ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-17, 12:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,894 Times in 7,981 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria

I found another couple of articles.

This one by Dr. Charles Parker

http://www.corepsych.com/2013/06/dod...oria-and-adhd/

and this one by Larry Letich in Additude magazine. Wierd that I've always kind of avoided that site. Anyway, the comments after this article are reminiscent of my feelings upon this discovery. I am definitely going to pursue this much further.

http://connect.additudemag.com/group..._do_you_think/
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
daveddd (01-11-17)
Old 01-11-17, 12:24 AM

Thanked 10,494 Times in 5,179 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
Do other experts of ADHD believe in RSD and support Dr. Dodson? I can't find any other info on it that's not attributed to him.

Does anyone know Dr. Barkley's take on RSD?
https://books.google.com/books?id=4B...tivity&f=false

i think he would believe it

maybe he doesnt call it by the same name, but in 'what the science says' he has interpersonal sensitivity as the second biggest issue in ADHD

i'm assuming there is a correlation between that and the named disorder
ginniebean (01-11-17)
Old 01-11-17, 12:29 AM

ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
https://books.google.com/books?id=4B...tivity&f=false

i think he would believe it

maybe he doesnt call it by the same name, but in 'what the science says' he has interpersonal sensitivity as the second biggest issue in ADHD

i'm assuming there is a correlation between that and the named disorder
Thanks for chiming in, where have you been?? OMG I thought you were gone.

Glad to see you're not.

BTW, I do think Barkley would also agree, perhaps not that it is another condition but that it is a piece of adhd, a big piece. I know I feel like I've got a name to point to and perhaps even some hope. This really holds me back.
daveddd (01-11-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-17, 12:30 AM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
Thanks for chiming in, where have you been?? OMG I thought you were gone.

Glad to see you're not.
about as here as i can be, thanks for askin

you good?
ginniebean (01-11-17)
Old 01-11-17, 12:35 AM

Yeah really good actually thanks for asking.
daveddd (01-11-17)
Old 01-11-17, 12:56 AM
The Von Kaiser of Moderators

Johnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of light

The thought process is narcissistic though, by the self-centered use of the word. Note that I did not say he's called me "a narcissist".
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Slick For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-11-17)
Old 01-11-17, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
The thought process is narcissistic though, by the self-centered use of the word. Note that I did not say he's called me "a narcissist".
in an incredibly generic , unrelated to any basis in psychology way, possibly

and honestly completely unhelpful

but an intense monitoring of your thoughts , inner world, actions,etc hyper vigilance to surroundings is a very well documented group of characteristics in people with issues regulating their emotions (shame comes to mind here)

i dont understand the point of grouping that in with haughty , glib, grandiose behavior ... as a psychotherapist its likely projection, theyre known for that
ginniebean (01-11-17)
Old 01-11-17, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
He's using the term not as an adjunct to NPD, which I agree would be horrible, but as a way of noting that I've been very inwardly directed. That in the end is the the crux of what we're calling RSD: we get bogged down in our own perceptions of things so much that it's hard for us to see objective reality, especially when (without a diagnosis) objective reality sure does suggest that we're giant flaming sacks of crap.

In the end, just because you think you hate yourself doesn't necessarily mean you're not behaving narcissistically, at least from the common English language usage and not the clinical meaning.

As for further reading, I will once again plug "You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Crazy, or Stupid?". Chapter 3 talks about coping mechanism the undiagnosed use and how it affects us.
I think it's really important to be careful with notions of interchangeability ADHD is already so stigmatized, to begin to say that well over 90% of us display narcissistic traits, is deeply horrifying in this sense. Which is why I'd probably give this therapist a piece of my mind but also walk on out.

I work every day with people who have multiple diagnosis. These are people coming out of jails into care. I like my job, it's challenging and mentally stimulating for me. Being around people who are mentally ill, and many severely so, makes me really cautious about mis-attribution which I think this would be classified as. I can understand how APD could be attributed but there's just too many of us. I'm skeptical.
Old 01-11-17, 05:56 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,946 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

No attribution happened at all - neither mis-attribution nor accurate attribution. The word "narcissistic" describing a thought doesn't at all relate to an NPD diagnosis.

But I see how the whole thing can be misconstrued and can accidentally sound horrible. It's an innocent clash of terminology, but probably should have been re-worded to prevent confusion.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-11-17)
Old 01-11-17, 11:04 AM

Thanked 4,214 Times in 2,398 Posts
eclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I suppose it would depend. Does the person afflicted with rejection sensitive dysphoria typically display reactions to criticism that are similar to narcissistic injury?
Old 01-11-17, 11:42 AM

thorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to all

Oh my...

I had no idea this was a thing. Of course I can relate as a fear of rejection was such a huge part of my youth.

I will need to read up on this. Might be worth it for my sons.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thorfinnur For This Useful Post:
eclectic beagle (01-11-17), ginniebean (01-11-17)
Old 01-11-17, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectic beagle View Post
Well, I suppose it would depend. Does the person afflicted with rejection sensitive dysphoria typically display reactions to criticism that are similar to narcissistic injury?
Hmmmm, I don't think so, perhaps the pain is similar but the reaction to it bears the difference. i have witnessed narscisstic injury and yes I'd say it's very painful for the person but the cold manovering for revenge that I have seen over what seem minor slights is not something I see in adhd.

I think like physical pain, it just hurts.

What I notice about this adhd associated pain is how it holds me back. i won't apply for a job in the office. i know I could do the job, I know *'d even excell at the job but being around so many coworkers each day I cannot bear it. It would be too painful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (01-11-17), eclectic beagle (01-11-17)
Old 04-29-17, 07:50 PM
Banned

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

I think Prozac is proving to be a remarkable compound for easing the symptoms of a variety of disorders besides depression. Depending on the dosage, it can be quite effective.
Old 05-02-17, 05:16 PM

coolbanana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letching Gray View Post
I think Prozac is proving to be a remarkable compound for easing the symptoms of a variety of disorders besides depression. Depending on the dosage, it can be quite effective.
prozac allowed me to bear my problems easier but doesnt raise my mood. It also makes me drowsy. I was misdiagnosed for a long time and the prozac they gave me almost zombified me. It was very strange.
Ritalin on the other hand lifted me out of a long term situational depression and gave me finally hope.