ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 12-23-10, 11:51 PM
Banned

Jester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the rough
Re: My Adderall Journal (bad experience - 33 year old female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsoplainJane View Post
Do you know why your Dr began your dosage at twice the starting rate?
I know, also why doctors prescribe oxycontin instead of Tylenol #4 for pain management lol. Because they don't want the patient to come back in pain saying the medicine is not strong enough.
Same with antibiotics. You catch a sinus infection, the doctor gives you clarithromycin LOL! The strongest thing ever! Instead of just giving you a beta-lactam. Why? So that you don't come crawling back saying the beta-lactam failed you.

Easy answer: Laziness. Perhaps we should give some Adderall to those doctors too to wake em up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jester For This Useful Post:
notsoplainJane (12-24-10)
Old 12-26-10, 07:43 AM

That1WierdGirl has a spectacular aura aboutThat1WierdGirl has a spectacular aura about

Ah no! Then we'd have the doctors all bouncing off the walls from the high and making our adderall induced depressions even worse!

And again as I said earlier I think the reason she did that was that she didn't believe I had ADHD and wanted to prove it to me. I think she fully expected me to get high off of it like a normal person would and fully expected to be able to say 'I told you so' when I reported to her at my next appointment.

But at least she's still willing to give me enough benefit of the doubt by letting me try Stratera

The trouble with modern psychiatric medicine is not that it's lazy but rather that it misunderstands Occam's razor. It's like a child saying that 2 times 4 is 6 because it's easier for them to change the multiplication sign to a plus than it is to remember the 2 or the 4 times tables. They don't care that the answer is wrong. They just care that they solve the problem by coming up with the simplest explanation. The trouble being that in order for their simple solution to be true not only would the child have had to alter the laws of mathematics.

Last time I checked even deities can't make two multiplied by four equal six.
Old 02-06-11, 12:12 PM

That1WierdGirl has a spectacular aura aboutThat1WierdGirl has a spectacular aura about

Wow! Reading back over this thread after a little over a month and I have to say I am so very glad that I kept that journal!

The pdoc started to tell me again that I didn't react to the Adderall the way someone with ADHD would. So I shrugged as if I agreed, since I decided that it was no use arguing with her, but I read through what I had written again the first chance I got and I can't see what she is talking about. I think she may be back on thinking that caffeine makes me hyper again.

So the next time I saw her I politely told her that I think I need to have myself re-evaluated and that then I would look into medications again and that I may or may not be going back to her for that. However it was really just my way of eliminating her as my PDOC.

To the two people who suggested that I get a new PDOC, thank you, I should have listened to you in the first place. I have to admit that I was never comfortable with her especially with the way she tagged me as being a bipolar maniac within five minutes of meeting me and based only on the fact that I have always talked really fast compared to other people and am quite hyper most of the time.

I'm still seeing a counselor there but I'm also trying to get help from Voc Rehab so I can go back to school. I'm hoping they will help me to get re-evaluated since I can't afford it on my own. I'm also hoping that they will send me to a different clinic for a PDOC.

Oh and I know I shouldn't but I'm seriously considering self medicating with Caffeine.
Old 02-06-11, 05:57 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

PedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of light

Caffeine doesn't really help that much. I remember reading something a while back about how it gets you pumped but it also activates the wrong receptors for ADHD and can make the symptoms worse instead of better. I have seen that in my own personal experience and as such am in the process of tapering down on any and all major caffeine sources.
Old 02-06-11, 06:21 PM
Banned

Jester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
Caffeine doesn't really help that much. I remember reading something a while back about how it gets you pumped but it also activates the wrong receptors for ADHD and can make the symptoms worse instead of better. I have seen that in my own personal experience and as such am in the process of tapering down on any and all major caffeine sources.
It's true, I noticed this myself. I never drink coffee so my only experience with caffeine was from AC&C Aspirin with caffeine and codeine preparations that I was taking for my sinus infection migraines (had 3 infections in 6 years). The 375mg aspirin, 15mg caffeine, 8mg codeine pills.

There was always 2 days where the migraines were terrible so I basically required 60mg codeine liquid extract every 5 hours so every dose had about 110mg of caffeine as well (about half a cup of coffee). I felt like my ADD symptoms were worst and my brain felt really foggy.

I always thought it was the codeine since it was a downer, until one day when I decided to purify the 60-110 extracts into 60-5 ones so I could sleep better. With the caffeine content removed I couldn't sleep at all and felt much more alert. The opioid itself had nothing to do with the foggy brain sensation, it was all the caffeine.

This was one of my greatest personal discoveries lol.
Old 02-07-11, 03:10 AM

Wow, that's weird. I always had been told that Caffeine tended to make people with adhd less hyper. Though now that I think about it it does tend to give me headaches which is one of the reasons I was avoiding it in the first place.

At least the fish oil has been helping a little. And in truth if it hadn't been for the bad side effects, and the tourettes, oh and the fact that the good side effects eventually stopped, the adderall would have been great. At least it was nice to actually get things done for once. I'm not sure if it would be safe for me to try another stimulant.

By the way the Stratera worked but it did so by limiting me to only one thought process at a time. I couldn't multitask and felt like an idiot. But I wasn't distracted.
Old 08-10-12, 09:53 PM
Jr Member

keyser is on a distinguished road

I agree with the posts earlier - I've started on 10mg of Adderall-XR (essentially 5mg twice a day of the regular stuff). It really does the trick for me.

The dose is not according to your symptoms or body weight or any of that stuff, it's how much your body needs to function normally. If you take more than the body needs you'll get side effects and only end up bumping your tolerance levels up.
Old 11-24-12, 12:55 AM

PGMEagle is on a distinguished road

I would switch drs. Cause apperently your doc has no idea what she is talking about. Just my 2 cents.