ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-09, 10:34 PM

BillCompton will become famous soon enough
Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

I have two determining factors. Do they care and can they handle it? If the answer is yes, than I probably have. If either is no, than no, I don't bother. I usually keep my personal life to myself, but it always seems to come up in conversation somehow.
Old 03-01-09, 11:00 PM

dntel will become famous soon enough

Personally, I think I will keep it to myself for a little while, until at least I have had more time to think about the implications of the diagnosis. I usually don't discuss very private things to others anyway, but this might be something worth sharing to those in my life who have been affected by my disorder -- when I am ready of course.
Old 03-06-09, 01:09 AM
Jr Member

Orcas_are_neat is on a distinguished road

I've always sort of played with the idea that I have ADD, but I just got my "official diagnosis" about two months ago. I am on meds too, and they're wonderful, but I am still wary about telling even my closest friends.

My roommate doesn't even know, though I suspect she's found out. Like I said, the meds have worked wonders (and she knows I am on mysterious prescription drugs for something "not worth mentioning").

All of my friends are really studious and smart. I've always hung out with/counted myself with those sorts of people. Finally knowing for sure that I had ADD helped me a lot emotionally (knowing that my inability to concentrate or take tests had nothing to do with intelligence), but I still feel like it's a weakness. I feel like my friends would never look at me the same way again. I think they would pity me and just think, "Oh there's our friend with ADD, she can't really do much."
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-09, 04:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

Aquablue has a spectacular aura aboutAquablue has a spectacular aura about

Great question! As a female dxed. with ADD and clinical depression in my 30s -- after marriage, children, graduate degree -- this one has stumped me for 10+ years. Initially, I shared my dx. with several family members and friends and one close colleague. As time has passed, though, I've been less willing to share my dx. and medication needs with anyone new in my life. My reluctance is due to the ambivalent reactions I've gotten from those I believed supportive.

I think many people, even some educated and compassionate, base their perceptions of a person's mental health on manifest behavior. So if a person constantly interrupts others, can't focus well enough to read a news article, and can't sit still long enough to attend a formal affair .........his/her dx. of ADD might be credible. What they fail to understand is the overwhelming psychic burden many of us with ADD carry in an effort to compensate........and the reality that medications we take don't get us high or cause us to act irresponsibly but rather lessen our struggle for "normalcy".

I'm new to this community and not sure how to indicate "thanks" for this topic with many interesting points of view........anyway, THANKS!
The Following User Says Thank You to Aquablue For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (03-06-09)
Old 03-06-09, 05:20 PM
Jr Member

shmc_21 is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

I am not ashamed of my ADHD and I am pretty sure everybody who knows me and all my coworkers and boss are aware of my disorder. I have ADHD full blown 100% since I was a child I think I tell people so that they can have a better understanding and I tend to get a positive reaction. I think that if they were not aware they would become annoyed with me or think I was a bad worker haha. I am just lucky right now I work at an early learning center, but I graudate college in July and have to get a better job. For the last two years I have not been on meds because I did not like how i felt on them. Now that I am 24 I am being told that my ADHD is out of control and I am sturggling so now i am on different meds and only on a very small doese daily to just take the edge off.

But to answer the question completely I do tell most people if I work for them or if they are becoming better friends because I beleive they need to know that fact about me to better understand me. It is definently not a fact i shout out and think all most know, but I do for the most part tell people. when you have it as bad as i do it explains a lot when people find out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmc_21 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (03-06-09), tomtom (03-06-09)
Old 03-09-09, 03:52 PM

gr8ful is on a distinguished road

*ponders the irony of this entire thread...
Old 03-10-09, 06:16 PM

poprocksandcoke is on a distinguished road

I told a lot of people when I first got diagnosed last semester. I was so relieved to have the diagnosis, and I wanted to tell people so they'd know I wasn't just weird or crazy (though I may be a bit of those too haha). I've always had a lot of friends with ADHD so I never understood why people would have a problem with it. I don't tell people as much anymore though. I guess it doesn't seem as important since the idea isn't new to me anymore, and medication has been helping me manage my symptoms enough to function somewhat normally.
Old 03-13-09, 02:04 PM

Dciv is on a distinguished road

Nope, only my wife, medical practitioners, and that lady who gave me a flu shot know. Yep, they are the only lucky people to know that I march with the Orangemen and the b-boys. A lot can be said, and it’s probably all true, but I like being ignorant about it. It feels like a naughty secret. Kind of like taking over the world, except it’s just my brain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dciv For This Useful Post:
chellechelle (03-13-09)
Old 03-13-09, 06:47 PM

