ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-04, 10:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

streetsk8er794 is on a distinguished road
Has medication changed your life for the better? - adults with ADD

I'm constantly worrying how to "get better", but I know eventually that I will get medication. But I also worry that medication somehow won't fix my problems. I just need reassurance from people who have taken medication that it does work wonders, and if it doesnt, please reply also. Have you developed more confidence, has your self-esteem risen, have you been able to enjoy life more, are you worrying less often, have you become more succesful, etc?
Old 09-16-04, 11:25 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,064 Times in 578 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsk8er794
I just need reassurance from people who have taken medication that it does work wonders...
The right dosage of the right medication(s) will work wonders for you. It just may take you some time to find what works for YOU.
Quote:
Have you developed more confidence
Yes, immensely more confident then I once was, which is directly related to my self-esteem...
Quote:
has your self-esteem risen
Yes, but after spending so many years undiagnosed, it continues to be a long road to "recovery". Have patience with yourself
Quote:
have you been able to enjoy life more
Yes, most certainly.
Quote:
are you worrying less often
Until recently, I would have said yes. I've recently had a bout of unrelated anxiety attacks. Again, the right meds work wonders

Quote:
have you become more succesful
Yes, I would not be nearly as successful in business today, had it not been for the diagnosis, and subsequent meds/treatment.

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:
FlightyBroad (01-03-14)
Old 09-16-04, 11:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

Onwari is on a distinguished road
Taking medication for me was like someone turned the lights on.

I was able to socialize with people. I almost feared people and being in a long conversation. But I made friends and I was able to stay on during the conversation. I would wait my turn to speak and I wouldn't forget what I was going to say either!

I never have been able to make eye contact with someone. Even though I fear someone stealing my soul (lol), I was able to make eye contact with important people who respected that human trait.

I would walk most of the time looking at the floor. While on my medication, I felt confident enough to look up. I was successful in school and passed my dreaded math classes.

The only drawback to this: I lost my hunter instinct.

There is nothing that will cure ADHD. If scientists were able to come up with a cure, I wouldn't want it. How long ago were you diagnosed? If it has been recently, you will understand what I mean in time.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-04, 11:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

streetsk8er794 is on a distinguished road
Well, I have had a drug problem during the past year, and have been able to kick every drug including coke and DXM, except for weed. For some reason I am so addicted to weed that I get depressed when I'm not high. But, I know that weed makes ADHD even worse, so I know I need to quit before things get out of hand. I realized I had ADHD after doing research on the web. I thought I had borderline personality disorder or bipolar disorder or something like that, lol. But then I saw the syptoms of ADHD (low self-esteem, anger, impatience, etc.) and right away I knew that was me. I am currently on wellbutrin for depression, but I'm never going to know if it works until I quit smoking.
Old 09-16-04, 11:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
Ditto what BIG said. Wellbutrin and Strattera have helped me save my life from going down the toilet.

I actually find I feel *more* like a hunter on these meds, though. Maybe it's because I'm inattentive, or maybe because the real effect of the meds is to life a residual depression that I've had for ages. In the end, who cares? I feel better as a result of my meds and therapy, and that's the thing that counds.
Old 09-17-04, 12:40 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
I have ADD and also suffer from anxiety. I went years with out being on medication. My views about ADD and medication have varied over the past several years. When I started taking medication for both ADD and anxiety I did have a lot of improvements in my life. I think the anxiety meds helped me more than my ADD meds but my anxiety makes my ADD worse so they indirectly helped my ADD.

Medication isn't a cure all and won't fix all the problems but the majority of people who take ADD medication do see improvements. It may take some time finding the correct med(s) and the correct dosage but most people benefit when they do.
Old 09-17-04, 02:51 AM

Toaster is on a distinguished road
well so far meds have done nothing, in fact i am more depressed than ever. I tried straterra then concerta 27mg, then concerta 36, then concerta 54mg and today i am taking 4 18mg pills, and still nothing. I feel abit more awake that is all. i hate this, i am so jealous of you all. maybe i dont have any add , maybe i am crazy or just so damned lazy. why cant anything ever work? endless torture, pain and disappointment.
Old 09-17-04, 06:12 PM

IndyCelt is on a distinguished road
I started on Strattera late last fall. Biggest change was the ability to focus at work. It helped a lot with reducing procrasination of projects at work and home. I didn't realize it until after I recently switched to Concerta (due to some nausea) that there was such a fall off on my focus on the Strattera. The Concerta is like a breath of fresh air. I have accomplished a ton of things in the past two weeks due to increased energy and focus level.

Cheryl
Old 09-17-04, 07:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

Vero is on a distinguished road
Absofreakinlutely I am better on meds. I have been on Strattera since last January and although recently it kinda feels like it's not working as well as it was in the beginning I still can focus well at work. I've been noticing that I don't wake up so well in the morning now and I need coffee again to wake up. Maybe someone can comment on that. But I had anxiety too and that hasn't returned. My job has been way stressful lately - maybe that has something to do with it? I am talking to my doc next week. We'll see...
Old 09-17-04, 07:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

Vero is on a distinguished road
....speaking of not focussing - the one big thing that changed since I was diagnosed is my understanding of the disorder. The knowledge I have learned since has helped a lot too. (I meant to put that in my last post and submitted too soon!)
Old 09-18-04, 04:38 PM
Contributor

broK is on a distinguished road
welbutrin & stratta have made subtle differences for me, im not as paralyzed when i have to deal with new people, if i work at it i can concentrate on learning new things.

my supervisior at work tells me that he notices a difference, just doing my job more quickly (less disracted i think).

considering that my dr & i are still ajusting med levels, i think this is amazing .
Old 09-18-04, 07:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Draga has disabled reputation
I just need reassurance from people who have taken medication that it does work wonders...

For me it has worked wonderfully! My Bipolar meds make me less depressed and Dexadrine seems to boost my confidence and focus and it's done wonders with helping concentrate on my poems.

Meds do not make ya a success...You make yourself a success and confidence has to come within you too, BUT it's like meds...Gives the positive side of you that is buried or surfaced and Jolts them to the top and when it does...WOW Look ya Go! But the trick is finding the right one.

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.