ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 01-12-17, 12:18 AM

chaotic_cortex is on a distinguished road
Anyone find resistance when asking for dexedrine?

I'm on 30mg Vyvanse after 3 months of 20mg. My doc is moving really really slow with titration and I'm getting quite frustrated. I know within the first few days if a dose isn't high enough or working, but have to use the med for a month at an ineffective dose. I cannot afford Vyvanse anymore. Even with insurance the $70 a month is too much. I'm going broke trying to pay for my add meds. I told my doc this so she had me try Adderall xr. NO! I haven't had a full blown panic attack in years. I did that day! I'm now in-between a rock and a hard place. I want to ask for dexedrine spansules, but am psyching myself out about asking from all the stuff I've read on these forums about dexedrine having a bad rap and a lot of docs being resistant to prescribe it. To be honest I've never even heard of it until after my diagnosis and looking at meda. before that I've only heard of Adderall and Ritalin. why do doctors hate dexedrine? Have any of you had a "no" when straight out asking for it? I'm just thinking if I get a no I am done. I can't afford Vyvanse and I'm never touching an Adderall again. If not dexedrine, I think I'll just go back to how I was before. Living life with my stupid brain. Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations.
Old 01-12-17, 06:03 AM

Thanked 26,603 Times in 11,850 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone find resistance when asking for dexedrine?

If anything, its adderall that has the bad rap, because its the drug of choice that people illegally use as a performance enhancer.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-12-17, 06:12 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,476 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Adderall is actually a bit more potent than Dexedrine. People tend to describe Dexedrine as a smoother ride and less harsh than Adderall.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-17, 09:59 AM

Thanked 9,960 Times in 4,435 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Adderall is actually a bit more potent than Dexedrine. People tend to describe Dexedrine as a smoother ride and less harsh than Adderall.
In terms of side effects, yes. But in terms of CNS stimulation, Dexedrine has nearly 50% more dextroamphetamine base per dose than Adderall, and is thus a more potent medication than Adderall.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 10:27 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Little Nut is a splendid one to beholdLittle Nut is a splendid one to beholdLittle Nut is a splendid one to beholdLittle Nut is a splendid one to beholdLittle Nut is a splendid one to beholdLittle Nut is a splendid one to beholdLittle Nut is a splendid one to behold

Hey CC, The goal here is to;
  • Find the lowest dose & regimen that works for you.
  • Treat all of your symptoms.
  • No unacceptable side effects.
The process is slow, because it takes your body time to adjust to the meds. You may get real good treatment the first few days, but slowly worsen over the next week or 2. You may have a side effect for a day or two that goes away over a month or so. (Depending on issue it is 2-4 weeks for me). So whenever I made changes I stuck with it for 2 weeks before I evaluated how well it worked. Of course if something I or Doc deemed unacceptable popped up, I would discontinue and contact my Doc. To evaluate a promising drug may take several months. Others maybe a week or 2 to discard. During this time I always discussed w/ my Doc beforehand on what to do if I saw improvement, but still not adequate after 2 weeks. Bump dose, call-in to discuss, come in for face-to-face?

I can't speak to panic attacks and whether you need to start out at a lower dose and see if it is an issue after your body gets used to taking the Adderall Daily or just discontinue. You and your doc's call. As to dexedrine, you can thick of it as the same active ingredient as Vyvanse. You body slowly breaks down the Vyvanse to Dextroamphetamine. So you can expect the effectiveness and side effect issues to be very similar, but you don't know until you try it. The one thing you can probably count on is that the Dexedrine will require multiple doses, so it will be more difficult for YOU to manage.

My GUESS why some Docs are reluctant to prescribe dexedrine and OK w/ Adderall is that they have little to no experience prescribing it for ADHD or concern for abuse. FWIW if I was pill shopping amphetamine, I would walk-in say I have ADHD, and ask for Dexedrine IR or Desoxyn. HTH, -LN
Old 01-19-17, 02:45 AM
Jr Member

Riversong is on a distinguished road

Hello,
When I first suggested Dexedrine to my psych she hesitated and had to think about it. She even said, "I don't usually prescribe that to people." I have taken it since 2012 and didn't know it had a bad rap until I came on this forum.
Old 01-19-17, 01:31 PM

Thanked 8,314 Times in 3,303 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't help but notice that you said it was adderall xr that you hated .....many people around here feel the same way ....

I took dex for years, cause it was the cheapest ADD med I could afford ....and it worked fine ....then came the "Great Adderall Shortage" of 5 or 6 years ago ......when no one could get adderall of any kind, the pdocs started scripting the dex,....and it ran out too .....

......it was months before you could get dex again, and when you finally could .....it was at astronomical prices ....what used to cost me $100 was now more than $600....and I don't have insurance....so my meds are out of pocket ....

.....However toward the end of of the shortage, and adderall was again available, I took that .....didn't like it at all at first, but over about a month, I was OK with it, and after all these years, it works just fine for me ......however ...I take adderall IR .... tablet....

....Have you every tried the Immediate release Adderall tablets? ....

...Also, go to Good Rx.....and you can print out a coupon for the cheapest prices of whatever med you want, in the quantity you get, at the strength you want ....it tells you what pharmacies in your own area charge for your specific need .....I have saved literally hundreds of $$ over the last several years ....I always pay way less than 1/2 of the retail price....and i pay about 1/4 of the price for my BP meds ....( stims do not cause my BP to rise, it is high to begin with, the BP meds i take control it perfectly even when I take my ADHD meds ....)

Hope this helps

[FONT="Book Antiqua"....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
Old 01-22-17, 05:59 PM
Contributor

Sickle is a jewel in the roughSickle is a jewel in the roughSickle is a jewel in the rough

My file has dexedrine with me prescribed early. When Strattera made me manic, I went to Concerta then Adderall to Focalin and then they put me on what worked. I had to do that twice. I know my GP would give me concerta or vyvanse but not dexedrine.
Old 01-22-17, 09:03 PM

Thanked 9,960 Times in 4,435 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

When I made the move away from methylphenidate, I said to my doctor that I wanted to try Dexedrine first owing to its lack of levoamphetamine, and reduced potential for side effects.

He was fine with that and it's been Dexedrine ever since.

That could be because my doctor has a specialty in ADHD.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 02-07-17, 03:50 AM

Protazoid is on a distinguished road

Dexedrine is pretty expensive to due to its smaller market. Your insurance might have a small co-pay for it though.

But honestly if you are not getting a response from Vyvanse or Adderall-XR then Dexedrine isn't going to be a panacea. It's the same active ingredient.

The Spansules will have a lower duration of action compared to Vyvanse or Adderall-XR.

Have you considered Concerta or Focalin? Maybe you will respond better?
Old 02-07-17, 06:52 AM

Thanked 1,727 Times in 1,101 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

I found the titration and adaptation process to Dex a mission.
Old 02-07-17, 12:36 PM

Thanked 26,603 Times in 11,850 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protazoid View Post
But honestly if you are not getting a response from Vyvanse or Adderall-XR then Dexedrine isn't going to be a panacea. It's the same active ingredient.

The Spansules will have a lower duration of action compared to Vyvanse or Adderall-XR.

Have you considered Concerta or Focalin? Maybe you will respond better?
I disagree. Many people who do not do well on either vyvanse or adderall do well on dex or dex spansules. Adderall contains levoampetamine which causes excess PNS stimulation, which some people cant tolerate. Vyvanse's mechanism of action is different then both dex and adderall. So many people end up doing well on it if the other two didnt work.
I do agree though that something from the methylphenidate category could help.

I carried a watermelon?