ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 03-05-11, 02:41 AM
Jr Member

flutterbye will become famous soon enough
I want to stop Concerta

After much discussion, my husband and I decided we want to stop giving my daughter Concerta 54mg. The negative effects just totally outweigh the benefits. Can anyone tell me if she needs to be weaned off or can I just stop it. I can't talk to her Dr until the middle of March because she is on vacation and I would like to stop it ASAP.
The Following User Says Thank You to flutterbye For This Useful Post:
LynneC (03-05-11)
Old 03-05-11, 05:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I want to stop Concerta

You can't wean her off it anyways, because you can't break the tablets. Just don't give it to her anymore, problem solved.
Old 03-05-11, 09:33 AM
ADDvanced Member

Dovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to beholdDovie is a splendid one to behold

Unless she's addicted to it, which from what I can tell isn't too common, then you can just stop the meds. You don't have to wean because it's a day to day drug, meaning she can skip days without reducing it's effectiveness. Still, a quick call to the local pharmacy to double check would be a good idea. They may have some ideas for you, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dovie For This Useful Post:
flutterbye (03-05-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-11, 10:46 AM
Forum Guru

MuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud of

I don't know if it would be helpful or not, but Concerta also comes in 36, 27 and 18mg. Does anyone know if dropping down in dose over a week or two would be any better than just stopping?

Just curious - how old is she, what are the side effects, how long has she been taking it, has she tried anything else and what are her major ADHD issues?
The Following User Says Thank You to MuscleMama For This Useful Post:
flutterbye (03-05-11)
Old 03-05-11, 11:02 AM
Forum Guru

ArtGypsy is just really niceArtGypsy is just really niceArtGypsy is just really niceArtGypsy is just really nice

There isn't another DR at the office she goes to that can talk to you about it?
Tell the nurse you want to stop her meds ASAP because of negative side effects and what does she suggest you do (wait, get a new Rx for a lower dose, etc).

I thought a Dr had to have someone covering them at all times..........
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtGypsy For This Useful Post:
MuscleMama (03-05-11)
Old 03-05-11, 04:48 PM

koffy is just really nicekoffy is just really nicekoffy is just really nicekoffy is just really nice

It says right in the rx insert not to stop it suddenly. Is your kid complaining or are you just annoyed by her when she takes it? You didn't mention any complaint on the part of your child, which I find way, way disturbing. If she's getting tics she might need to add Intuniv or Clonidine, not stop the Concerta. Maybe amphetamines are a better fit for her. I hate them, but they are much more effective for 85% of ADDers.

You need to talk to your kid before you talk to the doctor. Even if she's 6 and severely cognitively deficient, she still has a better idea of what's going on than any doctor. But somehow I have a very strong feeling that your kid and her response to the medication have absolutely nothing to do with this and you might need some psychiatric help yourself and something to occupy more of your time.

Pardon my bluntness, but you never mentioned your daughter, really, you never considered adjusting the dosage, you never considered adding a beta blocker, you never mentioned having considered switching to another med, you never read the rx insert, and you have clearly done zero research on her disorder or her medications. Those are all enormous, flashing red flags, shooting fireworks left and right.

Or just go right ahead and intentionally destroy your kid's childhood and cause her irreversible cognitive decline (that's brain damage, dude, and it happens to every unmedicated kid with ADD). At least she'll be able to sue you for millions one day and throw you in debtor's prison, since you knew better.
Old 03-05-11, 06:15 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

happytexas has much to be proud ofhappytexas has much to be proud ofhappytexas has much to be proud ofhappytexas has much to be proud ofhappytexas has much to be proud ofhappytexas has much to be proud ofhappytexas has much to be proud ofhappytexas has much to be proud ofhappytexas has much to be proud ofhappytexas has much to be proud of

My ds' doctor asked if we were giving the medication on weekends when ds was on 36mg. When we upped Concerta to 54mg we knew within one day that it was not benefiting him--it caused hyperactivity and aggression. We called his Dr. who asked if we still had the 36mg, and said to give him his old dose until his appointment the following week.

Doctors normally leave "who to call if..." information on their outgoing voicemail. If she hasn't, I guess I'd ask the pharmacist.
The Following User Says Thank You to happytexas For This Useful Post:
flutterbye (03-05-11)
Old 03-05-11, 07:20 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Codykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to behold

Ask the Pharmacist. I believe all stimulants can be stopped suddenly. I know Vyvanse you can. Especially during the summer months we stop Codys for weeks at a time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Codykins For This Useful Post:
flutterbye (03-05-11)
Old 03-05-11, 08:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,016 Posts
LynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffy View Post
It says right in the rx insert not to stop it suddenly. Is your kid complaining or are you just annoyed by her when she takes it? You didn't mention any complaint on the part of your child, which I find way, way disturbing. If she's getting tics she might need to add Intuniv or Clonidine, not stop the Concerta. Maybe amphetamines are a better fit for her. I hate them, but they are much more effective for 85% of ADDers.

