ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 05-28-08, 12:16 AM
ADDvanced Member

samm will become famous soon enough
Re: Drowsy/sleepy/tired from Ritalin and Concerta. HELP

I've been on methlyphenidate for about 2 months. i went to my doc today in the morning, i told him about the side effects of it and how i'm always tired and that since adderall is the #1 prescribed drug for add, that i owe to myself to give it a try.
I took the adderall today, (generic IR 10mgs 3-6 times daily), and so far it makes me talk like nonstop. lol. i guess i'm less tired and more engergic. hope it doesn't wear off in a few days and then back to tired.
Do u know if the generic is any different from brand adderall?

My gift: Inattentive Add
My regimen: Adderall IR 10mgs QID

Old 06-10-08, 10:09 PM

BpIsince1990 is on a distinguished road

I actually feel tired and sleepy on Ritalin as well...

I don't understand it. I currently take 80mg (20mg x 4/day) and initially, I felt very "calm" then just sleepy. I take Ritalin for concentration difficulty (I am Bipolar and take Lithium) I know that Lithium can inhibit the stimulants, but why would I only feel sleepy and tired on Ritalin (80mg a day!) and not be able to focus at all on what I want to? I can't focus at all. I'm just sleepy. Oh, and I must note that I get 8 hrs of sleep a night.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts or experiences...

BpI
Old 07-05-08, 03:29 PM

failurebydesign will become famous soon enough

heyas. I am feeling the same effects as you. i only started taking ritalin around 2 and a half weeks ago, and at first it seemed like a wonderdrug because i was much more focused and happier since it was the first time ever my mind felt like it wasn't going to explode from going a zillion miles per hour in every direction, but now I am feeling so tired.

I started on 20mg and increased it to 40. my motivation is still really lacking and im finding it hard to motivate myself to do anything that requires energy. I was worse with motivation/ concentration/ thinking logically before- like way worse, so ritalin isn't that bad. and i managed to apply for a job and get an interview for the first time ever. also im able to control my impulses much more. However I am feeling tired, withdrawn and a little depressed probably because i cant motivate myself to follow through on my new thinking and do something constructive with the positive mental energy i have.

im going to ask my psych to try me on adderall and see what she says. because ritalin losts too little, and makes me way too quieet.

has anyone with these symptoms switched and found it more positive?

take care
ally
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-10, 01:38 AM

Gandalf is on a distinguished road

Getting a Ritalin dose correct is a very complex procedure! Consult your pdoc until you find a solution. I've experienced similar effects; for me the solution was taking my second dose earlier in the day.

On a side not, I find napping is time well spent. If you can get to sleep quickly (< 5min) and if you find when you wake you feel refreshed, then why not nap!
Old 10-28-10, 10:02 PM

mammalspod will become famous soon enough

I actually feel much sleepier and less focused with the combination of methylphenidate and caffeine. It makes me slow and depressed as well. I have been a caffeine drinker for years but as soon as I get back on meds I need to go cold turkey or else the meds are pointless.
Old 11-05-10, 02:33 PM
Jr Member

moka will become famous soon enough

Has anyone found an alternative that really works?

I started with concerta almost six months ago and got that intense fatigue and lethargy. It wasn't withdrawal because when I brought in my "mood diary" to the doc, she said my fatigue level perfectly matched the chart describing levels of the drug in the bloodstream over time. She switched me to ritalin IR to see if it would help. to my surprise, it was slightly better but not much.

Then I tried adderall xr for a few months. It helped slightly with attention but not much. For each dose increase (started at 5mg 1xday and increased to 10mg in the morn and 5mg in the afternoon) I had 3-4 days of good, effortless work. Along with that went increased anxiety (sometimes severe) and insomnia. eventually the insomnia would catch up with me even on that low dose. after a couple of weeks, the anxiety and insomnia decreased but by then my focus was back to nothing. I also have increased bp and heatrate. i might focus better on a higher dose but i don't think i can tolerate it.

I asked for an alternative and the doc suggested biphutrin, which i just found out is a different xr version of methylphenidate. I like the idea better than concerta (which is nonsensically backloaded) but i don't see how it'll be any better. I'll try it and see how it goes... but I wish i knew if there were something else out there. From what I recall, my attention and motivation was better on ritalin when I could get over the overwhelming fatigue.
Old 11-15-10, 06:52 AM

frigg is on a distinguished road

I get tired from Ritalin too. I find that it works a bit randomly. Sometimes I get focused and do things with a sense of urgency, other times I get so drowsy and zoned out, it's as if I've taken Valium and not Ritalin.. Also the same dosage affects me differently from day to day. I wish it wasn't so random, it makes planning hard and I'm always so unsure what to take or if I should take anything at all when I need to be around people/be on my best behaviour/be normal/deliver what is expected of me.
Old 07-02-12, 08:00 PM

ArchangelM is on a distinguished road

I believe I have the answer to this question / syndrome. My answer is based on the work by Dr. Paul Cheney with CFS and Fibro as I strongly believe in his protocol and follow it. I believe the "true ADD" people will benefit from Ritalin and not become tired. It's a actually a good "test" drug.

