ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 07-10-18, 06:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,891 Times in 13,802 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
How do you stop caring about what others think of you?

How??
Old 07-11-18, 04:12 AM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold
Re: How do you stop caring about what others think of you?

I think a large part is being comfortable and accepting with yourself. If you are looking for validation from other people you are going to care what they think. I don't use other people, words or actions, to judge my own self worth.

And stop comparing yourself to other people. There will always be someone better or smarter than you are. Accept yourself as you are and improve yourself whenever you can.

A flower does not think of competing to the flower next to it. It just blooms.

― Zen Shin
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (07-11-18), Fuzzy12 (07-11-18), Greyhound1 (07-11-18), peripatetic (07-15-18), tudorose (07-11-18), TygerSan (07-11-18)
Old 07-11-18, 06:52 AM

Thanked 6,474 Times in 3,091 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
How??

You just stop caring. Most of the time, people aren't thinking what you think they're thinking about you. Anxiety makes you believe that people are thinking about you in a negative way, even if it's more than likely that they're not.

Most people just don't care enough to have big opinions about somebody else. Those who do have big opinions about you are the one's who care about you enough to do so.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (07-11-18), Little Missy (07-11-18), peripatetic (07-15-18), tudorose (07-11-18), TygerSan (07-11-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-18, 06:52 AM

Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyrinMeow View Post

― Zen Shin

Oh, i'm stealing this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (07-11-18)
Old 07-11-18, 07:01 AM

Thanked 4,907 Times in 2,126 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the lack of responses means that most of us don't know. I wush I knew the answer to this too
Fuzzy12 (07-11-18)
Old 07-11-18, 07:39 AM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyrinMeow View Post
I think a large part is being comfortable and accepting with yourself. If you are looking for validation from other people you are going to care what they think. I don't use other people, words or actions, to judge my own self worth.

And stop comparing yourself to other people. There will always be someone better or smarter than you are. Accept yourself as you are and improve yourself whenever you can.

― Zen Shin
Yes, I think a large part of it is that: my lack of self acceptance and confidence. I always feel wrong and guilty. E.g. I'm struggling to talk to people at work even though I know I need to advance the project because I think I'm disturbing or interrupting them or my question or request is stupid, etc. Or i think they just don't like me and wouldn't want to talk to me.

I need to stop seeking validation from others but I'm not sure how. I'm not sure how to accept myself or how to not feel inadequate. Even now I'm ashamed of writing that because it sounds so stupid and needy. Inspite of this being the place where I feel more at home than anywhere else.
Old 07-11-18, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
You just stop caring. Most of the time, people aren't thinking what you think they're thinking about you. Anxiety makes you believe that people are thinking about you in a negative way, even if it's more than likely that they're not.

Most people just don't care enough to have big opinions about somebody else. Those who do have big opinions about you are the one's who care about you enough to do so.
I know. I try to remind myself that I used to feel.similar (though not this strongly) at my last job as well and it was only when I left that I realised how much people actually liked me.

I guess I'd like to bypass the need though to be liked or appreciated of or even to be approved of. It would make my life so much easier.
Old 07-11-18, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
I wonder if the lack of responses means that most of us don't know. I wush I knew the answer to this too
Thanks I was starting to worry that maybe this is not a problem for anyone else and that it's just one of these things that comes naturally to other people so they can't explain how to do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
tudorose (07-11-18)
Old 07-11-18, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I know. I try to remind myself that I used to feel.similar (though not this strongly) at my last job as well and it was only when I left that I realised how much people actually liked me.

I guess I'd like to bypass the need though to be liked or appreciated of or even to be approved of. It would make my life so much easier.

You bypass it by liking, appreciating and approving of yourself. The only person you require validition from is yourself. If you do that, you'll find it doesn't matter what you think other people think about you, because they aren't the one's living your life.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (07-11-18)
Old 07-11-18, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
You bypass it by liking, appreciating and approving of yourself. The only person you require validition from is yourself. If you do that, you'll find it doesn't matter what you think other people think about you, because they aren't the one's living your life.
Yes..but how?

I know that's all true objectively but I've got no idea how to put it into practice or how to change my feelings.
Old 07-11-18, 07:54 AM

Thanked 21,257 Times in 11,388 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes..but how?

I know that's all true objectively but I've got no idea how to put it into practice or how to change my feelings.
Find it in the music.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (07-11-18), Fuzzy12 (07-11-18), Greyhound1 (07-11-18)
Old 07-11-18, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Yes..but how?

When you get up in the morning and you look in the mirror. You're looking at your best friend. If you're not seeing your best friend, then you need to ask yourself why she's not your best friend and what can be done to address it.

There is no "how". You simply allow it to happen effortlessly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (07-11-18), Little Missy (07-11-18)
Old 07-11-18, 12:34 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,221 Times in 5,355 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I knew the answer

There are days my anxiety gets the best of me and all I can do is replay the stupid things I've done and said to everyone.

I wouldn't recommend this as a cure, but one thing that did help with my constant need for validation and/or approval was working for someone whose approval never came. Ever. It took longer than it should've, but after a long string of impossible demands, I got to the point where my give a **** didn't give a **** anymore.

Even years later, I still have much less of a "how can I help you succeed" reflex than I used to. I learned how to put myself first and say no when other people couldn't or wouldn't. Not being able to play political games well probably worked to my disadvantage, but, eh. . . whatever.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following User Says Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (07-11-18)
Old 07-11-18, 07:54 PM

Thanked 4,907 Times in 2,126 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

My husband reckons it's about accepting yourself. Again... an abstract concept
Fuzzy12 (07-12-18)
Old 07-11-18, 09:40 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 14,837 Times in 7,140 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

I greatly care what others think of me. I can get anxious, ruminate and obsess over it. I continue to try and hope they think well of me to a point.

After enough anxiety and ruminating a switch finally flips and I get very defensive, self-protecting and angry. I get angry from all the negative self-induced feelings and thoughts I’ll have about what others think of me.

Once my anxiety switches to anger, I could care less about what they think of me. I tend to falsely believe they think very poorly of me and I’m done. After an honest attempt to make a good impression my feelings change to “if they don’t think well of me then F them”.

It’s not a good method “to not care” but that’s the progression I go through.

Last edited by Greyhound1; 07-14-18 at 12:37 AM.. Reason: OCD typo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (07-12-18), tudorose (07-12-18)