ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 01-16-15, 02:09 AM

efullenkamp94 is on a distinguished road
Seeking assistance (First hand and medical) on the higher end medications

**Disclaimer One**
I will start out with the disclaimer that when I say medical I don't mean someone with a D.O. or M.D. but someone who has an above average knowledge of medication and medical terms. I assume that tends to encompass most people who have been on ADHD medications for a while.

**Disclaimer Two*
This is my first post to the website

Goal:
Advice / General steps taken for Adult ADHD for the higher end medications

Situation:
Adderall 10mg 2x daily tolerance has started

Info:
I am a 20.5 year old mail, 6'2" and weight goes between 150-160lbs range. That honestly depends on if it's summer or winter. Winter I tend to eat less because I don't go outside in the cold so I can control my eating better.

ADHD History:
I was Diagnosed in 3rd grade, and I am currently a Junior in college. I was originally started out on the round about doses of stimulants as a child. During this time I spent a year taking all of the other medications trying to find some that worked, and as it was 12 years ago I hope you can understand why I am giving the list in the follow format:
Known to have been on:
Adderall
Ritalin
Concerta
Clonidine

Sounds familiar:
Focalin
Vyvanse
Methylin
Dexedrin
I wanted to include the sounds familiar list because they sound like medications I was on during this year or so time period I just remember exactly I started Strattera in 4th grade. That worked until around my Freshman year of HS. From what I have heard it stops working after puberty in a large number of cases and it was causing me to sleep around 16+ hours a day. I was on Clonidine since 4th grade and I still am today, it helps slightly but it more helps at keeping me relaxed than purely focused.

Around my Freshman year of HS I was transferred back to Adderall and was put on 5mg 2x daily as a stable dosage. It was later increased to 7.5 2x, and now to 10mg 2x. I was raised in a medical family, and am actually the black sheep for studying actuarial science and not going to medical school as all of my siblings are currently in. Because of this I gathered enough respect for preferring a harm reduction and always looking into knowledge and having scientific reasons for what I discussed with my Psychs. Because of this my most recent Psych, who just retired, agreed that splitting a 10mg pill for 2x 5mg on the weekends was acceptable since I am concerned about tolerance.

Current Situation:
Starting around 6 months ago I noticed that the tolerance was starting to build up, first when I had my morning coffee (I don't wake up easily) did not cause me to have that tweaky feeling as much, until now I am having to consume 5+ cups a day to self medicate with caffeine as I wait the final 2 weeks to get into my first appointment with new psychiatrist. Also previously I could never sleep if it was still in my system, and just yesterday two hours after I took my first dose (Around 10:30AM) I feel asleep in a 400 level statistics course (Which wasn't from boredom). When that incident occurred I had 9 hours of sleep, this is odd because I typically tend to get around 7 hours.

I am going to ask my new psychiatrist to increase the dosage level but from what I have heard some patients with Adderall once you're forced to start increasing the dosage levels it's a slippery slope until is no longer effective.

Going forward I know that some of the higher end medications that can be prescribed are Modafinil (Off label, FDA refused to allow it to be on label because a few kid had rashes...), Desoxyn, Dexedrine. Has anyone here been in a relatively similar situation, or knows the medical aspects of going towards these higher end ones of increasing the Adderall dosage doesn't work.
Old 01-17-15, 06:19 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,180 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of
Re: Seeking assistance (First hand and medical) on the higher end medications

Hi, Im no expert but I have taken Dexamphetamine for a few years.
Your studying so this is stressful. Titrating up to a certain level is good. to hit the theaurputic window. I don't know if you're there yet. Your dr.
What made me reply was all the caffeine that you drink.
I do to. What I mean is staying at one level is really where you want to be.
We don't have Adderall but Dex is probably closer to Dexidrine ( I think).
You could give it a go.
By self medicating ith so much caffeine it could leason the effect of Adderall.
Goodluck
Old 01-20-15, 05:40 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,617 Times in 15,105 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Seeking assistance (First hand and medical) on the higher end medications

Do not medicate with caffeine like that.Some is ok but not that much. Until you find a stable dose, it may seem like tolerance is an issue but once you find that magic spot you pretty much even out and increasing tolerance should no longer be an issue. 10mg is not that much. I take 20mg three times a day and that has been the same for three years.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
michaelaisabell (01-20-15), Pilgrim (01-21-15)
Sponsored Links