ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 11-15-17, 06:27 AM

perchick is on a distinguished road
What do you guys do when your attention starts to slip in the middle of a task?

Hey awesome people

What do you do when you are working on a task for a while, everything is going great and BOOM! your brain wants to check the messages on your phone (which is turned off) or just go for a quick facebook stroll (I know im not allowed but just a quick check and go right back to work) or "ill just go and drink some water and go right back to work after"?

I know im laying to myself and if ill stop working it will be so hard to start again. the problem is, after an hour or two working on a task, my brain starts to just jump to this stuff every couple of seconds and its so hard to control. No matter how much i try, I can't regain focus after the first time im thinking I need a break. I know that most likely I will not start again after 5 minutes break (ill be lucky if I start again after half an hour) but I can't focus anyway so whats the difference.

kinda of a catch 22, no matter what I can't continue with my task.

My thoughts are that I may need to discipline myself out of this habit but from my experience, trying to fight my ADHD with pure will power is an awful idea. but if its just a bad habit, it may just work.

What do you guys think?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to perchick For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-15-17), namazu (11-15-17)
Old 11-15-17, 08:56 AM

Arthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the rough
Re: What do you guys do when your attention starts to slip in the middle of a task?

I split my working time in parts of 25 min in which I have to try and work. Then I take a break with whatever I felt like doing of say 5-10 min, and there we go again.

It is not so much that I have to work during those 25 min but that I have to try. Of course, it happens very frequently that 25 min is too long, but occasionally it also happens that I overflow 5 min into my next alarm (thus "working" for 30 min).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arthos For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-15-17), namazu (11-15-17), WhiteOwl (11-15-17)
Old 11-15-17, 08:58 AM

Arthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the rough
Re: What do you guys do when your attention starts to slip in the middle of a task?

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchick View Post
My thoughts are that I may need to discipline myself out of this habit but from my experience, trying to fight my ADHD with pure will power is an awful idea.
That's what I found. The harder I try the worse it seems to get.

That's why I don't strictly enforce the 25 min rule I described in my previous post.

It also helps to work on multiple tasks so that when you are stuck with one you can switch to another. When you then go back to your previous task it's hopefully with a fresh mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthos For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-15-17), namazu (11-15-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-17, 10:42 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,487 Times in 3,095 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't do anything, because I don't even realize i'm being sidetracked. It just kind of happens without really being aware of it. Eventually i'll realize that i've been sidetracked (hopefully) and i'll pull myself back on task again (hopefully).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-15-17), namazu (11-15-17), WhiteOwl (11-15-17)
Old 11-15-17, 11:01 AM

Thanked 34,110 Times in 15,441 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

take a break, walk around...that kinda of thing, but set a timer so the break doesn't turn into a new thing. maybe two minutes. then set another timer when you get back for five minutes and say you'll do the task for five minutes. if after five minutes the task isn't done, maybe set a new timer or just keep going.

good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-15-17), WhiteOwl (11-15-17)
Old 11-15-17, 11:03 AM

Thanked 21,528 Times in 11,548 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Take a nap.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-17, 11:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation

My career requires technical academic work, checking translations of difficult texts in different languages. Some days I just don't feel like studying!

So on those days, I take frequent, short breaks. Like, I have simple board games like Ludo on my iPad which I can play against the computer. So I sit down to work with my iPad at my side, then like every five minutes or after every paragraph of text, I stop and take one turn, then go back to work.

Sometimes the break may be less than a minute, but it is enough for me! When I'm distracted, I find it easier to tell myself, "I only need to concentrate through this one paragraph, then I get one turn of Ludo," than to say, "Okay, work for 20 minutes, no breaks allowed for 20 minutes." 20 minutes is too discouraging when I feel distracted and restless. :-)

But I do have to be careful not to use an interesting computer game that will get me doing that instead of working. Ludo works because it is kinda interesting but not distractingly interesting. :-)
aeon (11-15-17), Arthos (11-15-17), WhiteOwl (11-15-17)
Old 11-15-17, 12:00 PM

Thanked 14,557 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Like me, reading this thread whilst doing payroll?

Well, I queue up a good song or two and redirect myself and let the focusing power of the tunes guide me back to the task at hand.

Even without meds, music has an amazing power for me in that way.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (11-15-17), WhiteOwl (11-15-17)
Old 11-15-17, 12:07 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,231 Times in 520 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

At least you get an hour or two of work in, before your mind starts to wander. Lately, I can't even get five seconds into studying, before my mind is jumping all over the place! I didn't used to be this bad. I'm still trying to figure out what to do about it. It does help that if there is something I need to do or something that's been bothering me, to try and get it taken care of before I have to study, so I don't have that issue weighing on my mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-15-17)
Old 11-15-17, 12:14 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,231 Times in 520 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
Like me, reading this thread whilst doing payroll?

Well, I queue up a good song or two and redirect myself and let the focusing power of the tunes guide me back to the task at hand.

Even without meds, music has an amazing power for me in that way.

Cheers,
Ian
I try that, but then I get absorbed in the song and before I know it I'm wasting away the night listening to music and not getting anything else done! If you see me posting a bunch of songs in the "What are you listening to?" thread, that's probably what I'm doing, while I should be studying.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-15-17)
Old 11-15-17, 12:16 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

I've read several articles about recommended apps for people with ADHD, and one that keeps showing up is an app called RescueTime. I haven't tried it, but one of its features is that, for example, if you only want to allow yourself 30 minutes per day on Facebook, it will block Facebook after half an hour.

Also, the technique of working for 25 minutes and then taking a 5 minute break where you can do whatever else you want is called the Pomodoro Technique. There are various Pomodoro apps which I think have alarms on them to keep you on track. But if I fell into hyperfocus while visiting Facebook during my break, I'm not sure that an alarm would work. I frequently turn alarms off that I've set to remind me to do something without even realizing it when I'm hyperfocused.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-17, 12:41 PM

Thanked 14,557 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOwl View Post
I try that, but then I get absorbed in the song and before I know it I'm wasting away the night listening to music and not getting anything else done! If you see me posting a bunch of songs in the "What are you listening to?" thread, that's probably what I'm doing, while I should be studying.
Ah, so I have another sister my mother never told me about.

I So Understand,
Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (11-15-17), WhiteOwl (11-15-17)