ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-11, 07:49 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,124 Times in 674 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
Fear!!!

How often does fear keep you from doing what you want to do? Do you have fear of success or fear of failure.
Old 04-19-11, 09:11 PM

Thanked 7,911 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fear!!!

Fear of the unknown. I really don't have any idea of what the future will be like. I can't even see my own scenarios of how things might turn out. So I just stay in fear of change and hope things always stay the same.
Old 04-19-11, 09:44 PM

Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,189 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future

I have a fear of failure after trying to do something the right way.I fear putting my all into something & then failing to accomplish what I was trying to do.It stops me from attempting all kinds of things.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buddy For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-16-11), Nick The Newbie (04-20-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-11, 10:40 PM

Bouncingonwalls is on a distinguished road

I fear failure which stop be doing a lot of things. i have failed in many things so now i don't expect myself to do a lot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bouncingonwalls For This Useful Post:
Nick The Newbie (04-20-11)
Old 04-19-11, 10:44 PM

Nick The Newbie has disabled reputation

I fear failure to because i always want to learn the right way so i am afraid i will learn the wrong way and have to double back... it's holding me back from doing a lot of things i love.. hopefully meds work..lol.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Albert Einstein
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick The Newbie For This Useful Post:
buddy (04-20-11), Offle (04-19-11)
Old 04-20-11, 02:22 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,114 Times in 541 Posts
wsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud of

How timely...
I've been reading a great book titled, "Extreme Fear"
After my last mtb accident, this book popped up and it's been a great read for understanding the subject of fear in humans.

=========
I know have a new diagnosis: Attention Difference Display / Happy Dance (ADD/HD)... I think it fits!
=========

Sometimes I worry that if I don't slow down... I'll run my batteries down and won't be able to recharge myself... powered down permanently at such a young age!
Old 04-20-11, 03:59 AM

Thanked 5,574 Times in 2,408 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Fear destroys my life and stops me from doing the things I want and need to do. I hate having PTSD coz the effect adrenaline has on me now makes things I used to love seem terrifying.
anonymouslyadd (10-16-11)
Old 04-20-11, 04:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

pianoraindream is a jewel in the roughpianoraindream is a jewel in the roughpianoraindream is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
I have a fear of failure after trying to do something the right way.I fear putting my all into something & then failing to accomplish what I was trying to do.It stops me from attempting all kinds of things.
I feel exactly the same way sometimes

Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace within the storm.
--(Source unknown)
The Following User Says Thank You to pianoraindream For This Useful Post:
Nick The Newbie (04-20-11)
Old 04-20-11, 08:52 AM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

Lets not confuse the fear of failure with the failure of success
Old 04-20-11, 10:04 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,243 Times in 699 Posts
Offle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to all

I'm not as afraid of failing short term goals when I'm not taking my adderall. When I'm unmedicated I come off, to people who don't know me well, as amazingly confident and brave but in reality it's just complete lack of foresight.

With long term goals I get bored with them or decide they're too much work and just give up before I even start.

When I'm on my adderall and I slow down to think about things I recognize that I could fail, and sometimes that does stop me. Other times I bite the bullet and keep telling myself I can do it. Most of the time I need an extra push from someone else though.

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty but the sight of the stars makes me dream."
-- Vincent Van Gogh
Old 04-20-11, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offle View Post
I'm not as afraid of failing short term goals when I'm not taking my adderall. When I'm unmedicated I come off, to people who don't know me well, as amazingly confident and brave but in reality it's just complete lack of foresight.

With long term goals I get bored with them or decide they're too much work and just give up before I even start.

When I'm on my adderall and I slow down to think about things I recognize that I could fail, and sometimes that does stop me. Other times I bite the bullet and keep telling myself I can do it. Most of the time I need an extra push from someone else though.
Why do you think the adderall helps you have confidence in achieving your short term goal
Old 04-20-11, 11:10 AM
Contributor

Surly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to all

Are we talking about fear or perfectionism? A lot of what people posted so far seems more like perfectionism. I was always not doing stuff because I felt I couldn't do it perfectly so why bother.

I a really way, lowering my standards has really helped.
My high tolerance for chaos is compensation for my low tolerance for B.S.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Surly Dave For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (04-20-11), Michiko74 (04-20-11)
Old 04-20-11, 11:59 AM

I have never been a profectionist
Old 04-20-11, 05:09 PM

arrow_ is on a distinguished road

Fear of failure and erring in front of others are major problems for me, probably due to anxiety and being a perfectionist (the latter probably being the byproduct of anxiety to a large extent).

I am not really concerned with doing or learning to do things the right way as long as I am successful. Blazing your own path and coming up with new ways to do things or think about things, even showing pre-existing ways to be "wrong," while still "succeeding," is better than conforming to whatever is inter-subjectively held to be the "right way."
Old 04-20-11, 05:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

happierin09 has disabled reputation

I would say fear of failure, fear of embarrassment due to failure, fear of doing something successfully and not being able to repeat it, perfectionism plays into all of it for sure, but I also think that I've messed so many things up that I'm afraid to even try sometimes. Fear of being alone has always played into things. A lot of times I'm afraid to talk in social situations because I lack confidence in myself and I've been overly open or said too much, so I sometimes just keep quiet to avoid that. I got married young, never really found out who I was to start with, and then had kids early, so I have a fear of really figuring myself out and not liking who I am. I guess I'm just afraid of a lot of things, but I think that the fear is at times a good thing, because getting over the fear of something makes you stronger, such as standing up for yourself, stepping out of your comfort zone in general, or succeeding when you were afraid to fail, or failing and learning it's okay to fail at something. Fear may hold us back, but it can also push us to do more.

The Following User Says Thank You to happierin09 For This Useful Post:
Michiko74 (04-20-11)