ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 05-30-12, 05:55 PM

sky..- is on a distinguished road
Concerta -> No motivation really...

Greetings,

I am having no positive effects on my motivation what so ever, I am currently taking Concerta 54mg. I have tried going back to 36mg for a couple of days but its like the same as 54mg but just gives less effect.

The effect of Concerta is giving me just like this weird tired feeling, it does not seem to effect my motivation at all... It just makes everything more slow and me more tired... It rarely gives me a good motivation effect.

I was also on Ritalin for some years and that always worked great, no side effects apart from getting nervous at times but it gave me the motivation perfectly. I even remember been able to set my mind to anything,

Oh yeah and heres the thing, only about 10 times in total Concerta effected my motivation in a good way but those 10 times where great, about three months ago it gave me a good/positive effect on my motivation and I spent 5 hours working on a tiny image in photoshop that did not even need anything more, but it did turn out great after wards but the thing is the concerta worked perfectly.

The 10 times that Concerta gave me the positive effect on my motivation was very similar to the effect when I was on Ritalin.

My main final question,
So 95% of the time Concerta would give me this weird tired, relaxed feeling and making everything more slow. (not effecting my motivation).
NOW here's the other thing I remember Ritalin gave me the same effect but only twice (2 days out of over 750 days)..
With concerta it has been giving me that weird tired, slow feeling for 130 days out of 140)...

And I don't think its the dosage that matters as for example I took 54mg today/last month <-since doctor upped me and I get this weird tired slow feeling (NO motivation,etc)
I would take it tormmow there is a 98% chance that I would get the same weird tired slow feeling (NO motivation) , even if I took 36mg tormmow it would be the same as that weird tired feeling BUT a less effect.

Any ideas what might be causing this?, as I said in the last bit it does not seem to be the dosage (I think)...

So yeah, please?... Any tips,ideas,expierces,etc?.
Would be greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day and looking forward to your reply.

Thank You.
Old 09-25-13, 03:28 PM

annyuta is on a distinguished road
Re: Concerta -> No motivation really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky..- View Post
Greetings,

I am having no positive effects on my motivation what so ever, I am currently taking Concerta 54mg. I have tried going back to 36mg for a couple of days but its like the same as 54mg but just gives less effect.

The effect of Concerta is giving me just like this weird tired feeling, it does not seem to effect my motivation at all... It just makes everything more slow and me more tired... It rarely gives me a good motivation effect.

I was also on Ritalin for some years and that always worked great, no side effects apart from getting nervous at times but it gave me the motivation perfectly. I even remember been able to set my mind to anything,

Oh yeah and heres the thing, only about 10 times in total Concerta effected my motivation in a good way but those 10 times where great, about three months ago it gave me a good/positive effect on my motivation and I spent 5 hours working on a tiny image in photoshop that did not even need anything more, but it did turn out great after wards but the thing is the concerta worked perfectly.

The 10 times that Concerta gave me the positive effect on my motivation was very similar to the effect when I was on Ritalin.

My main final question,
So 95% of the time Concerta would give me this weird tired, relaxed feeling and making everything more slow. (not effecting my motivation).
NOW here's the other thing I remember Ritalin gave me the same effect but only twice (2 days out of over 750 days)..
With concerta it has been giving me that weird tired, slow feeling for 130 days out of 140)...

And I don't think its the dosage that matters as for example I took 54mg today/last month <-since doctor upped me and I get this weird tired slow feeling (NO motivation,etc)
I would take it tormmow there is a 98% chance that I would get the same weird tired slow feeling (NO motivation) , even if I took 36mg tormmow it would be the same as that weird tired feeling BUT a less effect.

Any ideas what might be causing this?, as I said in the last bit it does not seem to be the dosage (I think)...

So yeah, please?... Any tips,ideas,expierces,etc?.
Would be greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day and looking forward to your reply.

Thank You.
i have this problem too. what ended up happening?
Old 09-25-13, 06:09 PM
Jr Member

Atmozfearz is on a distinguished road

Maybe you need something more activating like an amphetamine (vyvanse, dexedrine, (adderall would be a good choice)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-13, 04:49 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,001 Times in 14,797 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like maybe the methylphenidate class of drugs doesnt suit you.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 09-26-13, 08:55 AM

annyuta is on a distinguished road

i tried Vyvanse and Adderall. Adderall made me angry and aggressive and the anxiety was awful, but it worked. Vyvanse worked too but the anxiety was so bad that i couldnt focus and it was counter productive.

So here i am. trying this class now.

But not getting any benefits! ugh!

Im on 30m of lexapro as well.
Old 10-20-13, 03:00 PM

Noppe102 is on a distinguished road

Most of the symptoms associated with ADHD/ADD are not direct effects of the disorder but cognitive and behavioral patterns used to counteract the effects of the disorder. Hyperactivity of body and/or brain act as stressors to keep you awake, and often anxiety and obsessiveness come about to force you to complete tasks you are not motivated to engage in.

