ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-17, 08:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,917 Times in 2,441 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Times when ADHD didn't effect you?

I thought it would be interesting to see how many of you have experienced situations (pre-diagnosis or non medicated) where you felt that your symptoms never really affected you too much.

I must admit, I go through periods where I convince myself that I don't have ADHD. I do this by considering situations where i've actually managed to somehow cope, despite the difficulties.

College for example. I'm managed to get through the first semmester (almost), i've completed and passed every assessment with the exception of one, which i'm absolutely dreading, as it actually requires a lot of reading and research and is closed book, meaning I need to process a lot of information and memorize a lot of things (it feels like a lot anyway), which i'm hopeless at.

But anyway, there are times when I look back over situations and think to myself "if I had ADHD, I wouldn't have managed to do this, or do that".

Is it normal to feel that way sometimes? Or does ADHD affect you non stop, all of the time, in every situation?

I have an appointment next week to request an assessment, but don't want to second guess myself at the last moment as I have done before.
Old 01-11-17, 08:44 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,178 Times in 649 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future
Re: Times when ADHD didn't effect you?

I recall being in college for Bachelor's in Education and the non-math and non-science general education classes as well as the core Education classes being interesting and not having trouble at all.

Years later, I had a job teaching Adults in a Workforce Development Program and did well.

Life was very good during those times. What I wouldn't give to have even a fraction of that back!!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (01-11-17)
Old 01-11-17, 09:35 PM

Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyfound10 View Post
I recall being in college for Bachelor's in Education and the non-math and non-science general education classes as well as the core Education classes being interesting and not having trouble at all.

Years later, I had a job teaching Adults in a Workforce Development Program and did well.

Life was very good during those times. What I wouldn't give to have even a fraction of that back!!
I'm going off topic completely here, but notice you take both Strattera and Welbutrin. Is that safe? I read somewhere that the 2 should never be taken together.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-17, 02:01 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,196 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Undiagnosed ADHD didn't seem to effect me negatively (I assume u mean) until around puberty. This coincided with added responsibility and pressure in life. Before that, life was all fun and excitement and ADHD probably greatly contributed that.

It just left me greatly unprepared for my life to follow. I had to learn everything else the hard way usually several times after that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (01-17-17), Fraser_0762 (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 03:59 AM

Thanked 21,762 Times in 7,925 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
I thought it would be interesting to see how many of you have experienced situations (pre-diagnosis or non medicated) where you felt that your symptoms never really affected you too much.

I must admit, I go through periods where I convince myself that I don't have ADHD. I do this by considering situations where i've actually managed to somehow cope, despite the difficulties.

College for example. I'm managed to get through the first semmester (almost), i've completed and passed every assessment with the exception of one, which i'm absolutely dreading, as it actually requires a lot of reading and research and is closed book, meaning I need to process a lot of information and memorize a lot of things (it feels like a lot anyway), which i'm hopeless at.
Cue cards, yes it's a pain in the ***, but for memorizing essential. I used to have hundreds they work like a charm.

Quote:
But anyway, there are times when I look back over situations and think to myself "if I had ADHD, I wouldn't have managed to do this, or do that".

Is it normal to feel that way sometimes? Or does ADHD affect you non stop, all of the time, in every situation?

I have an appointment next week to request an assessment, but don't want to second guess myself at the last moment as I have done before.
I think it's very easy to think adhd isn't affecting us, mostly because all of the symptoms happen to everyone but to us much much more often.
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 05:50 AM

Thanked 26,314 Times in 11,702 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think 'reverse' self doubt is common or at least possible. there are times when the whole theory on multi-tasking seems to be a breeze with me-even though I feel like I am pulled in a million different directions-yet somehow it seems like I am doing it with ease.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 06:02 AM

I'm not really a multi tasker. Even attempting one task that doesn't interest me is severely overwhelming. I can sometimes force my way through a task I don't find stimulating, but I feel completely maxed out afterwards like my batteries are completely flat. I can obsess over something I do find interesting though and it can swallow up half of my day without me even realizing it.

