ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 06-02-13, 04:18 PM

oleg123 is on a distinguished road
My girlfriends dog is to much to handle

So, my girlfriend has a dog, which I can't stand. I can not concentrate on anything at all with the dog running around. We broke up three weeks ago because of this.

Some days ago we had a talk and I told her more specifically why I can't stand her dog. She wanted me to see someone to talk about it and hopefully resolve the problem, so that I can be in the same room as the dog without my brain entering berserker mode, stressing itself out and eventually just break down.

I agreed on that, and on this condition we are together again, and also, I don't have to see the dog until I feel I can handle it, she leaves it at her parents.

The thing is, I feel I'm only fooling her... I really don't see how talking to someone will change anything. I don't know what to do, I've told her that there's no guarantees it will work, but I feel I should tell her that it probably wont work, but I love her so much I really don't want to see her go. Any ideas?
Old 06-02-13, 04:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,018 Times in 2,905 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My girlfriends dog is to much to handle

When you need to focus on something important, can't you just keep the dog out of the room you're in?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (06-03-13)
Old 06-02-13, 04:34 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 21,438 Times in 12,635 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't the dog be kept away from you? Are you afraid of the dog because it shows aggression? If it doesn't show aggression can't it be kept in parts of the house you only go in if you have to?
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (06-02-13), Fraser_0762 (06-02-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-13, 04:38 PM
Contributor

Meagan has a spectacular aura aboutMeagan has a spectacular aura about

Is the dog badly behaved and in need of training?
Old 06-02-13, 04:39 PM

Thanked 6,018 Times in 2,905 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meagan View Post
Is the dog badly behaved and in need of training?
Or perhaps some Ritalin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (06-02-13), Sandy4957 (06-09-13)
Old 06-02-13, 04:46 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,262 Times in 8,596 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly what is the reason you have a problem with this dog? Does he scare you or distract you? What does he do?
Old 06-02-13, 06:06 PM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,112 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I'd like to know what the dog is doing wrong too, are you frightened of it or are you one of these people who hates dogs??

Sel x
Old 06-02-13, 07:30 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ThinkingOutLoud is a jewel in the roughThinkingOutLoud is a jewel in the roughThinkingOutLoud is a jewel in the rough

Ive avoided dating people because they had a dog before. Ive always been afraid of them because I was bitten between the eyes when I was 5.

Somehow my b/f now has a dog. I got to know him a little before I found out about the dog. Didn't know how to handle it but I met her and she is wonderful. Mind you Ive only seen her for a total of 5 minutes ever. We are never at my boyfriends house.

So Im not exactly sure how this is supposed to work either. Im told the dog sleeps in the bed :/ I have cats and they sleep in the bed...

Let me know how the counseling works.... I may have to join you on that

Hugz
Old 06-02-13, 07:39 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,960 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Your girlfriend thinks this is your problem not the dog's problem.

Is this a normal OK kind of dog and you simply are bothered by dogs in general? If that's the case, you may need to meet someone who doesn't have a dog.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (06-02-13)
Old 06-02-13, 07:53 PM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,112 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with dvdnvwls on this one!! If the issue lies with you then maybe you need to reassess your relationship....Someone people actually value their companion animal friends more than they value their human friends so be careful where you tread with your complaint...Just sayin'

Sel x
Old 06-02-13, 09:40 PM

Thanked 10,525 Times in 5,692 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe its the other way around.lol
Old 06-02-13, 10:06 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,960 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
Maybe its the other way around.lol
Which other way around? You may be right, but I want to know what it is you're right about!
Old 06-02-13, 11:41 PM

Thanked 10,525 Times in 5,692 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Kiddingly the dog thinks the same as the add guy he cant handle the adhd .hope im on same page here dv.
Old 06-02-13, 11:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,917 Times in 823 Posts
keliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond repute

I will choose my dog over a significant other every single time. If you honestly know that you just cannot handle your girlfriend's dog and you don't want it around, then you need to reevaluate the relationship in general. It's not fair for you to try and make her get rid of her beloved pet just because you don't like it. You haven't explained what the exact issue is with the dog - are you afraid of them? is the dog poorly trained? is it distracting? do you just not like dogs?

Whatever this is, it's a problem you're going to have to deal with because this is her dog, her little furry baby, and if she feels the way about her dog that I do about mine, if you make her choose between the two of you, she's going to choose the dog without hesitation. It sounds like she already has before, and will have no problem doing so again.

"I've got a mountain to climb before I get over this hill
I've got the world to unwind before I ever sit still..."
- A Long Way to Get, Bob Schneider
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keliza For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (06-03-13), LittleFrog (06-03-13), salleh (06-03-13)
Old 06-03-13, 12:14 AM

Thanked 8,347 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

..the lesson to be learned is that .....it is not bright to come between a fur baby and it's momma or daddy .....Keliza is not the only one who would choose her fur child over any one ....I suspect that most pet "owners " ...( but it is really the other way around) .....would bail on humans before giving the critter up ....

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (06-03-13), keliza (06-03-13), LittleFrog (06-03-13), RockyFSquirrel (06-03-13), ThinkingOutLoud (06-03-13)