You need to talk to your kid before you talk to the doctor. Even if she's 6 and severely cognitively deficient, she still has a better idea of what's going on than any doctor. But somehow I have a very strong feeling that your kid and her response to the medication have absolutely nothing to do with this and you might need some psychiatric help yourself and something to occupy more of your time.

Pardon my bluntness, but you never mentioned your daughter, really, you never considered adjusting the dosage, you never considered adding a beta blocker, you never mentioned having considered switching to another med, you never read the rx insert, and you have clearly done zero research on her disorder or her medications. Those are all enormous, flashing red flags, shooting fireworks left and right.

Or just go right ahead and intentionally destroy your kid's childhood and cause her irreversible cognitive decline (that's brain damage, dude, and it happens to every unmedicated kid with ADD). At least she'll be able to sue you for millions one day and throw you in debtor's prison, since you knew better.
Koffy, I'm guessing that you missed flutterbye's introductory post, where she goes into some detail about the negative side effects her daughter is having.
Before you make a bunch of assumptions about someone's motives, best to look at recent posts that the person has made.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98475
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LynneC For This Useful Post:
angora (03-05-11), CrazyLazyGal (03-05-11), flutterbye (03-05-11), Trooper Keith (03-06-11)
Old 03-05-11, 09:05 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffy View Post

I was trying to ask about stopping Concerta and nothing else. If I wanted advice about my daughter's reactions or treatment in this post I would have asked for it. I have posted all about her condition in another post and a quick click on my name would have answered you questions about my "research or trying other meds". If you can't be helpful and not judgmental in your responses, you should not be giving replies to people's questions. It is a waste of everyone's time.

Here is a link about my daughter's ADHD in case you feel the need to actually read about my concerns with her before you are so quick to judge:

Old 03-05-11, 09:07 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneC View Post
Koffy, I'm guessing that you missed flutterbye's introductory post, where she goes into some detail about the negative side effects her daughter is having.
Before you make a bunch of assumptions about someone's motives, best to look at recent posts that the person has made.

Thanks so much LynneC. I really appreciate your kindness.
The Following User Says Thank You to flutterbye For This Useful Post:
LynneC (03-05-11)
Old 03-05-11, 09:13 PM
Jr Member

I went to the Kaiser Pediatric department today and asked to speak with another Dr regarding the meds. They told me that since my prescribing Dr is on vacation, they cannot give advice on medication treatment. I went to the Pharmacy and was told that I can just stop the meds. I have an appointment with Psychiatry for my daughter to be seen since I am not really comfortable with her pediatrician prescribing meds anymore. The soonest appointment is not for 5 weeks
Old 03-05-11, 09:40 PM
Forum Guru

CrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud of

You can stop it. Be prepared for some rebound effects such as increased ADHD symptoms, tiredness, and hunger. But if it's having a major negative effect on her, you can and should stop it. You mentioned that she was previously on lower doses. Do you have any of those pills left? If her rebound is too much, then you can wean her off with a few days of the lower doses.

Based on your daughter's symptoms and the fact that she hasn't responded well to stimulants, your best bet might be Tenex/Intuniv, which is used for ADHD and also sometimes prescribed for people with anxiety and not ADHD. Tenex/Intuniv doesn't help as much with inattention, so people with ADHD-PI plus anxiety are often helped by a combination of Tenex/Intuniv and a stimulant.
Old 03-05-11, 10:45 PM

koffy is just really nicekoffy is just really nicekoffy is just really nicekoffy is just really nice

Disregard my above post. Flutterbye explained her situation a lot better over here:

You might want to disregard this whole thread, because I'm telling you, that thread makes a lot more sense. Flutterbye, you had me really scared, hence my abrasive response. I thought you were busy shaving your family's heads so you could board the mothership or something.
Old 03-06-11, 04:11 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,415 Times in 6,122 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Six is awfully young to have these problems I can only imagine how challenging this must be for all concerned The only thing I can really add here is that hyper kids are not necessarily anxious kids - I say if she is worse on medications then perhaps another opinion regarding her diagnosis is the right way to go - Even in adults symptoms can over lap making it difficult to differentiate between one condition and another children can be even more difficult.

As far as koffy's reaction goes her post is a bit rash I agree but in her defense we do get a lot of anti-medication trolls here that will come post about the dangers of giving children stimulant medications for ADHD and this section gets the anti-medication folks pretty regularly because of parents already feel vulnerable and uncertain so trolls see them as easy targets for their scare tactics

I think koffy was just trying to protect parents who find it necessary to use medications to treat their children she was just a tad impulsive - I will also admit that I did not read your previous posting either - I have just been doing this a bit longer and was able to identify the difference between your struggle with adverse effects from medications and anti-medication trolls because you speak of your struggles without making generalizations.and sweeping accusations.

Keep us posted regarding the psychiatry evaluation - some ADDers just do not respond well to medications. So many conditions can look like ADD - things one may not even consider like Sensory Integration Dysfunction, Learning disorders , sleep apnea and Autism just to make life more confusing it is possible to have ADHD and another condition .

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
flutterbye (03-06-11), Lady Lark (03-06-11)