ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 08-02-17, 08:59 AM

zomakus is on a distinguished road
Paying attention in class

I was diagnosed with ADD about half a year ago, and thanks to medication (and recently meditation), I have a way easier time doin my tasks and focusing while studying, which is awesome, my only issue now is when it comes to paying attention is class.

I'm in the first year of collegue and I stopped going to classes after a few months (just kept going to a few subjects in which attendance matter for your mark) but its not really an optimal solution. I always learnt stuff by myself but unlike in highschool, I barely have any resources here. We have a website where teachers upload the content for preparing their subjects, but the class notes are awful (almost no examples, missing a lot of content, awful explanations,etc), and the exercises (if there are any), dont include solutions or anything like that, so it's hard to figure out how to do some stuff alone (studying engineering so there is barely any theory in exams). There was also a subject in which attendance didnt affect your mark but on the final exam people who didnt attend to most classes had to do an exam twice as long in the same time (I even asked the proffessor before if the exam was going to be any different for us and he answered no kek).

Would like to know how some of you have dealt/are dealing with this, cuz I have no idea what to do :'(

PS: I'm from Spain so college here is different for most of you prob in case you read sth weird about it, also forgive my grammar mistakes
Old 08-02-17, 11:53 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,359 Times in 12,791 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying attention in class

I dont understand why you would pay good money for school and not go to class whether or not it was required.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 08-02-17, 12:46 PM

In Spain public colleges are free, you just pay for the enrollment which is not much and with decent marks the government pays for it, so havent really spent anything, and even if that was the case I dont see how it is relevant considering I wont be able to do **** in class anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to zomakus For This Useful Post:
userguide (08-03-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-17, 01:12 PM

I think you missed my point, which is understandable considering how awful my explanation was, I dont go to non mandatory classes because I'm unable to pay attention to the professor, meaning they are completely useless for me
userguide (08-03-17)
Old 08-02-17, 01:13 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 17,832 Times in 8,720 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomakus View Post
I think you missed my point, which is understandable considering how awful my explanation was, I dont go to non mandatory classes because I'm unable to pay attention to the professor, meaning they are completely useless for me
What strategies have you tried for paying attention in class?
Old 08-02-17, 01:47 PM

Not much, only ideas I've had are taking notes, which didnt help much, and sitting in the front row, that does help but is far from being enough
namazu (08-02-17)
Old 08-03-17, 12:11 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

Keep trying to pay attention and it will get better. This will take some time. You might only pick up a couple words in a sentence, but it will send a message and eventually you will start to understand what they are talking about. You might have to go through a couple semesters through this and your grades may gradually get better. You can also apply for disability and have a note taker
“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”
The Following User Says Thank You to kwalk For This Useful Post:
zomakus (08-03-17)
Old 08-03-17, 04:22 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,359 Times in 12,791 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomakus View Post
In Spain public colleges are free, you just pay for the enrollment which is not much and with decent marks the government pays for it, so havent really spent anything, and even if that was the case I dont see how it is relevant considering I wont be able to do **** in class anyway.
Oh wow I am sorry about this, I didnt check your location and thought you were in the US. With that said I still think you should have gone to classes that are not mandatory because it makes sense that the professors would give info out that you cant get online.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 08-03-17, 06:42 AM

Thanked 26,829 Times in 12,492 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I had this problem hugely and what I've learnt after 20 years of education (or attending some sort of classes seminars or or lectures) is that the only way I can pay attention is ny being extremely interested and getting involved as much as possible.

Some things tgat may help:

1. Prepare for the class. It's easier to pay attention if you already roughly know what's going on. Also if your mind wanders it will become easier to follow when you can pay attention again. You need a rough framework to attach new information to. This will also help with remembering what you learnt. You can do this by reading any material the prof posted before the lecture or just googling it or reading on textbooks etc. I found online videos really helped me (as I can't focus on remembering reading books)

2. find an aspect you can get passionate about in the subject. Think about ppssible applications or maybe even try to build something based on what you've learnt or will learn. You could even ask the prof for help. They'll be impressed by your interest for the subject.

3. Ask questions. It's the only way I can continue paying attention. Don't worry about what others think. Most profs will appreciate it if you participate.

4. Definitely do attend the classes. Even if you can't pay attention. If you attend the lectures your profs will be much more likely to help you if you've got questions or with anything else. If you don't attend they'll just think that you aren't bothered.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (08-04-17), zomakus (08-03-17)
Old 08-04-17, 03:56 AM

Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,654 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

I'm an engineer and like you I never paid attention in class.

Think fuzzy's advice is spot on. Really actively trying to participate in class like asking questions can help. It's the same as why sitting in front helps a little cause you are more immersed.

That said, those things were never enough to help me pay attention . I never really did ever pay attention. What I did instead was to get other people's notes, picking someone who took good notes. Also, my class always had study groups where we would each only do one homework problem and then we would just share and copy everyone else's homework problem they did. I learned by reading other people's homework solutions. .

I'd also get other people's notes either through friendship or through disclosing your disability as a last resort.

Also, my electives I would always choose classes I really liked so I could pay attention better.

Do you need a good teachers recommendation to more easily get a job after graduation? Cause if you do, I wouldn't skip the major related classes. Your teachers probably think you are a slacker if you are always skipping them.
Old 08-05-17, 07:05 AM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

Tape your classes