ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 04-19-18, 08:58 PM

Essa96 is on a distinguished road
Results of my assessments

21 Year old Male, UK

After 2, 2 hour sessions with different psychs, both have confirmed a diagnosis of ADHD-inattentive.. though I was close to combined, also.

I've been given the option to take CBT (In few months) and Ritalin (5mg, short acting) but I am incredibly worried about it not helping, thus confirming that I am just useless and lazy in nature of character.

Has anyone else had these fears when diagnosed as an adult?
I thought I would be excited to try this stuff, but i'm just too anxious now.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Essa96 For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-23-18), namazu (04-19-18), PoppnNSailinMan (04-27-18), psychopathetic (04-23-18)
Old 04-23-18, 12:30 AM

MickeMouseFan will become famous soon enough
Re: Results of my assessments

The good thing about trying something and finding that it doesn't work is that you now know that it doesn't work. And then you can try something else that maybe will work.

You're not useless or lazy - you just have ADD.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MickeMouseFan For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-23-18), Essa96 (04-24-18), Little Nut (04-23-18), PoppnNSailinMan (04-27-18)
Old 04-23-18, 03:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

CBT and Ritalin is always helpful. The question is more around the correct dosage and zeroing in on the correct behaviors/thoughts to be addressed.
The Following User Says Thank You to allesandro1 For This Useful Post:
Essa96 (04-24-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-18, 03:37 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,086 Times in 7,008 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

CONGRATS!

You're one of us now!

(((((((Bro Hug)))))))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Essa96 (04-24-18), PoppnNSailinMan (04-27-18)
Old 04-23-18, 05:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,188 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Good to vocalize your fears ...

But don't pay attention to those fears ...

First of all, you don't get overnight transformation with one med at a starting dose ... Treatment is an ongoing process. You start with low dose (5mg is low) , and usually you'll go up over time ... the time allows your body to adjust to the medication ... It could take a year or more to find the right medication and finetune the med to your satisfaction ... so that you have maximum effect and minimum side effects.

You take a med ... pay attention to its effects (good/bad/nothing) ... report the effects/results to doctor at next appointment ... doctor listens ... and adjusts med ... adjusting could be raising the dose, lowering dose, staying the same or trying a new med ....

I have an appointment with my dentist tomorrow. Have had odd teeth sensations ... Could be thousands of dollars of work needed ... I could discover that ... But it might be just minor or no work needed.

What I do is concentrate on the next step ... Just take the next step ... I don't think anyone's life has been transformed overnight on 5mg of Ritalin ... so if you don't see a big effect, that's fine ... report to doctor and go from there ... there are a bunch of ADHD medications ...
The Following User Says Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
Essa96 (04-24-18)
Old 04-23-18, 09:31 PM
Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essa96 View Post
[b][u]
I've been given the option to take CBT (In few months) and Ritalin (5mg, short acting)
I'd imagine that most people would need more than 5mg Ritalin to get therapeutic effect, but there's a chance that might be enough for you.

With the meds, you try them and see how you respond. There's two classes of stimulants: methylphenidate (Ritalin, etc) and amphetamine (Vyvanse, Adderall, etc). If you're on the right meds and dose, you should experience therapeutic benefits right away.

Though I guess if you have lots of cognitive anxiety about the Ritalin, maybe that might mask the therapeutic effects? Just keep it simple, and try not to worry too much!
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Essa96 (04-24-18)
Old 04-23-18, 11:36 PM
Jr Member

jackOutTheBox is on a distinguished road

+1 for "not lazy or useless"
+1 for "You're one of us now"
(I don't mean NOT +1 for anything else so far BTW )

Anxious is to be expected... I found anxiety worked a lot more 'normally' on meds.

Try whatever the Docs suggest then be straight about how it helped and/or didn't help.

You might find instant success, you might not, maybe success for a while then changes. But do DO what they say.

It's a journey.
The Following User Says Thank You to jackOutTheBox For This Useful Post:
Essa96 (04-24-18)
Old 05-07-18, 02:52 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,054 Times in 14,233 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the dark side...

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Essa96 (05-07-18)