Concerta and other stimulants can not make you tired, but they are capable of removing the hyperactivity that you used to "medicate" yourself with, making you feel the symptoms that are fundamental to your disorder more clearly. Stimulants also make you more alert and motivated, directly treating this problem themselves, but it does so by a separate effect that might not be strong enough at a certain dosage.

A different stimulant can create these effects at different ratios and that might be the preferable or only option as medications have a max dosage that you should abide to, but a strong stimulant like methylphenidate would ALWAYS produce the effect of motivation and alertness in EVERYONE if the dosage is high enough.
Old 10-21-13, 04:02 AM
Contributor

aarondev will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppe102 View Post
Most of the symptoms associated with ADHD/ADD are not direct effects of the disorder but cognitive and behavioral patterns used to counteract the effects of the disorder. Hyperactivity of body and/or brain act as stressors to keep you awake, and often anxiety and obsessiveness come about to force you to complete tasks you are not motivated to engage in.

Concerta and other stimulants can not make you tired, but they are capable of removing the hyperactivity that you used to "medicate" yourself with, making you feel the symptoms that are fundamental to your disorder more clearly. Stimulants also make you more alert and motivated, directly treating this problem themselves, but it does so by a separate effect that might not be strong enough at a certain dosage.

A different stimulant can create these effects at different ratios and that might be the preferable or only option as medications have a max dosage that you should abide to, but a strong stimulant like methylphenidate would ALWAYS produce the effect of motivation and alertness in EVERYONE if the dosage is high enough.
I'd say I agree with almost none of this.

The only part I do say is true is
1) In a high enough dose, any stimulant will indeed stimulate.

However, that hyperactivity or anxiety are somehoow just coping mechanisms people form is utter poppycock. I say this because it doesn't make sense; that people somehow subconsciously amp themselves into a fever pitch of energy that it in turn exacerbates their inattention? I've read 90% of the books out there on this ADD/ADHD, and this theory is supported in a grand total of none of them.

To the OP of Concerta: I had a similar experience when I was on too low of a dose. I appreciate that you're at 54mg and that that's considered 'highest' for a single pill form. But in reality, these are arguably arbitrary standards. I have siblings which find even 36 overpowering. And I've had friends that didn't need 54mg but once in a blue moon. Of myself personally, I actually find I function best on a full 108mg of the stuff. That's vastly more than I had to deal with for Vyvanse (60mg) or Adderall XR (25mg).

Two things I'd say to guide you on this:

1) If you're getting the generic and not brand name of Concerta, then consider heading to a different pharmacy. Different generics have different impacts on people. It's like saying that the cheapest versions of Colgate and Crest which are both mint impact your teeth equally. That's untrue. Some people prefer/get more out of one over the other. And it's that much more complex when we're dealing with your brain's synapses and not just teeth.

2) Remember to take Concerta with food. I honestly find almost no impact when I haven't eaten anything. Yet, when I take it with a meal high on protein, I find that the positive effects last for as long as the meal keeps me full (5hrs).
Old 10-21-13, 01:42 PM

Noppe102 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondev View Post
I'd say I agree with almost none of this.

The only part I do say is true is
1) In a high enough dose, any stimulant will indeed stimulate.

However, that hyperactivity or anxiety are somehoow just coping mechanisms people form is utter poppycock. I say this because it doesn't make sense; that people somehow subconsciously amp themselves into a fever pitch of energy that it in turn exacerbates their inattention? I've read 90% of the books out there on this ADD/ADHD, and this theory is supported in a grand total of none of them.
My only point relevant to OP is that anxiety can sometimes reach the same result as motivation, worries of consequences can move you with the same intensity as desire of result. It's easy to come into the habit of quantifying motivation by looking at how much work you accomplished while ignoring your reasons. You have to ask yourself if you're not working because you feel relaxed and content or because you feel fatigued and hopeless. If it's the first everything is working fine but it might not be quite enough yet. if it's the second there could be some side effect involved; perhaps the result of sleep deprivation?
Old 10-24-13, 06:02 AM
Contributor

aarondev will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My only point relevant to OP is that anxiety can sometimes reach the same result as motivation, worries of consequences can move you with the same intensity as desire of result. It's easy to come into the habit of quantifying motivation by looking at how much work you accomplished while ignoring your reasons. You have to ask yourself if you're not working because you feel relaxed and content or because you feel fatigued and hopeless. If it's the first everything is working fine but it might not be quite enough yet. if it's the second there could be some side effect involved; perhaps the result of sleep deprivation?
I agree that anxiety is useful, natural ingredient that helps to motivate people into action. However, I don't agree that when a person finishes their task they immediately forget their reasons for action even if they found a sense of accomplishment.

If a person feels 'hopeless' while they are on a stimulant, I'd say that person is likely suffering from depression. In which some form of anti-depressant can be useful since it helps someone get down to tasks easier.
Old 02-26-14, 06:42 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,180 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

Quote:

:goodpost