ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 09-30-09, 05:28 PM

BowTech is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse is working, but is it the wrong medication?

I have been on Vyvanse for six months. I started at 30 mg's, and was bumped up to 50 mg's two months later. It has helped me greatly, but now that school is back in session, I am worried that it is not as beneficial as I had thought. Now I realize that ADHD medication is not a cure-all, don't get me wrong. I am just starting to wonder if there is a more beneficial medication out there other than Vyvanse.

I have always been able to focus in school. Although it was very difficult, I was able to force myself to pay attention. I was the same way during my freshman year at college. Now that I am taking more rigorous classes, I find that is is next to impossible to pay attention in class.

I have tried Adderall, and although it worked great, it was not the best choice for me. I did not like the crash or the short coverage it caused, even with the XR. I did, however, gain the ability to focus and complete my assignments on time.

With Vyvanse, having started it during the summer months, I thought this medication would yeild the same results. I was making this assumption while out of class, so I had nothing to judge it by. I was effective at work and was very calm at home (no fidgeting). I was not hyper, which used to embarrass me. After going to a few weeks of class, I am beginning to think that this is not the medication that is best for me. Sure I am calm and appear interested in the material during class, but I find myself day dreaming. This behavior is unacceptable by me.

To sum it up, I do not notice an improvement in concentration from this medication, which is what I was hoping for. I am a bit worried about a change in medication during the middle of the semester though. Sure Vyvanse, for me, works better than nothing, but I feel that there may be another medication I can benefit more from.

Any ideas?
Old 10-01-09, 12:24 PM
Contributor

demo3210 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Vyvanse is working, but is it the wrong medication?

Well, 50mg isn't exactly high. You might want to consider something along 60-70mg. Some people on here have posted that 60-70mg is the average dosing for adults that is most effective. I've never seen the studies that verify that though; it's just hearsay.

If Adderall XR worked well for you, maybe you want to go back and just get an evening booster?

Also, you could still try Concerta if you haven't already. I used to take Concerta and that would make me far more analytical towards work than Vyvanse or Adderall ever did. I was interested in almost every detail.

Concerta did not give me the well-rounded coverage that Vyvanse does. On Vyvanse I can function in other areas Concerta would not let me such as being sociable; Concerta had a tendency to make me more irritable. Though, Vyvanse has its drawbacks such as I am not interested in every detail and I only skim large blocks of detailed texts instead of reading every word, which I think is more normal - I think Vyvanse better suits my functional needs.

Something interesting someone once posted on these forums was that in AA, they have something called GOYA, which means Get Off Your A...and that person was applying that terminology to ADHD meds in the sense that medication only can do so much and then it is up to us to go the rest of the way. Meds solely will not carry us the whole way, nor should they.

Most people do daydream.

Best of luck to you.
Old 10-01-09, 12:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Kiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of light

BowTech....I started on 30mg Vyvanse and at 30mg felt little more than decent nights sleep and couple cups of coffee although it did last several hours. By the time I got to 60mg I knew I was getting the kind of marked results I was looking for but it took 1-2 hours to take effect and if taken at 6:00AM petered out by 4:00PM.....well I was bumped to a single 70mg cap last week as opposed to two 30mg caps from previous rx and it has made far more difference than I could attribute to 10mg difference alone....maybe one 70mg is better compounded/designed than two 30mg.....anyway, I get noticable effect at about 45 minutes and it is so smooth that I have no crash (rarely notice anything aside from normal sleepiness around 10:00PM) and I made it through school last night till 10:00PM with no problems at all.

I wouldn't give up on Vyvanse just yet. I am 6'2" and 195 lbs and believe size, metabolism and other factors affect effects. You have also gone thru the "adjustment" phase from Adderall to Vyvanse and changing meds without first upping dose would cause you to go thru breakin all over again with different med and THEN still have to lock down dosage.

I would talk to Doc and see about bumping up to 70mg before making a big switch. I wonder sometimes, and prolly always will, being on only the second stim made (started on methlyephenidate*/ritilin and your Concerta is same) if it is the absolute best one for me.....but now at 70mg Vyvanse with positive results, I ain't jumping ship yet....one bird in the hand is worth two in the bush so to speak. My Doc has made statements that he has adults on 100mg of Vyvanse, so you have much room to increase before bailing.

Wish ya luck my friend.

*After trying and learning the differences in chemical design of different stimulants I "fondly" refer to Concerta, Focalin, Ritilin, Medatate, all methylephenidates as "pho-phetamines" as they are not true amphetamines, stimulants yes, but not the same.....clearly my system won't accept them as many others do and who are successfully treated with this class of stimulants.

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying. ~ Oscar Wilde
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-09, 02:55 PM

BowTech is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your replies. Yes, I am a firm believer in GOYA, as I do realize that medications will not fix things.

I am sorry I left out these important details in my original post:

As far as increasing the dosage, my doctor does not want to go any higher. He said that Cymbalta, which I take, works in synergy with Vyvanse, and it should be doing the job. He is worried about going any higher. I have asked him if I can be bumped up a few times, to which he did not agree. The next visit I asked about the possibility of a booster, which yielded the same results. I also think he believes the interaction between my sleeping medication and Vyvanse could become dangerous at a higher dose (I could not sleep even before Vyvanse).

I would prefer an increased dose rather than a change of medications, but my doctor will not allow a dose adjustment. I do not agree, but I have not gone through medical school.
Old 10-11-09, 02:18 PM

ShaunC is on a distinguished road

I take about 20-45mg of adderall XR per day, and recently my doctor suggested that I switch to Vyvanse as well with the hope that it would eliminate some of the anxiety that I have. I took 70mg of Vyvanse as recommended last Friday, but felt that it gave me more of a calming effect than a concentration effect. I took 70mg at about 7:00AM, but didn't feel anything at all until 8:15AM I do not feel that it helped my focus though. I had class that day from 8:00AM to 8:50AM and I was able to pay attention better during class because I was less anxious, but I was less focused than when on Adderall XR. After class I tried to do some homework before my next class, but got next to nothing accomplished. Then I was overcome with feelings of sadness. I also got this same feeling of sadness when I began taking Adderall XR for the first time, so maybe it's not a big deal. I just felt like my focus wasn't as good on Vyvanse even though I was calmer and less anxious. Is this similar to anybody else? Also, is this indicative of a correct dosage, or should my dosage be lowered or raised based on the above information. I will consult my doctor before making any decisions, but was just wanting some advice. Thank you.
Old 10-12-09, 01:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

Childe Roland has a spectacular aura aboutChilde Roland has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunC View Post
I take about 20-45mg of adderall XR per day, and recently my doctor suggested that I switch to Vyvanse I took 70mg of Vyvanse as recommended last Friday, but felt that it gave me more of a calming effect than a concentration effect.

I was less anxious, but I was less focused than when on Adderall XR. Also, is this indicative of a correct dosage, or should my dosage be lowered or raised based on the above information.
You might need more Vyvanse; although, many doctors are not comfortable perscribing more than 70mg. Also, you might want to ask yourself if the decreased side effects are worth having a slightly less effective drug. I mean, focusing better without tics or anxiety might be superior to focusing like a demon with tourettes! :P

I've seen this dose equivalence posted all over the net; although, it is not official.

30 mg Vyvanse = 10 mg Adderall XR
50 mg Vyvanse = 20 mg Adderall XR
70 mg Vyvanse = 30 mg Adderall XR