ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-03, 10:13 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Post Sleeping/Insomnia Forum

Weclome to the Sleeping/Insomnia forum!

This forum may be used to discuss the sleeping issues that many of us ADDers have.

chestnutter (03-01-11), DotwithADD (08-13-08)
Old 01-14-04, 05:38 PM

wichser is on a distinguished road
a good book for reading when a goodnights sleep is not possible is Chopra's book on Insomnia
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wichser For This Useful Post:
apoeticdevice (10-17-14), dodderingof (05-21-08), DotwithADD (08-13-08)
Old 12-04-04, 01:01 AM
Jr Member

Fasthummingbird has disabled reputation
no one with sleeping problems?

I'm ADD and my problem is deep sleep, such as, we just had a new roof put on our small barn, my husband came home from work and wanted to know when and how long it took the roofers to roof the barn, found out they came around 7a.m. and finished around 9:30a.m. not to far from our bedroom,
I slept through it all, I do this alot. I always have, my mother had a terrible time trying to get me up for school.

well, just wondering if I'm the only one with this kind of sleeping problem

over and out for now

fasthummingbird
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fasthummingbird For This Useful Post:
chuckd62687 (02-09-11), cmykgrl (05-12-09), mandy_becca_06 (05-01-11), windycindy (02-04-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-04, 04:22 PM

Dragon_Slayer8 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Is it truely a curse?

No, your not the only one. I also have ADD and (when I find the time to sleep) I sleep rather deep myself. Yes, I will also consider it a problem to get out of bed. But, Fasthummingbird, if you would consider the other side, you might not find it to be so bad. If a thunderstorm rolles through your town, more times than not, you won't be awakened by the light or medium thunder crashes. Minor things that wake up others will not usually wake you up.

Once again, I completely agree that its a pain to get out of bed, but you just gotta pull yourself together and do it. But on the other hand, its kinda cool to be able to sleep longer without disturbance.

My parents from time to time will say, did you hear that thunderstorm last night, and I often reply, "What? There was a storm?.."

Dragon_Slayer8
Old 01-09-05, 02:29 PM
Contributor

neuroangel is on a distinguished road
Wish I had a problem deep sleeping... :P

It takes me a long time to fall asleep, and then I wake up every 20 - 40 minutes. I wake up tired. I'm tired most of the day. And yet, I still cannot sleep. I don't even take naps.

Clonidine helps a little teeny bit. It's very aggrevating.

Cyndi
"But the man who comes back through the Door in the Wall will never be quite the same as the man who went out. He will be wiser but less cocksure, happier but less self-satisfied, humbler in acknowledging his ignorance yet better equipped to understand the relationship of words to things, of systematic reasoning to the unfathomable Mystery which it tries, forever vainly, to comprehend." Aldous Huxley, The Doors of Perception
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to neuroangel For This Useful Post:
beetleboots (11-14-12), DotwithADD (08-13-08), mydsrtsky (03-02-09), windycindy (03-22-12)
Old 01-09-05, 02:51 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

free2bme has disabled reputation
great idea for a forum! i have gone days without a wink of sleep and know others struggle with this as well.

i was thinking about this just this morning because i was up until 5 am, finally drifted off, and awake again at around 8. the good news is that before i started taking my adderall, i dreaded the very idea of trying to fall asleep because my thoughts were the ole freight train going 500 miles an hour. at least nowadays, when i can't sleep, i don't feel edgy or wonder if i'm going nuts. i just feel awake. so generally i check out the forum, read, do some work (i write), or watch cnn. i'd still like to sleep a bit more, but hey, it's definitely on the upswing so i'm not complaining!

"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music." Angela Monet
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to free2bme For This Useful Post:
cakes~harris (12-17-10), hula_hoop (06-01-10), jengen (05-03-12), slammer21 (03-27-14), windycindy (02-04-12)
Old 01-01-08, 09:49 PM

number 2 is on a distinguished road
Re: This Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuroangel View Post
Wish I had a problem deep sleeping... :P

It takes me a long time to fall asleep, and then I wake up every 20 - 40 minutes. I wake up tired. I'm tired most of the day. And yet, I still cannot sleep. I don't even take naps.

