ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 09-14-18, 05:51 PM

Warrior820 is on a distinguished road
Out of control husband

Is personality changes normal when taking adderall? My husband has been in adderall for a couple years now after being diagnosed with ADD and a form of narcolepsy. He takes 30mg IR twice a day and 30 mg ER once a day. Over the years he has gotten out of control with it, taking up to 300mg a day. Once he runs out of it, itís like a different person, sleeps all day wakes up angry. He has destroyed our house, cars, cellphones ect. In fits of rage over running out and not having them. He riders to get up and work, shower, help with kids ect when he is out. He has even gone as far as taking our sons adderall. I have to hide all medicine daily and if he finds it, we ends up taking almost all of it. He is total and completely normal while taking it, just when he does not have it is when the personality changes come into play. At the end of every month is a living hell while walking on eggshells. I donít feel like he will ever be able to come off of it due to the narcolepsy but I cannot continue to live with him on it. Is this behavior normal for someone coming off of it? I feel like he has a serious drug problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior820 For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-14-18)
Old 09-14-18, 05:58 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,698 Times in 10,413 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Out of control husband

Extreme personality changes aren't normal with therapeutic doses of stimulants -- just a reduction in ADHD symptoms -- and people don't generally experience extreme personality changes when it wears off, either.

When someone abuses the medication (and taking 300mg/day when one is prescribed 90mg/day certainly qualifies as abuse), then the chance of personality changes, addiction, and serious side effects is much greater. I agree with your assessment that he has a serious drug problem.

It sounds like he could be experiencing some kind of withdrawal if he runs out suddenly after taking excessively high doses -- that's really going to mess around with his brain.

There are some threads in the Substance Abuse section dealing with the problems that can come with misuse of prescription stimulants that may be of help, and general advice on helping someone with a prescription drug problem applies.

I don't have personal experience with this, but I wish you strength and courage in dealing with the situation, and keeping yourself, your family, and your belonings safe.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (09-14-18)
Old 09-14-18, 06:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,989 Times in 12,127 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to post what Namazu did, but she beat me to it.
So I'll just say I agree with her.

I would only add that you might benefit from finding a Nar Anon meeting
for spouses and family members of drug addicts.

Sorry you're having to deal with this.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-14-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-18, 08:01 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

His medication misuse is hurting himself and his family. If he can't get his problem under control, you should either report him to his prescriber or set up a system in which someone else has to administer his meds each day. Because clearly he doesn't have the self-control needed to limit himself to the daily prescribed dose.

And modafinil could be an effective alternative to Adderall for his narcolepsy, with less misuse potential.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Warrior820 (09-16-18)
Old 09-15-18, 12:39 AM

Warrior820 is on a distinguished road

I have been holding on to them and giving him his correct daily dose, unfortunately he searches until he finds them and will take a couple. Which is how he runs out before time for a refill. He agrees to get help, that he has a problem and will try something else but when the time comes he refuses saying Iím the one That has a problem with him taking adderall. I feel like this is the final straw for us.
The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior820 For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-15-18)
Old 09-15-18, 04:01 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,247 Times in 7,592 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior820 View Post
Over the years he has gotten out of control with it, taking up to 300mg a day.
Holy crap that's an insane amount!
I think I'd be so wired at that point that it'd make me sick. I might get things done...but I'd be absolutely miserable the whole time. Super on edge and with tons of anxiety built up.

Quote:
Once he runs out of it, it’s like a different person, sleeps all day wakes up angry. He has destroyed our house, cars, cellphones ect. In fits of rage over running out and not having them.
This sounds like addiction. I'm no expert...but it's very clear here. I feel safe in saying this IS addiction.
It's crossed over from being dependence, into serious addiction.

Gah!
I wish I knew what to say.
To answer your question though...no...this is not at all normal for those who take adderall as directed by a professional.

I don't know what you can do for him . I never figured out how to help my dad from his gambling addiction.

Sorry I'm being harsh here in this reply.
I felt really frustrated when I read he was taking 300mg as day...and I'm not exactly sure why. It just really bugs me.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. Really sorry for him too...being in an active addiction freaking sucks .

(((Hugs)))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Warrior820 (09-16-18)
Old 09-15-18, 07:09 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,437 Times in 15,029 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Like the others have said, its addiction. You agreeing to dispense his meds is not helping him, its enabling him. The only way to overcome addiction is to stop using the substance you are addicted to. I am an alcoholic in recovery and I cant have any alcohol because if I do its like waking the beast and the problems are all out all over again. You may feel like you have some sort of control by dispensing his meds to him but you do not, especially if he hunts until he finds them anyway, you are just contributing to the problem. He may need drug treatment to overcome this problem. By agreeing to "help"him you are overlooking the obvious- that he has to help himself. You are not his babysitter and you have other people to be responsible for. You may need to give him an ultimatum. He needs to know you mean business. I know if I didnt suffer the consequences of my own actions, I would have never gotten sober.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (09-15-18), Rebelyell (09-17-18), Warrior820 (09-16-18)
Old 09-15-18, 03:58 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
The only way to overcome addiction is to stop using the substance you are addicted to.
Is it possible that he might benefit therapeutically (ADHD, narcolepsy) from his prescribed dose of Adderall, but that higher doses cause euphoria, which is what he is addicted to?

Perhaps the OP could use a locked box to keep the meds in?
Warrior820 (09-16-18)
Old 09-15-18, 06:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,265 Times in 5,503 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Is it possible that he might benefit therapeutically (ADHD, narcolepsy) from his prescribed dose of Adderall, but that higher doses cause euphoria, which is what he is addicted to?

that could buy a day or two till she isn't home and he grabs the crow bar outta the garage

sarahs right, he nees cut off
Old 09-16-18, 05:55 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,437 Times in 15,029 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post

Normally I am a proponent of medicating people with addiction problems if they need it. I am an alcoholic and take adderall and have taken necessary pain meds. (There are no rules for AA but I know people who frown on that but my sponsor know my deal) So if the husband was addicted to something else I would say yes, by all means medicate. But he is addicted to adderall. I do not see how he can use it as prescribed if he is addicted to it. If for some crazy reason alcohol was a medication I would never be able to take it responsibly. And the onus cant fall on the wife. She is not his babysitter, keeper or jailer. She has other responsibilities and to say she should be doling our his meds IMO is a crazy amount of responsibility. Especially when he turns the house upside down to find those meds. What is she supposed to do? Lock them up and swallow the key? I think she needs to lay out some ultimatums. No way can this keep on going.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-16-18), Warrior820 (09-16-18)
Old 09-16-18, 08:18 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
She has other responsibilities and to say she should be doling our his meds IMO is a crazy amount of responsibility.
To be clear, I wasn't intending to provide definitive advice...I was just thinking out loud some possibilities. OP should do what makes the most sense for her situation.

Reporting the husband could have a lot of negative consequences that need to at least be considered. He could be denied meds for his ADHD & narcolepsy for the rest of his life. He could experience extreme withdrawal effects that cause him to lose his job, become violent, etc. He could be forced into a rehab program that ends up bankrupting the family. He might even face criminal charges for stealing controlled substances from his child.

I'm not saying that she should't report him. But let's not act as if this is a simple situation with a clear cut solution. If it were, the OP would have solved this problem ages ago.
Warrior820 (09-16-18)
Old 09-16-18, 11:33 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,247 Times in 7,592 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

(((((((Warrior820)))))))

Sending out an e-(((hug))) to you.

I can't even begin to imagine how difficult emotionally this is for you :*(
What a rough spot to be in. Damn I feel bad.

(((((((Hugs)))))))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Warrior820 (09-18-18)