Here's what you'll need to prove my theory correct or incorrect:

Ritalin 10 MG
Valium 10 MG

Take the 10 MG's of Ritalin. Feel tired and "worse?" Your brain is actually in seizure mode. Now take the 10 MG's of Valium. Feel better? You should. You have just taken your brain out of seizure mode.*

Doctor Cheney's theory is that the human brain and it's dysfunction operates on a scale from 1 - 10 1 being coma, 10 being seizure. In CFS/Fibro we see the paradox effect of CFS'ers getting energy from benzos like Valium, Klonopin. Why, their brains running a constant 8/10 in seizure. In ADD you have the opposite. The brain is running in constant Coma 2/10. Therefore stimulate it with Ritalin and its back up to a normal 5/10.*

For those of you who are getting tired on Ritalin you are likely misdiagnosed as ADD and you fall into the CFS/Fibro umbrella. Take 10 MG's of Valium (counterintuitive yes) and you will notice you "get" energy!

The permanent fix for this is Lyrica. Lyrica works on GABA receptors, GABA is the benzo site, the calming neurotransmitter. Note: taking GABA from a health food store will do nothing for you as GABA does not cross the BBB (Blood Brain Barrier).*

Start low on Lyrica as the first week or two you'll feel drunk of dizzy. You will then notice your brain comes into a normal state where you can think straight, sleep well, and react normally. Your brain is no longer in "seizure mode" which has been keeping you tired your whole life.

Take no more than 75 MG's of Lyrica daily. Doctors are prescribing it way too high. Take the 75 mg's at bedtime.

Read up on Dr. Paul Cheney's work re: the seizure hypothesis of CFS/Fibro. He used Klonopin, but since his work Lyrica was introduced into the market and works more as a cure instead of a band-aid.

I hope this post helps answer this very difficult question.

- Archangel Michael*
Old 07-02-12, 11:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

I don't know about all that sounds sketchy. Usually concerta or Ritalin wakes me up and has for years but I have been on it a long time .... Maybe higher doses can do this but I doubt it. It's more of the environment making you tired , or something else . Ritalin may not be the issue . Don't know about lyrics , though I am curious about its uses.
Old 07-25-12, 01:04 AM

sky..- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
He started me with strattera at 25mg and moved up to 80mgs. the side effects of this medication were unbearable. Constant tiredness and lack of energy...etc
oh tell me about it, that strattera is hell I tell you !!!!..

Strattera is just a nightmare, I know that feeling you must of had....
ahh man its just awful awful awful.

and not the side effects but the way it effects you, its like your in this 3rd person mode..

I remember in strattera 80mgs and my life changed when I was on it,
reality was just so weird...

everything was so spaced...

at times it was like everything you see and think was just nothing, it was just like space. black and white of nothing.

strattera is awful man
Old 03-22-18, 03:55 PM

getthingsdone is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem with Ritalin. I sleep longer than usual at night and still crave a nap all day long. This is totally unhelpful.
Here are my notes from the medicines I tried because Insurance required "step therapy":
• Vyvanse use coincides with a pattern of abdominal cramping, mild diarrhea, and drowsiness late afternoon. Hard to tell if or when help starts due to the cramping in the morning and sleepiness later, and these effects are more unhelpful than helpful.
• Methylphenidate use makes me sleep longer at night and still crave a nap all day long. This isn’t helpful at all. I do better with no medicine.
• The day I retried Amphetamine/Dextroamphetamine in small amounts (3/16 notes below) I still felt shakiness in hands and arms and weakness. I wanted to find anything else to do instead of tasks requiring concentration. I felt tense instead of calm. I need to be able to pay bills, manage family business affairs, prepare tax information for accountant, etc., and I struggled to stay still or focused long enough on this medicine. This doesn’t help.
• I went back to Dextroamphetamine ER. I felt calm and focused without any negative side effects and I got a lot done. This medicine helps and I feel more like a normal person.
Old 05-20-18, 02:43 AM

vvvkkk is on a distinguished road

HI I have very similar symptoms. I've been taking Ritalin for a week - this is my first ADHD medication as I was only recently diagnosed. The first week I was on 10mg a day in two half doses. Just day I switched to 20mg two full tablets twice a day as instructed.

When I first took the first dose I definitely felt it! I've taken speed before many years ago so I know what what it feels like. Over the week the effect fell away pretty quickly but I felt I was getting excellent therapeutic effect, plus my sleep was only disrupted for the first couple of days after that was very normal.

However, yesterday, my last day on half dosage, I got sleepy in the afternoon soon after having the second dose, and had to have a nap. OK I thought, my tolerance is growing, and I didn't have a great night sleep the night before (not because of the drug) so I didn't really think much of it. Today, my first day of full dosage I had the same thing! Definitely in the morning I could feel the additional effect of the full dose. Just after lunchtime when it wore off, I took the second pill. A half an hour later I was yawning uncontrollably and just had to have a full hour and half nap!? WTF? Right now I feel good; no longer sleepy, and able to focus properly.

So glad to find this thread and see I am not alone. I can't experiment with the dosage much because here in Australia, I have to go to the pharmacy each week to be doled out a week's worth of the drug; Ritalin is strictly controlled because of the PBS and an illegal amphetamine epidemic (but the PBS means it only costs $15 for 100 tablets). Apparently Concerta isn't on the PBS schedule so is hella expensive.

Appointment with my psych on Friday I will discuss with her and report back what she says / what actions she takes.