ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 06-19-13, 10:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

chris87 has a spectacular aura aboutchris87 has a spectacular aura about
Issues with a coworker

I was wondering if I could get some advice on how to deal with a work related concern. I work for a credit card company and occasionally deal with customer account issues. In this particular instance, the customer was asking if they could get a 0% offer applied to their account, so that they could make a purchase at one of our retail partners. Since my department doesn't handle this type of request, we have to send an email to a specific contact person in the correct department.

While speaking with the customer, I had never indicated that in order for him to get the 0%, he had to make the purchase from our retail partner. I thought it was self-explanatory, but apparently, the customer made the purchase elsewhere.

I received an email from the lady in the other department telling me that the customer had not made the purchase from our retail partner. She had gone back and played the call (our conversations are recorded), and I had never told the customer that the purchase had to be made at our retail partner. I would have been absolutely fine with her correcting me, but what she did really annoyed me...in the email, she cc'd my direct manager and also another manager on my floor. The one person isn't even my boss.

I could understand if I did this repeatedly, but this is the only time that I've ever made this error. I know that I should just let this go, but it's really bothering me. I'm really tempted to email her back, cc her supervisor, and let her know that it was unnecessary for her to notify my boss. I understood the mistake and it wouldn't happen again.

What is the best way to handle this situation?

I appreciate any advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to chris87 For This Useful Post:
tudorose (06-20-13)
Old 06-19-13, 10:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,014 Times in 632 Posts
janiew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud of
Re: Issues with a coworker

It's very understandable why you are upset. It's not a recurring issue and someone "told" on you. If I were you, I would let it go, chalk it up to experience, and make sure it doesn't happen again. Do not email the lady who told on you under any circumstances. That could make it worse.

If your supervisors talk with you about, tell them you made a mistake, a one time occurrence and it won't happen again.

Downplay it with everyone. But especially in your own brain.

Hugs!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to janiew For This Useful Post:
emily848 (06-20-13), Fraser_0762 (06-19-13), SquarePeg (06-20-13)
Old 06-19-13, 11:54 PM
Forum ADDvocate

MellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of light

Let it go. Her yelling for in a crowded theater was enough of theatrics to make her seem also pretty bad. If anything I would just bring it up in your next 1:1 with your direct leader and make sure they understand your position. And also remember that she's kind of an a-hole and to stay on her nice side. Politics are stupid but she appears perfectly comfortable calling people out for simple mistakes. And your mistake was very simple.

...DX: ADHD-C, GAD, Major Depression, PD
...RX: Adderall XR, Lexapro, Valium, Vit D, Fish Oil, MultiVit, Vit B
The Following User Says Thank You to MellyFishButt For This Useful Post:
stef (06-20-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-13, 12:22 AM

Dodger is on a distinguished road

OK, you are working with a sociopath whom will probably have little effect on your performance review. Keep up the good work ( I wish I could).
Old 06-20-13, 04:21 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,232 Times in 14,914 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

did you get in trouble because of this?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-20-13, 04:34 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,014 Times in 13,120 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellyFishButt View Post
Let it go. Her yelling for in a crowded theater was enough of theatrics to make her seem also pretty bad. If anything I would just bring it up in your next 1:1 with your direct leader and make sure they understand your position. And also remember that she's kind of an a-hole and to stay on her nice side. Politics are stupid but she appears perfectly comfortable calling people out for simple mistakes. And your mistake was very simple.
Exactly! this makes HER look petty.

I work for a partner and an associate (among others...) and the rather hysterical associate copied the partner on a mistake I made that was not even remotely related to his work.
fortunately he came to my desk for something else, and I blurted, "I can't believe she put you in copy of that email!!!"

and he said, "il faut faire la part des choses" which I don't know how to translate but is something like I should "de-dramatize/pritoritize/balance" and he added, "she's a bit insane". so really, it just made her appear unstable to her direct boss.
Old 06-20-13, 06:51 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,972 Times in 2,156 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

The joys of working in a call centre. Generally it's established protocol to email the boss so that the boss can then pass the feedback on to you.

I know when I was working in call centres I used to get really mad when people came straight back to me rather than going through the boss. A lot of time time feedback via the boss would be something to the effect of that someone had made a complaint about me and that the boss had told them to get over it.