ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-18, 06:50 AM
Jr Member

Liveis is on a distinguished road
Dealing with mornings and crashes?

You guys know that feeling of emotional death, right? The lack of cravings, the lack of wanting to do anything (including not doing anything), constant mind numbing boredom and the agitation linked with it. Even if you theoretically could concentrate on something, it's still uninteresting. Everything is uninteresting. I was diagnosed to be on the deep end of the spectrum so I don't know how common this is.

I got put on Concerta some time ago (slow release) and may or may not have gotten addicted to the feeling of being content. Doing things is nice. Cleaning is nice. Going out is nice. Hanging out is nice. Just existing is nice. But every single evening after it wears off the crash hits me like a bag of bricks, and it takes me a ridiculous amount of time to get going in the morning. I'm a very active person and I love learning new things, but still having to deal with the numbness every evening is physically draining. The static drives me insane and even though I know it'll be better again tomorrow it's still painful in the moment. It's especially bad when being in contact with other people stops feeling engaging because I'm highly social and I love my friends.

Do you guys have any experience with this kind of thing? Any tips or tricks? Coping mechanisms? Supporting words? I'm tired of getting told to meditate. I'm pretty sure you guys understand why.
Old 06-23-18, 08:41 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,444 Times in 15,032 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dealing with mornings and crashes?

If the crash is that harsh there is no reason to put up with it one moment longer. Make an appt asap and talk about either something else from the methylphenidate class of drugs or something like amphetamines (adderall/dexedrine/vyvanse).

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-23-18, 09:56 AM
Jr Member

Pretty sure switching to amphetamines wouldn't make any difference, it's not the side effects that cause the crash to feel like a punch to the stomach. It's going from being able to function normally back to how it's been for the past dozen years.

I don't get any more or less irritable than usual once the crash hits, I just... Go back to having really severe ADD.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-18, 04:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

musicman64 will become famous soon enough

Everyday at 5 I'm super motivated to do the things I want to do. By the time I leave work and get home and eat I barely want to lift a finger. At that point I can sort of understand your term emotional death. I feel like a turtle just wanting back in to my shell.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to musicman64 For This Useful Post:
Liveis (06-28-18), Luckyjag77 (06-27-18)
Old 06-25-18, 11:51 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveis View Post
But every single evening after it wears off the crash hits me like a bag of bricks, and it takes me a ridiculous amount of time to get going in the morning.
I wouldn't count on stimulants for directly providing motivation.

I'd suggest asking your doc about adding an IR booster dose for late afternoon/evening.

If you are having issues waking up in the morning despite getting adequate amount of sleep, then you might benefit from setting your alarm an hour or two early to take your ADHD meds. Then, by the time your second alarm rings, the meds will already be active in your body.
Old 06-27-18, 01:07 PM

Luckyjag77 is on a distinguished road

I feel for you. Once my Vyvanse kicks in, I am focused, full of ideas and motivation. Once I get home, it is like a balloon with all the air removed. I still have to do chores around the house and keep my kids moving on their homework. A lot of the time there will be many things left undone, which further depresses me and causes me to not sleep well because I think of all the ways I should've done more in the day. I am ALWAYS late for work because I just cannot get out of bed from lack of sleep and once I am up, I at least need 30 mins to wake up.

You are not alone and I hope that you can find some coping mechanisms (please share if you do).

can anyone tell me what and IR booster is?
The Following User Says Thank You to Luckyjag77 For This Useful Post:
Liveis (06-28-18)
Old 06-27-18, 01:50 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyjag77 View Post
can anyone tell me what and IR booster is?
IR = instant release
'booster' isn't a super technical term. It just emphasizes that the dose is added on to lengthen the action of the extended release meds (Vyvanse, Concerta, etc).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Liveis (06-28-18), Luckyjag77 (06-27-18)
Old 06-28-18, 04:04 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
I wouldn't count on stimulants for directly providing motivation.
I want to say I'm not but I'm not sure about that anymore. I really want to do things, but how do you get motivated if your mind can't get engaged enough to feel anything? Serious question, I'm not trying to make excuses for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyjag77 View Post
You are not alone and I hope that you can find some coping mechanisms (please share if you do).
I will! Currently I'm trying to use the magic of positive thinking but it's only partially successful, some of the time. But it has some effect, which is more than I can say for most things.
Old 06-28-18, 06:30 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,444 Times in 15,032 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Pretty sure switching to amphetamines wouldn't make any difference, it's not the side effects that cause the crash to feel like a punch to the stomach. It's going from being able to function normally back to how it's been for the past dozen years.

I don't get any more or less irritable than usual once the crash hits, I just... Go back to having really severe ADD.
I disagree. Many people do not do well on the methylphenidate classof drugs yet do well with amphetamines.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-28-18, 11:47 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
I really want to do things, but how do you get motivated if your mind can't get engaged enough to feel anything?
I get what you're saying. Certainly, when meds reduce symptoms of ADHD, many people then feel more confident in their own abilities, and that gives them motivation.

Stimulants also tend to directly provide energy motivation during initial treatment, but that effect tends to develop tolerance.
Old 06-28-18, 01:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,214 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

As Sarah said, share this info with your doctor ASAP.

There are all kinds of ways you can address this crash and this slow morning start ... you and the doc may have to experiment a bit but that's fine.

A booster short-term dose of methylphenidate is an obvious move.

Also in the morning ... this is something my doc suggested as a possibility for me when I was struggling ... you can experiment with setting an alarm early ... getting up and taking a quick dose ... and then back to bed ... Like keep the water and pill nearby together ... So you get up, take the med ... and then go back to sleep ... until the med kicks in and it's time to get up.

Sometimes stimulants act as anti-depressants and I'm wondering (especially give your description of emptiness before taking Concerta) that you might have some depression going on ... So an antidepressant might fit in here.

But discuss this with your doc. That's what their for. To help us solve issues and problems that are interfering with our lives!