Dizzy1 is on a distinguished road

For the most part, "the world doesn't need to know". I've told my immediate boss, because we have a "pal" relationship at work. I told her "as a friend". Two other co-workers know, and I told them in strict confidence and asked them to keep it that way. I feel that because ADHD is still wildly misunderstood, if others knew, then they would look at me differently. My only issue is that since the med's give me NO appetite, I no longer join them for lunch. Guess 2 weeks in, I have been truly busy and pass up the invite due to that, but also have told them that I am on a diet, and prefer snacking on veggies at my desk while I work. Other than that my immediate family knows.
Old 03-13-09, 09:34 PM

katrinas is on a distinguished road
Re: How open are you about discussing your ADD with other people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiergirl View Post
Initiallly, I was pretty gung ho about discussing it with people. Now, unless it is necessary somehow, I just don't bring it up. My mother's eyes glaze over if I mention it and I think some people just look at it as a handy excuse. The only place I can freely mention it is here in these forums. This is the only place in the world I feel I can go and be understood and not judged for my dingy-ness.
yep, same here. And it totally depends on who I can discuss it with.
Old 03-14-09, 03:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation

iam carefull even though ive not been dx full with it i know i have it!
they touched on it and said that i do! it not something iam overly open about peps think iam stagen anough as it is here! not going to give them the resons to think more! iam really only open here! and few peps who really know me! not meny though! ....people very hostaly about things they dont understand!
and as for my mum i wont go thoutght on that!

iam just glade i have the forums and others like me

as for panter they have some understandin ofve it but still very liittmieted
makes for porbelems i think

dorm
Old 03-14-09, 03:41 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,468 Times in 641 Posts
FinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to behold

I agree with wsmac......I think it's important to be "ADDvocates" for ADD. By keeping silent and not mentioning it to anyone other than those "directly affected", we are only allowing falsehoods and misconceptions to foster and perpetuate.

When wsmac was asked to "prove it", the first thing that popped into my head was HIV/Aids. Where would society be if people didn't openly discuss the topic? We would still be in the perceptual "stone age" of thinking we could catch it by breathing air, shaking hands, touching doorknobs, hugging, or through other absurd misconceptions.

Ignorance breeds hatred and discrimination. Education breeds knowledge, understanding, and acceptance. I think all anyone really wants is to at least be understood and accepted.

Peace!
Old 03-14-09, 03:48 PM
Contributor

Wintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the rough

I was more open about thinking I have ADHD before when I was further away from my evaluation. Now I'm sort of more guarded about it, except with 2-3 really close friends, and my girlfriend. Before I'd kind of blurt out my suspicions in class or work or something in casual conversation. Last time I mentioned it at work was because I mentioned I can't read at work because of distractions and one of my co-workers was like "Do you take anything for that? If you don't mind me asking..." and I said no, but i'm going to an evaluation soon. It was kind of uncomfortable for some reason.

I'm usually a really honest person, sometimes too honest, but with this I sort of feel less like telling everyone. I don't know why though, I'm not embarassed about it. I think I just don't want people to think I'm using excuses.
Old 03-14-09, 04:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

for an example, I have just moved into an appartment with two girls from a different college and I didn't say it right away but eventually I brought it up somewhere when the conversation had the opening. It's actually really nice because they understand and are supportive as well as encouraging. It's nice to know they have my back when things are going to start to get tough when semester runs around for me. I don't have to feel like i'm hiding anything.

I tell how it personallly affects me more to my best friend. It's nice to have an outside observer because we are terrible at that.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwalk For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (03-14-09)
Old 03-14-09, 04:35 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,468 Times in 641 Posts
FinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk View Post
for an example, I have just moved into an appartment with two girls from a different college and I didn't say it right away but eventually I brought it up somewhere when the conversation had the opening. It's actually really nice because they understand and are supportive as well as encouraging. It's nice to know they have my back when things are going to start to get tough when semester runs around for me. I don't have to feel like i'm hiding anything.

I tell how it personallly affects me more to my best friend. It's nice to have an outside observer because we are terrible at that.
I will say that some of our closest NT allies still need a ADDitude slap once in a while....lol. Just a few hours ago, my pre-k teacher g/f who helps identify ADHD and teaches many ADHD students actually had the nerve to say to me "you need to learn how to relax". I just looked at her and said "Helloooooooooooooooooo????? Hi Honey........Remember me???".

She just sheepishly nodded her head and said "Oooops."