Sometimes I know what I should be doing right now, but never seem to get there. It's like there's a veil between me and the tasks I need to complete. By the end of the day I realize there's so many things that I should have been doing that I just never got started on.

Most regular jobs these days require the ability to multi task. Employers want people who are efficient at prioritizing what needs to be done in the moment. I avoid these jobs completely, I would be all over the place trying to figure out what I needed to do "right now" and very few things would actually get done.
Old 01-17-17, 11:54 AM
Committee Member

Bethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant future

ADHD probably always affected me, but I guess I had remarkable denial abilities.

Throughout childhood, I thought it was "cool" to have, perhaps because of the way it was presented to me. As a teenager, I flat out thought it had no affect on me, and if it did, it was only "good." Like I said: denial. In retrospect, ironically, it had the most affect on me when I thought it had the least. (But maybe that's not "ironic" after all; that's kinda exactly how denial works.)

It wasn't until my late 20s that I began to realize the negative impact it's had on my life, notably driving an automobile, in employment, and even social situations. I became a little bit resentful and bitter for a little while.

At this point, I'm pretty "neutral" about the whole thing. I certainly don't like the downsides of ADHD, and I'm not quite sure if there are any positives. (Maybe, maybe not. But it's not relevant to me anymore. I still have good qualities.) Oddly, now that I regard it neutrally, it's made it easier to deal with not only ADHD, but with life in general.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bethylphenidate For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (01-17-17)
Old 01-17-17, 11:57 AM

Nice to see you back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Bethylphenidate (01-17-17)
Old 01-17-17, 01:32 PM

33Forward will become famous soon enough

Considering I only recently joined the "club", I'd say all the time before I was diagnosed. It can't affect you, if you don't realize you are affected by it, right?
Up until being diagnosed, things I did well, or places or times that I felt I was successful, I attributed to either hard work, or being gifted or just naturally good at something. If I failed at something, I only had myself to blame for it. If I excelled, I had myself to praise. I had no concept of ADHD, and how it impacted my life, either in a positive or negative way.

Of course, now that I know about it, I can look back and see the impacts of ADHD and how it affected the directions my life took. In that sense, there was never a time when it didn't affect me.
"Right now...time is having its way with you."
"Squirrel!"
Old 01-17-17, 03:35 PM
Th ftr Mr. BllVt

Thanked 16,936 Times in 8,443 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

There have been times when I sort of felt like I overcame the effects of ADHD and succeeded at things I might otherwise have not been able to do.

But I can easily see the effects of ADHD in my life, stretching at least as far back as age 7. I've never had a break from it. It's just that from time to time I can temporarily sneak my way around the symptoms and do great work.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 01-17-17, 05:16 PM

Thanked 8,301 Times in 3,296 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

the short answer ? .......nope .....early school life, I heard "she's not working up to her full potential" every year all the way through high school .....(I test very high.....but the grind of getting good grades ....erm not so much ....)

self-medicated starting in freshman year in college, and oh my goodness ! ...grades went up ....focused in art classes, and actually accomplished things .....

self medicated for decades, couldn't figure out how normal people did it .....still can't figure it out .....have been legally and under the care of p docs for a couple of decades now .....and I've had the ups and downs of oh say, an extreme roller coaster....but lots of that was out of my control.....and life situations freaked me out so much that I made some very bad decisions ....

....but with people who believe in me, and that I had it in me to live up to my potential, medicated....and several years hard work.....I am actually getting somewhere .....

Only took me until I was 65 ....heh....

for many years starting early in grade school......I accepted that I was different ....but I thought it was cool ...I'm an artist, and artists are different ....I took pride in that ....I liked being different .....I didn't have the focus I needed, mind you....until college...then it was the self medication ....

but at the end of the day ....trying to make it as an artist with fairly severe ADHD .....is a tough road to go down ......interesting ? ...yup ....but easy ? or clear ? or normal ....nope nope nope .....

[FONT="Book Antiqua"....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....