ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 11-17-07, 02:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

fredonian will become famous soon enough
Does Adderall repress growth hormone in adults?

For the last eight months I have been on a regular excercise and healthy diet program without fail and have lost fifty pounds. I have been lifting weights regularly. I am of course pleased with the weight loss but I am baffled of how poor my body building results are comming about. It is very different from 4 years ago, where as it seems to take twice as long as to recover and my body simply will not firm. The only difference this time is that I have been taking Adderall XR. I am eating a proper diet (2000 calories a day spaced out into 5 meals) and an hour of cardio 6 days a week and weight training 3 days a week. The results are at a snails pace if at any pace at all. Is it because of the Adderall? I had a full blood screen and all my levels were ok and the doctor simply would not discuss if adderall hendered muscle growth yet I read where it does for kids. So I'm asking on here. I am a 37 y/o male, five foot eleven inches tall. I was 290, and I am now 235. I thought about quitting the Adderall for a month to see if the results would differ. I am litterally getting nowhere with my weight lifting. It's wierd.

Fredonian
Old 11-17-07, 04:29 PM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,401 Times in 6,116 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does Adderall repress growth hormone in adults?

GROWTH HORMONES IN ADULTS

Patients who lack growth hormone often complain of symptoms such as fatigue, muscle weakness, lethargy, anxiety, feelings of isolation and depression. This is difficult because many people who have normal concentrations of growth hormone also complain of similar symptoms. We shall return to this later! In addition, patients lacking growth hormone have an increased risk of osteoporosis (brittle bones), increased levels of cholesterol and possible an increased risk of early heart disease. One reason for these changes in cholesterol is that such patients have increased amounts of fat tissue around their abdomen (tummy) and smaller amounts of protein/muscle in their legs and arms. This reduction in muscle may partly explain why they feel weaker and have less energy. It also explains why growth hormone deficient patients have poorer exercise performance. The heart is a muscle and in growth hormone deficient patients the heart pumps less forcefully, but whether this has any significance to the patient is unclear at this stage.

HOW DO I KNOW IF I AM GROWTH HORMONE DEFICIENT ?

Unfortunately it is not possible to determine this on a single blood test. You will need to come into the hospital for part of a day for special blood tests. This involves injecting a hormone into you (either insulin or glucagon usually, although others are sometimes also used) and seeing if the body can respond as normal by releasing enough growth hormone. Blood tests are performed every 30 minutes to look for this growth hormone response.

***End Quote

The increased difficulties in weight loss could be due to being a couple of years older as well. I used to could loose five pounds by simply thinking about it and now even with increased physical activity I find it harder to loose any weight at all. The metabolism slows with age thus making it harder to loose weight and build muscle mass.

So far I have not found a reliable source that has got any date in connection to addreall usage but I have only briefly researched the subject

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 11-21-07, 08:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

fredonian will become famous soon enough

Greetings- Thanks for at least offering some form of an answer meadd823. I have asked this question before with little or no response, and I just have to assume that no one knows for sure. My doctor is usually good about answering questions, but he would not address this one. It seems like a fairly complicated testing procedure and I think I will just have to continue researching the matter. I've been off of Adderall XR for 3 days now and I am going to see if after a month or so if there is any noticable improvement. As you said, I just may be older. Anyhow, HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU ALL!!! Cheers!

Charles
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-07, 09:18 PM
Jr Member

dhbanes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredonian
For the last eight months I have been on a regular excercise and healthy diet program without fail and have lost fifty pounds. I have been lifting weights regularly. I am of course pleased with the weight loss but I am baffled of how poor my body building results are comming about. It is very different from 4 years ago, where as it seems to take twice as long as to recover and my body simply will not firm. The only difference this time is that I have been taking Adderall XR. I am eating a proper diet (2000 calories a day spaced out into 5 meals) and an hour of cardio 6 days a week and weight training 3 days a week. The results are at a snails pace if at any pace at all. Is it because of the Adderall? I had a full blood screen and all my levels were ok and the doctor simply would not discuss if adderall hendered muscle growth yet I read where it does for kids. So I'm asking on here. I am a 37 y/o male, five foot eleven inches tall. I was 290, and I am now 235. I thought about quitting the Adderall for a month to see if the results would differ. I am litterally getting nowhere with my weight lifting. It's wierd.

