ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-19, 12:47 PM

italianstallion is on a distinguished road
Caffeine and ADHD, does it help or hurt?

Sometimes I feel like caffeine gives me an energy boost and some more focus, other times I feel like it does nothing and only makes it harder to relax and get rest later on.
Old 01-07-20, 10:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,001 Times in 567 Posts
kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all
Re: Caffeine and ADHD, does it help or hurt?

It always helps me at work to get me started and wake up
“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”
The Following User Says Thank You to kwalk For This Useful Post:
Rebelyell (01-24-20)
Old 01-08-20, 04:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

Monox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura aboutMonox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura about

For me it depends. When I'm already exhausted (either physically or psychologically), it really boosts my stamina. However, if I drink it when I'm almost exhausted, it takes me to my exhausted point instead.
Old 01-08-20, 09:51 AM

Alphawave is on a distinguished road

I found before I started meds and wasn't diagnosed, it helped. Now I'm on meds it increases anxiety badly
Old 01-09-20, 09:11 PM

Thanked 6,357 Times in 3,009 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

It helps a little, but after that no real effect. I can and do sometimes drink quite a lot- but its just a habit, and i easily stop it.
I'm used to having it when having a break- so maybe it has become a conditioned response to the stimulus of coffee.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 01-19-20, 11:13 AM

br3akingchains is on a distinguished road

It helps to an extent, only 1 or 2 cups of coffee...more doesn’t add anything. 5hr energy and monster drinks, now that there is gold! 3-5 of those a day did good things for me, maybe it’s all the vitamins and amino acids in them.
Old 01-23-20, 12:23 PM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to all

it depends on the amount that you drink and your tolerance
too much caffeine causes hand tremor on me, but it doesnt affect my attention in a negative way
Old 01-23-20, 09:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

Monox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura aboutMonox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre22 View Post
too much caffeine causes hand tremor on me, but it doesnt affect my attention in a negative way
Ah, so this is why I keep having tremor during normal conversation. Some people notice this and whenever they call me out of it, I brushed it off with "you scared me".
Old 01-24-20, 10:47 AM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monox D. I-Fly View Post
Ah, so this is why I keep having tremor during normal conversation. Some people notice this and whenever they call me out of it, I brushed it off with "you scared me".
when others notice and warn me, it makes tremor worse i guess anxiety of stopping it makes it worse

but also i am a smoker, so smoking too much causes it too

worst version of my hand tremor is when there is overdose combination of caffeine&nicotine, i really cant help with it because i love both so i try to ignore hand tremor
my psychatrist said i have some kind of rewarding behaviour, i cant tell that he is wrong
Old 01-24-20, 05:56 PM

AdrenalineRush is on a distinguished road

It depends too much caffeine and I also experience some hand tremors/sweaty palms. For the most part caffeine doesn't seem to cause me to become overly jittery or for my attention to be too bad. I might end up over focusing on something however and get wrapped up in it.
Old 01-24-20, 10:02 PM

Thanked 12,116 Times in 6,281 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

It helps me to be able to get up n function or I'd be a slug at work.also keeps my headaches at Bay or I'd have a migraine w out it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
kwalk (01-24-20), Little Missy (01-25-20)
Old 01-24-20, 10:04 PM

Thanked 12,116 Times in 6,281 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

People tell me at work I'm also very hyper n they can tell I've had alot of sugar n caffeine cause I'll be bouncing like Tigger driving a low rider.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
kwalk (01-24-20), Little Missy (01-25-20)
Old 01-25-20, 07:27 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,311 Times in 15,448 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I adore coffee and do not see myself ever giving it up.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (01-25-20)
Old 01-28-20, 10:17 AM
Jr Member

Slimmm is on a distinguished road

(Preface: Ephedrine is legal in my state - NJ)

Caffeine sometimes gives me more focus. The best med I ever had for ADHD symptoms was Xenadrine (ephedra/caffeine/aspirin). It was OTC, but then they outlawed ephedra. (The "Xenadrine" that is currently sold is a joke.)

Since then I've occasionally taken my own combinations of ephedrine, coffee, and aspirin, but have had no luck with my symptoms. That "cocktail" is a great stimulant, but it does not help with my ADHD symptoms.