ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 01-11-17, 07:39 PM

Susie Q is on a distinguished road
Taking the ADHD tests

I completed several tests for ADD. I took these tests in a totally quiet environment. The tests came out that I don't have ADD. Yet the questionare from me and a co-worker said I did have it. I went back to work and told them the results. They all said NO WAY!!! Do you take these tests in total ? And how can I pass these test? I've taken a bunch of these tests online and all said yes I have it. Friends say I have it for sure. My regular doctor thought I did and ordered these tests. Has anyone heard of this happening?
Old 01-11-17, 07:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,154 Times in 12,173 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Taking the ADHD tests

What kind of tests? Most tests aren't reliable for diagnosing adhd. Adhd is usually diagnosed through a detailed interview aBout your symptoms and how they impair you.
Old 01-11-17, 07:54 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 17,008 Times in 8,202 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

A doctor who bases an ADHD diagnosis solely on tests is not following standard practices.

An ADHD diagnosis should be based primarily on the difficulties you are experiencing in daily life, your history of ADHD symptoms, your personal and family medical history, and checklists/reports from you and people who know you well.

There are currently no tests on the market that can definitively rule in or rule out ADHD.

I would suggest seeking a second opinion from a psychiatrist who is familiar with ADHD in adults. Is it possible that there is some other reason for your difficulties, and that you don't have ADHD. Still, the fact that a doctor would rule out the diagnosis based primarily on the results of a (computer?) test is a big red flag.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-17, 07:56 PM

I took a CASS test, test where I had to figure out the next thing in a pattern, listen to tones and click when I heard a certain one, I was asked questions with three attributes and I had to say what it was, a test where letters showed on a screen and I was not to click on X stuff like this.
Old 01-11-17, 08:00 PM

He did interview me and asked me family history. But he gave me all these computer and verbal tests. I'm just so frustrated. He gave me no reason why I don't have ADD but have the symptoms.
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Q For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-11-17)
Old 01-11-17, 08:12 PM

Thanked 5,029 Times in 2,488 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Q View Post
He did interview me and asked me family history. But he gave me all these computer and verbal tests. I'm just so frustrated. He gave me no reason why I don't have ADD but have the symptoms.
If he's telling you that you have the symptoms, but you don't have the disorder, then I would seriously suggest that you get a second opinion from elsewhere.

It's like telling somebody that they have the symptoms of chronic low mood, but are somehow not suffering from depression. It doesn't make sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-11-17)
Old 01-11-17, 08:19 PM

Thank you for your advise. I am going to my regular doctor Friday and I will discuss this with him. I asked this ADD doc to call me. If you can think of questions I should ask him, please post them. I do plan to ask him what is his explanation for my symptoms.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susie Q For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-12-17), namazu (01-11-17)
Old 01-11-17, 09:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

Swissy is a jewel in the roughSwissy is a jewel in the roughSwissy is a jewel in the rough

I sought the help of a neurologist. He asked me questions and I told him about the difficulties I was facing. He then said, "I will help you." And omg, he helped me more than I thought possible. No written tests to discount my feelings and experiences. If you feel like you need help and feel that this doctor ignored that, seek a second opinion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swissy For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (01-12-17), ginniebean (01-12-17), namazu (01-11-17)
Old 01-12-17, 06:10 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 27,162 Times in 12,127 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

There are no tests for adhd.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-12-17), Fraser_0762 (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 06:15 AM

Thanked 5,029 Times in 2,488 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
There are no tests for adhd.
There are some tests out there, but they are rarely ever used as they cost too much money.

Usually the "test" you get is a piece of paper with questions on it asking you to score things out from 1 to 5.

If you're anything like me, you're horrible at self assessing yourself.
Old 01-12-17, 06:17 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 27,162 Times in 12,127 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
There are some tests out there, but they are rarely ever used as they cost too much money.

Usually the "test" you get is a piece of paper with questions on it asking you to score things out from 1 to 5.

If you're anything like me, you're horrible at self assessing yourself.
Yes! I am a notoriously bad self evaluator.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 09:49 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Little Nut is a splendid one to beholdLittle Nut is a splendid one to beholdLittle Nut is a splendid one to beholdLittle Nut is a splendid one to beholdLittle Nut is a splendid one to beholdLittle Nut is a splendid one to beholdLittle Nut is a splendid one to behold

Hey Susie, I am assuming your concern is with a bunch of "symptoms" that are still going unaddressed. You can seek out another Doc or work with the current one. You, knowing your current situation/limitations would decide here. Either way you go, I would focus on symptoms w/ the Doc. The approach would be something along the lines of; thank you for the testing and it is good to know. Hand the Doc a list of your symptoms and specific examples for each of how they negatively impact your life. Then tell the Doc you would like to review each symptom and how best to treat them. Be prepared to push-back where you do not agree with the Doc's proposals and suggest options that make sense to you. Hope this helps, -LN

Last edited by namazu; 01-12-17 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Expanded txt-speak abbreviations for clarity.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (01-13-17), Swissy (01-12-17)
Old 01-18-17, 01:30 PM

SpazzyJanet is on a distinguished road

So... I have spent the last two weeks with various appointments for myself (I sought my own evaluation after learning so much after my son's diagnosis).

I participated in an intake interview discussing family history, my own childhood, etc. I brought in a report card from first grade that supports early onset of symptoms.

After the intake interview, the psychologist said that he would mark my paperwork with a preliminary diagnosis for insurance purposes since my symptoms were consistent.

I then filled out the adult Connor's questionnaire and came in for two sessions to take the Weschler Adult Intelligence Scale and the Connors CPT.

I was pretty sure that I "aced" the CPT. My ratings scale, I'm pretty sure significantly supported ADD.

I feel like I did very well on the digit span test for working memory, but not nearly as well on the arithmetic memory portion, which required keeping track of more than just figures (rote memorization).

I go in to get my outbrief on Friday after a weeks' wait. The wait has been killing me. He did disclose that I had some attention issues on the CPT, which completely surprised me. I must have drifted and not even known it. I don't think that I had any commission errors, though he didn't specifically bring that up.

The wait is killing me. Over the last few months waiting to get in for the eval, I have already gone through the stages of grief- feeling broken, etc. and am now fully at the stage of acceptance. I am ready to get treated and to find a way to make things better. My big fear? I will go in and he will say I DON'T have it. Then what? I can assure that I was not dishonest on my questionnaire. I really feel like I have this. And if the answer comes back that I am fine... just lazy and dumb... it may at this point crush me.