Fredonian
You are not consuming nearly enough calories.

Calories per day calculator
Old 02-26-11, 03:57 AM

HGHElliott is on a distinguished road

Yeah you can use HGH at any age..but only under the guidance of Doctor...
Old 02-26-11, 04:02 PM
Contributor

novaprospekt will become famous soon enough

I don't think Adderall would be suppressing growth hormone. Before I go into some chemistry, I started exercising a few weeks after beginning ADD treatment on Vyvanse and then Adderall. I never was an athletic guy and was in pretty bad shape. I've made leaps and bounds since then and have transformed how I looked from 205 to now 160 with lean muscle. I find the biggest problem with weight training on Adderall is that it makes me never want to eat so I never get enough food in me to put any more muscle on. You need to force it a lot.

WARNING CHEMISTRY/SCIENCE INFO BELOW:

Amphetamines (Adderall) do a lot of things in the body with metabolism. It is considered a novel stimulant. Amphetamine is thermogenic (which means it increases your body temperature/heat production) as it raises your baseline metabolic rate. Caffeine also does this (which is why caffeine is in virtually any weightloss/workout stack supplement).

Amphetamine (through its noradrenergic [adrenaline] actions) and caffeine (via direct action) causes an increase in the concentration of a substance called "cAMP" or "cyclic AMP". Increased cAMP causes the activation of a protein called "PKA" or "protein kinase A".

PKA is an extremely important and common metabolic protein in virtually all of your cells. When it is active, it is usually telling the cell to work hard and has specific actions in various types of cells. Think of it like a 'boss' protein or a construction foreman directing other proteins to do their job.

For example:

In fat cells: activation of PKA enhances lipolysis (breakdown of fat to be burned for energy)
In skeletal muscle cells: causes production of glucose for energy to be used (breaks down stored glucose in glycogen)
In your liver: causes glucose production to increase and makes glucose available in your blood for energy

Essentially this all translates into high fat burning activity and optimal workout conditions.

Use that to your advantage, because if you then go and have a great exercise -- the body will respond by releasing HGH and cause anabolic activity later on (provided you have replaced the energy burned with new food intake).

Here's a few things to note:
GROWTH HORMONE DOES ITS WORK AT NIGHT, while you are sleeping.

Adderall is usually active during the day, so even if Adderall would have an influence on HGH levels -- HGH is highest when you are asleep when Adderall would be out of your system or at lowest levels.

Make sure you are eating enough protein. 2000 calories is not nearly enough of anything to make real muscle gains. You may make some lean gains like I did but that's about it.

You need to have (ideally): 1 gram of protein per lb. of body weight. So if you weigh 200lbs, you should be eating at least 200g of protein per day if you want gains. Some serious body builders actually consume in the area of 2g protein/lb body weight.

Make sure you get as much protein in you as possible or take supplements. Protein is used for virtually everything in your body. Carbs and fat are not so universal. Any excess protein you may consume can be converted to carbs or fat (whichever the body needs) but if you're eating mostly carbs and fat, your body cannot convert that extra to protein -- you must consume the protein yourself. So cut down on carbs, increase protein and try and get at least 3000 cal a day if you really want muscle gains.

Adderall is helpful for keeping your fat levels in check (metabolically speaking) but it may hurt your gains by making you not want to eat much (via suppressed appetite).

Good luck
I am not a doctor. I am a 21yo college student studying biochemistry and pre-medicine. I have extensive interest in pharmacology, particularly in the fields of mental disorders. I hope my advice is helpful but always discuss problems or changes to medications with your doctor first!
Old 07-11-18, 11:53 PM

Jekyll900sl is on a distinguished road

Novaprospekt, hope your schooling has lead you to a great career. I've been searching the internet for a long time now because I've had some medical issues, I think caused by Vyvanse. Long story short.. I'm an athlete and train a lot. I was on Vyvanse for about 1 year and became overtrained. I believe the Vyvanse kept my cortisol high along with my training. Now 2 years later I haven't been able to exercise the way I used to. Actually I can barely do anything. I've done everything in my power to figure this Overtraining syndrome out and recover from it. I have read it normally takes 3-6 months sometimes a year. Never more then that. I feel the Vyvanse disrupted my hGH pathway somehow. What are your thoughts? All my symptoms match hGH deficiency.