ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 01-11-17, 05:02 PM

Soerj86 is on a distinguished road
Ritalin having no effect at all?

Hi there

As an adult I decided to talk to a psychiatrist about the possibility of having ADHD.

Long story short he very much agreed with my suspicion and I've been taking Ritalin Uno (5-6 hours duration) over the last 2 months.

I started out at 20mg in the morning which did nothing.
A week later 20mg in the morning and 20mg at lunch. Still nothing.
Two weeks later 40mg in the morning and 20mg at lunch. Same result.
For the last few weeks I've been taking 40mg in the morning and 40mg at lunch, and I still feel no effect what so ever, with the exception of slightly less appetite.

My psychiatrist is telling me that he have no doubt about the diagnose, but that Ritalin simply dont seem to have any effect on me.
Right now I'm about to go 2 weeks without any meds, and then try a different type of medicine. I dont remember the name, but my psychiatrist says that it's generally considered less potent, but that it might still have an effect on me.

I'm not writing because I doubt his expertise, but I'm curious if anyone else has tried something similar, and in that case how did it end?

English is not my first language, so I apologize in advance for any strange spelling-errors or grammatical use.

Thank you for reading
Old 01-11-17, 08:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,041 Times in 2,490 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ritalin having no effect at all?

Sometimes it happens. A certain medication just doesn't have the intended effect that the person is looking for.

Luckily there are quite a wide range of medications available for ADHD. People who don't respond well to the Methylphenidate class (Ritalin, Concerta....etc) tend to have far better results with the Amphetamine class (Adderall, Dexedrine...etc). There are also other medications such as Stattera and Wellbutrin.

Sometimes you need to experiment to find the one that is right for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Johnny Slick (01-15-17)
Old 01-12-17, 06:15 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 27,756 Times in 12,449 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

What would be considered less potent?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-17, 07:21 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,137 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

I've had Concerta and Ritalin but it wasn't the potency that was the problem it was that they both didn't measure up in regard to symptoms.

Just my experience.
Old 01-15-17, 05:33 AM

Soerj86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
What would be considered less potent?
I dont remember what it's called..

My doctor just told me that patients typically start with Ritalin, because it usually is the most effective and "potent" treatment.
Old 01-15-17, 08:21 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 27,756 Times in 12,449 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soerj86 View Post
I dont remember what it's called..

My doctor just told me that patients typically start with Ritalin, because it usually is the most effective and "potent" treatment.
Thats odd. Since Adderall is in high demand due to abuse and carries such a stigma, one would think it would be considered the most potent. To each his own though.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.