Clonidine helps a little teeny bit. It's very aggrevating.

Cyndi
i have the same problem. i don't fall asleep for along time. and when I do sleep i don't stay asleep that long. I also am tired during the day. i don't understand why i feel tired but don't sleep. What are you going to do about your sleep disorder?
The Following User Says Thank You to number 2 For This Useful Post:
jengen (05-03-12)
Old 02-11-08, 09:58 PM
Jr Member

LynnsPassion will become famous soon enough

I have bad sleep problems. I can never fall asleep and when I do I am so active in my sleep I get no rest. Then when I do get rest I wake up every hour instead. I wake up more tired then when I fell asleep a lot and my eyes and head pounds
Old 03-27-08, 11:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

eleanorabernathy is on a distinguished road

crumb. Had typed a whole post, and accidentally lost it. and I'm trying to get to bed "early" tonight! Grrrr.

Anyway, I've had sleeping problems for a few years. I'd fall asleep at
work, and take one or two 15 minute naps, one in morning, one in afternoon.
It's been getting worse. Last fall, my pdoc sent me to sleep center for overnight sleep study, he thought I had sleep apnea. Didn't, they said I had RLS and was on meds for that for a few months. Didn't seem to help. I'd have trouble falling asleep and/or wake up it seemed every hour or two through the night. Then I quit (with permission) the RLS meds, and took 10mg Sonata most nights. Then, pdoc switched me from 30mg/day Focalin to 60mg Ritalin. That helped the falling asleep at work. The past week or so, however, I've been getting sleepy, around 2 hrs. after taking 40mg Ritalin. I read elsewhere on this forum about someone taking their Lexapro right before bed, and sleeping through the night, so I've done that the past two nights, and have been sleeping through, maybe waking up just once or two. I'm not sure why I'm falling asleep at work again. On bad days, I take a 15 minute nap in morning and afternoon, and sleep for about 30 minutes at lunch. I have been working extra hours at a second job, but last night, for example, I got about 6.5 hrs. sleep. And it's only going to get worse the next few weeks being peak time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eleanorabernathy For This Useful Post:
dodderingof (05-20-08), jengen (05-03-12)
Old 05-20-08, 04:06 AM

dodderingof is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurtx View Post
crumb. Had typed a whole post, and accidentally lost it. and I'm trying to get to bed "early" tonight! Grrrr.

Anyway, I've had sleeping problems for a few years. I'd fall asleep at
work, and take one or two 15 minute naps, one in morning, one in afternoon.
It's been getting worse. Last fall, my pdoc sent me to sleep center for overnight sleep study, he thought I had sleep apnea. Didn't, they said I had RLS and was on meds for that for a few months. Didn't seem to help. I'd have trouble falling asleep and/or wake up it seemed every hour or two through the night. Then I quit (with permission) the RLS meds, and took 10mg Sonata most nights. Then, pdoc switched me from 30mg/day Focalin to 60mg Ritalin. That helped the falling asleep at work. The past week or so, however, I've been getting sleepy, around 2 hrs. after taking 40mg Ritalin. I read elsewhere on this forum about someone taking their Lexapro right before bed, and sleeping through the night, so I've done that the past two nights, and have been sleeping through, maybe waking up just once or two. I'm not sure why I'm falling asleep at work again. On bad days, I take a 15 minute nap in morning and afternoon, and sleep for about 30 minutes at lunch. I have been working extra hours at a second job, but last night, for example, I got about 6.5 hrs. sleep. And it's only going to get worse the next few weeks being peak time.
Thanx for your post. I'm a newbie trying to slog thru the site. I've been taking Effexor for depression but taking it 1st thing in the AM. It never occurred to me to take it at night so I could get to sleep sooner. I loved the line about sleeping at work. I was an outside salesman before I retired and can't tell you the number of times I was awakened during the day in some parking lot by a cop asking if I was OK. Had a terrible time almost falling asleep at the wheel. Your post pretty much describes my condition except I am such a light sleeper that when I finally fall asleep I am literally awakened by everything. When I was on the road I dreaded checking into the hotel every night because of the constant noise. I hope you have solved your problem, you may well have solved mine.

