal-remedy crew, because it advocates the use of "natural" magnesium.

I'm going to have clean up that article and a lot of the ADHD-medication related articles, since they're heavy in crap. For instance, I've seen the line
"It can improve concentration, but only for a small period of time because of its short half-life." (for normal people using it for study) in other places... However, this line is, as far as I can tell, total bull**** - the half life of these medications is rather long (10-13 hours for amphetamine, according to wikipedia(!))
Old 05-16-05, 06:50 PM

liddo-kun is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughEvans
Taking breaks during long term use typically creates tolerance...
Can you elaborate...
Old 05-16-05, 07:08 PM

LegallyInsane has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboOmega
LegallyInsane:

That's weird... I usually go to Wikipedia as a first choice. But this morning I was actually looking around it for something to verify what you'd said, and coudln't find anything.

Actually I see where you got it, from the adderall article. What's weird is, none of the other related articles, such as amphetamine or dextroamphetamine or ritalin. None of them even mention the word tolerance! For that matter, the NMDA article doesn't even mention the link to tolerance and doesn't mention magnesium

I wish I knew how it got on to the wikipedia article in the first place; I doubt that someone could make up that section in such detail completely out of their ***. However, smart money is on an herbal-remedy crew, because it advocates the use of "natural" magnesium.

I'm going to have clean up that article and a lot of the ADHD-medication related articles, since they're heavy in crap. For instance, I've seen the line
"It can improve concentration, but only for a small period of time because of its short half-life." (for normal people using it for study) in other places... However, this line is, as far as I can tell, total bull**** - the half life of these medications is rather long (10-13 hours for amphetamine, according to wikipedia(!))
Yeah I don't think that Adderall article in particular is written at the same standard of some other medication articles I've seen. But that's what you have to look out for when you use an encyclopedia written by strangers.
Old 10-17-11, 12:43 PM

carriie will become famous soon enough
Re: Reducing amphetamine tolerance with Vitamin C at night

Bananas are full of potassium. Also Gatorade style drinks have potassium in them (the whole electrolyte thing). I get these types of drinks in the low calorie/low sugar form.

Also, EmergenC packets are very low calorie and high in vitamin C.

Cheers,
Carrie
.25 mg. Xanax as needed
Old 10-17-11, 04:30 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Massari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadwick View Post
Hello folks,

I've been doing a great deal of research on amphetamine tolerance and as yet have not been able to reach any definitive conclusions. I am thinking however, just theorizing, that having it in your system for a shorter period of time is better than having it in your system for a longer period of time. Those who dose to provide coverage 12 hours per day are better off than those who dose to provide 16 hours of coverage per day. And those who find efficacy or are willing to tolerate only 4-6 hours of coverage per day are probably least likely to experience significant tolerance. By coverage, I mean perceived therapeutic benefit unrelated to the actual concentration of amphetamine in the blood. It is well known that the average half-life of amphetamine is around 7 hours in the average individual. Studies show, and indeed even Shire's Adderrall research shows that an amphetamine dose is still present in the system in a significant amount 24 hours later, and that repeated, chronic use of amphetamine builds up to a certain steady state especially if one doses twice a day or uses XR versions of amphetamine.

Vitamin C is known to acidify the urine, and there is lots of supportive research that this speeds the excretion of amphetamine from the blood. The half-life of Vitamin C being relatively short (according to one common figure, only 30 minutes!) should mean that ingested nightly, you eliminate a greater percentage of amphetamine from your system, and give yourself a cleaner beginning when you wake up, by which time one would hope the Vitamin C has lost its potency! Your body has, as you slept, rid itself of more amphetamine, and thus more amphetamine tolerance, at least this is what the research would lead me to believe.

I have made far too many changes to my personal regimen recently and cannot personally attest to any of the above. I would however ask you folks for your theories and opinions on the previous paragraph (let's call it a thesis. Because of the possible benefits of Vitamin C with regard to the above issue, and for good health in general, I have lately been ingesting 1 gram of Costco's Kirkland Signature Vitamin C, nightly, which is primarily ascorbic acid (if I recall correctly, I could be wrong here, I am not presently at my home). I have also, please scold me now for increasing my risk for insulin resistance and diabetes, been consuming 1 serving of orange juice nightly for urine acidifying reasons, and for the good nutrients in orange juice, primarily what I'm after is the potassium, which I find very hard to get the RDA of without consuming too many calories above maintenance. Does anyone know how to get lots of potassium in a healthy, non-toxic manner aside from OJ? Does OJ acidify the urine more or better than Vitamin C alone? If I could get the amphetamine clearing effect very well just from Vitamin C alone, I would gladly do just that and wean myself from orange juice.

