ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 01-12-17, 12:13 AM
Jr Member

tomgrouncontrol is on a distinguished road
Now I'm having weird heart "feelings" sort of like heaviness, is this from Ritalin?

Probably 3 possibilities I can draw this from: because this has never happened during my first days taking it and it's only 15mg.

1. I'm taking Phenibut in the morning to combat my anxiety for my singing auditions, helped tremendously and is better than coffee (most of the time). Ritalin midday, then clonidine at night (not really sure if this is responsible, coming off of clonidine in replace of Ritalin but found it to be helpful during these stressful weeks).

2. My recent diet, I've only been eating fast food and I haven't been exercising, also I did not really eat well before taking 15mg Ritalin, sitting down, I felt like my heart is aching. Usually, I would feel like my heart is racing and my attention is spread.

3. Too much caffeine intake and/or lack of sleep? I took coffee this morning and taking clonidine with a semi-empty stomach might contribute to it.

Looking to share and learn from similar experiences, has this happened to you? What do you think is a reason for this?
Old 01-12-17, 03:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,894 Times in 7,981 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Now I'm having weird heart "feelings" sort of like heaviness, is this from Ritali

Coffee and adhd meds do not go well together, try getting good sleep, eating well and getting a bit of excercise.
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Jenn1202 (01-14-17)
Old 01-12-17, 05:53 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,703 Times in 12,973 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Now I'm having weird heart "feelings" sort of like heaviness, is this from Ritali

Is the clonidine prescribed to be taken in place of the ritalin?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-17, 07:31 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Jenn1202 will become famous soon enough

Some people are sensitive to stimulants. Stimulant can potentially cause heart related symptoms or make existing heart issues worse (read the medication information sheet). You may want to consult with your pdoc and get your heart checked out by a cardiologist just to make sure that your symptoms aren't caused by some underlying heart condition and that you're safe to take the medication. I don't mean to scare you, but heart related symptoms on Ritalin should be taken seriously because things have happened in the past (but such incidents are extremely rare).

Personally, I can't tolerate Ritalin because it makes my heart palpitations (ectopics and tachycardia) worse. I was on Ritalin for years before my heart issues started and had zero side effects until one day I started getting horrible symptoms on Ritalin. I went to see a cardiologist and was medically cleared to take ADD stimulants, but I felt so ill when I was on it that my pdoc and I decided to try other medications instead. I recently decided to take a long break from ADD meds and change careers because my symptoms were so uncomfortable.

Ritalin doesn't work for everyone. Often people with healthy hearts get heart-related side effects from one medication and do much better on another. Personally, I had less palpitations and felt better on Dexedrine/Zenzedi.

Also, you seem to take lots of different medications that can potentially interact. Your symptoms could potentially be caused by medication interactions. One way to check this is to call your pharmacy and ask the pharmacist if your medications interact. Unfortunately, some interactions are not documented so even if your pharmacist tells you that your medications don't interact there's still a chance that they do.
Rx: 2007-2012: Ritalin LA 30, Ritalin IR 10 X 2; 2013: Daytrana 10; Jan-Jul 2014: Ritalin IR 10mg; Aug 2014: Adderall IR 5mg; Sep 2014: Dex IR 5mg (Barr/Mal); Nov 2015: Zenzedi 5mg; 2016: off meds; Current : Zenzedi 5mg
Dx: 2004: ADHD, 2012: Hyperthyroidism, medication-induced rapid heartbeat/palpitations; 2013: Hashimoto's, PVCs/PACs; 2014: Innocent heart murmur, 2016: Roemheld syndrome and the list goes on and on..
Old 01-14-17, 07:34 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,074 Times in 2,501 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

I would avoid the caffeine. Caffeine removes moisture from the body leading to dehydration. Combined with other stimulants, this can lead to heart issues.

Instead of having coffee, reach for a glass of water instead (6-8 per day). That should help with the heart issues.
Old 01-29-17, 05:04 AM

Mrs. Agnello is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrouncontrol View Post
Probably 3 possibilities I can draw this from: because this has never happened during my first days taking it and it's only 15mg.

1. I'm taking Phenibut in the morning to combat my anxiety for my singing auditions, helped tremendously and is better than coffee (most of the time). Ritalin midday, then clonidine at night (not really sure if this is responsible, coming off of clonidine in replace of Ritalin but found it to be helpful during these stressful weeks).

2. My recent diet, I've only been eating fast food and I haven't been exercising, also I did not really eat well before taking 15mg Ritalin, sitting down, I felt like my heart is aching. Usually, I would feel like my heart is racing and my attention is spread.

3. Too much caffeine intake and/or lack of sleep? I took coffee this morning and taking clonidine with a semi-empty stomach might contribute to it.