I really have to wrap up this post now, I do have a few chores to take care of at my friend's house. Thank you folks for any theorizing and anecdotes you can provide.

Regards,

-Chad
That's interesting, do you have any sources?
Old 10-19-11, 05:08 PM

GimmeSnow is on a distinguished road

I believe Vitamin C is usually acidic since it is usually in acidic foods. (Though they do make "non-acidic vitamin c tablets that you can buy).
Taking acidic foods and vitamin C supplements to lower tolerance is a very good question.
Acidic foods are alkalized by your body to balance it out and vice versa with alkaline foods. If you are wanting to raise the acidity of your body then that would mean eating a lot of alkaline foods and very few acidic ones.
In regards to your question about lowering tolerance with vitamin C at night, I would believe that it would have a very minor effect.
The way that I lower my tolerance is I will sometimes abstain from adderal for a weekend maybe once a month. During the two day break I excercise harder than usual walking maybe 3-5 miles on the treadmill each day. I also consume a lot of Vitamin C, fruits, vegetables, and omega 3 fats. (I guess you can consider it a health binge since i don't eat well all the time :P )

Then on monday morning I take my usual XR dose and it feels like how I felt the first weeks of being prescribed it. Very beneficial since I gain a high tolerance without doing this. I was up to around 70-90mg XR a day when i decided to do something to change my amphetamine consumption. Now i use only 20-30mg a day.
Hope this helped somewhat.
I'll follow up on any questions anyone has later this evening when i get home.
Old 10-19-11, 06:47 PM
Jr Member

prince is on a distinguished road

The true and tried method is to simply "flush" it out by doing exercises, movements and lots of water, I also noticed eating sugary foods or having a surge of carbs before bed makes the buzz last longer or hit harder or even come out of "no where" from XR and even IR in some instances.

I've been doing this for years. I can officially call my self the Adderall guru, but seriously I can make 5mg of IR hit me like it was 20mg and vice versa.
Eating, and drinking have minimal change on your neurological system with respects to Amphetimine salt mixes and such when done alone, but in combination with Hot water drinks like tea, Exercises and staying away from sugar before bed, you can sleep like a baby.

I typically take 60mg a day, but years ago I would have terrible trouble sleeping at night. By sheer accident, I decided to go the gym at night, once I left the buzz was gone. almost 90% got home, showered, and drank hot tea and was knocked out.

So to summarize to reduce the effects:

1-eat in regulatory consistent fashion, you won't have sudden surges out of the blue, steady sugar levels, steady homeostatic control of hormones ie; insulin and sugar.

2-exercise 2 hours before bed

3-flush out with hot water, caffeinated beverages

4-stay away from sugary foods before bed.

To magnify the effects.

Take right before/after a meal reason is going back to hormones regulation for insulin and sugar, having it on an empty stomach will not increase the effects and if anything they may decrease, also taking it on an empty stomach tends to cause stomach aches of sorts, most likey due to the PH and nature of the chemical mostly, from XR though, IR dissolves quite quickly, so I simply let it settle under my tongue.
Have a caffeinated drink
move around after taking it.
eat sugar.

These work for XR and IR, but IR is more predictable than XR in certain situation and vary from person to person.

Last edited by prince; 10-19-11 at 07:02 PM..
Old 10-19-11, 06:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,167 Times in 553 Posts
selita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud of

I traditionally drank orange juice 2-3 times a day, every day. I stopped drinking it in the mornings when I started on Adderall but still had some at night. Lately I stopped really drinking it at all... got a 6-pack of the wrong brand and didn't really like it... picky much? Anyway, lots of trouble sleeping recently, for several months. What has changed?

I have no idea! But I am going to drink juice again. It seems to be helping, or at least warding off scurvy.

Quote:
Early symptoms are malaise and lethargy. After 1–3 months, patients develop shortness of breath and bone pain. Myalgias may occur because of reduced carnitine production. Other symptoms include skin changes with roughness, easy bruising and petechiae, gum disease, loosening of teeth, poor wound healing, and emotional changes. Dry mouth and dry eyes similar to Sjögren's syndrome may occur. In the late stages, jaundice, generalized edema, oliguria, neuropathy, fever, and convulsions, and eventual death are frequently seen.[10]
Nobody wants that!