Looking to share and learn from similar experiences, has this happened to you? What do you think is a reason for this?
Adderall is not for anxiety or Ritalin Adderall all of that the opposite of anxiety that's why you have to take clonidine which I guess different places I'm not sure where you're from but everyone on needs for him seems to be out of the country ADHD is what they prescribed ritalin and adderall for and that someone who is bouncing off the walls so if you would have snort cocaine you would be one-and-twenty people that instead of getting up and running around the room if you did it you would sit down on the couch and relax that what Adderall and Ritalin is its speed Clonidine is the first I've heard of that being used to heaviness is because it's a blood pressure medication if it continues my best advice you can get a home blood pressure machine for under 40 bucks and take your blood pressure because if your blood pressure is low then passing out is not what you want to do

2 hours of being on two sites I have learned shocking things I live in New York City which is a live in Harlem you can't walk 10 feet without finding someone falling down on the sidewalk and people are talking about milligrams that I couldn't even fathom but maybe it's just sit different on math system it only just occurred to me as I said it out loud but definitely definitely if you were in school and you feel the heaviness go to the nurse and I seem to take your blood pressure explain how you feel but don't mention your medications and my nephew is the worst case of ADHD I ever saw getting in through school was the hardest thing for my sister and she did it all without meds and he managed to push it together and finds his place and now he's in the semi-professional UFC fighting because he literally cannot stop moving so in love

I don't know look up the definition of ADHD if you can read a book and take a test without Ritalin if you had good grades before you started those medications then ADHD is probably not for you and clonidine is terrible for a school age young adult I would definitely at least switch to klonopin for Xanax at least you won't wake up on the floor from passing out

Last edited by midnightstar; 01-29-17 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: paragraph breaks only, no other edits
Old 01-29-17, 10:40 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,703 Times in 12,973 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Agnello View Post
Adderall is not for anxiety or Ritalin Adderall all of that the opposite of anxiety that's why you have to take clonidine
Adhd causes a ton of anxiety and while stimulants like adderall or ritalin are not used as anxiety meds, people with adhd induced anxiety often find relief when they are on stimulants.

Quote:
that what Adderall and Ritalin is its speed
No offense but I cant stand when people call stimulants speed and have this notion that its like cocaine and that someone with adhd would be able to snort cocaine and not be high or bouncing off the wall just because you have adhd. Thats what I call misinformation. And many people take clonidine for adhd and its approved for children to do so:

http://www.healthline.com/health/adh...dine#Overview1
Yes its for blood pressure but its also approved for adhd and sleep sometimes in children.

Quote:
2 hours of being on two sites I have learned shocking things I live in New York City which is a live in Harlem you can't walk 10 feet without finding someone falling down on the sidewalk and people are talking about milligrams that I couldn't even fathom but maybe it's just sit different on math system it only just occurred to me as I said it out loud but definitely definitely if you were in school and you feel the heaviness go to the nurse and I seem to take your blood pressure explain how you feel but don't mention your medications and my nephew is the worst case of ADHD I ever saw getting in through school was the hardest thing for my sister and she did it all without meds and he managed to push it together and finds his place and now he's in the semi-professional UFC fighting because he literally cannot stop moving so in love
ALWAYS tell medical professionals about what meds you are on when it comes to your healthcare.

Quote:
I don't know look up the definition of ADHD if you can read a book and take a test without Ritalin if you had good grades before you started those medications then ADHD is probably not for you and clonidine is terrible for a school age young adult I would definitely at least switch to klonopin for Xanax at least you won't wake up on the floor from passing out
Also misinformation.
You can have good grades with untreated adhd, bad grades are not a pre-requisite. Many people have certain coping skills that allow them to do well in school due to IQ or other factors but the rest of their life is in shambles,

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
dopaminerush (04-14-17)
Old 02-03-17, 02:54 PM

passingthought is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Agnello View Post
Aside from all the misinformation already covered, why on earth would you suggest benzo's as a good alternative to stimulants for anxiety?

Benzos should not be anywhere near the first, second or even third line suggestion for (long term) anxiety. NICE guidelines say that more than 2-4 weeks caries risk of tolerance and dependency and that they interfere with results from talking therapy. (Where I live, they wean you off them to participate in therapy.) Their side effect profile is also higher than that of most other anxiety meds.

I know that some people *do* benefit from them, but I can't get my head around the idea of arguing that klonopin 'is terrible for a school age young adult' and then suggesting Xanax or klonopin.
Old 04-06-17, 07:41 PM
Jr Member

dolophine is on a distinguished road

I'd consider lowering the dose of Phenibut a little and seeing if that feeling goes away. I used to take Phenibut before I got a script for Baclofen, and they both are related to each other and cause a strong heaviness which oftens "pokes-out" when the stimulant effects of Ritalin or Amphetamine start to subside.