No ADD meds, ADD/Inattentive, Effexor SR 150mg.
I have not failed. Iíve just found 10,000 ways that wonít work.
Old 05-21-08, 12:59 PM

Naomi88 is on a distinguished road

I find it hard to get to sleep, even when I'm etremely tired I can lay awake all night and be awake all day, and still not be able to get to sleep the next night. I found that playing classical music as I try to sleep sometimes helps me, but other times I'll just lay awake and listen to the music. Also if I know that I have to get up early the next morning for an appointment, there is no hope of me getting to sleep,and I get aggravated with myself and count down the hours until I have to get up. Does anyone else have that problem?
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Naomi88 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (01-02-11), arcdragon1986 (01-03-13), camallama (09-19-10), carped1em (02-12-10), DeafNova (10-22-12), Edmund (02-29-12), Flarewind (09-30-16), FlightyBroad (01-05-14), Gideon (12-06-11), GreatArtistJosh (09-01-12), hoolio (09-13-11), hula_hoop (06-01-10), Jade Sea (02-01-11), jengen (05-03-12), Jenn1202 (05-17-15), Lola (02-10-09), mentalfloss (08-26-11), mklong71807 (04-11-11), murex2020 (02-14-13), mydsrtsky (03-02-09), research4now (11-23-11), shasha13 (08-28-11), Stefan (06-09-09), Steviepdx (03-07-12), Wookiee (06-08-14)
Old 05-21-08, 01:06 PM
Jr Member

Andibrat is on a distinguished road

I found a .25mg or .5 mg dose of xanax about an hour before I want to go to sleep will help on those nights that I know that I HAVE to sleep. I don't do it often because I don't want to be dependant on the xanax but it helps in those situations where I know I need to be 100% in the morning. The only thing that sucks is I have to decide early enough to do it or else getting up is HORRIBLE.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andibrat For This Useful Post:
mydsrtsky (03-02-09)
Old 07-07-08, 07:56 PM

jfd19 is on a distinguished road

i was wondering just how much sleep i affected by ADHD. I have historical not been a very good sleeper. (in my opinion). SOmetimes it takes a bit not usually longer then an hour depending to fall asleep. My wife it takes her sometimes less then 5 minutes. When i do go to sleep, i am sometimes up frequently, meaning awake and see the time and go back to sleep. Other times, awake and stay up and toss and turn for various times. When I do sleep sometimes it is pretty good though. I think the best night sleep I got once was when I was up for 3 days straight and went to bed, it was very good. My job affects my sleep also, so that may have soemthing to do with it, hence, wondering how much ADHD affects sleep
The Following User Says Thank You to jfd19 For This Useful Post:
DeafNova (10-22-12)
Old 08-13-08, 08:33 PM
Jr Member

MaMudduck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi88 View Post
I find it hard to get to sleep, even when I'm etremely tired I can lay awake all night and be awake all day, and still not be able to get to sleep the next night. I found that playing classical music as I try to sleep sometimes helps me, but other times I'll just lay awake and listen to the music. Also if I know that I have to get up early the next morning for an appointment, there is no hope of me getting to sleep,and I get aggravated with myself and count down the hours until I have to get up. Does anyone else have that problem?
Yep! I'm exactly the same... I've recently been taking Imovane (not sure the dosage) I find that I still lay awake for 1 1/2 hrs before falling asleep but at least I sleep through the night. (unless I have an appointment the next day )
Same as with eleanorabernathy I used to wake up every hour...look at the clock, back to sleep but I still always feel like I have a hangover the next day (without having the fun part of drinking the night before )
Old 08-13-08, 09:43 PM
Forum ADDvocate

DotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really nice

I think my problem (similar to y'all's) is that when my husband and dog are sleeping (yes, our dog, Belle is so spoiled) is the only time I can concentrate on using the computer (and check and reply to posts).. Then, like last night, I got distracted by all the good posts to reply to that I forgot to check online for jobs at our local medical organization hospital-offices, etc. until now... then when I tried to apply, it took so long to load that I exited out of it (cancelled, whatever.. in my own way).

So, I think my sleep problem is also a result of hot flashes (they keep me up, or wake me up) and night sweats as well as ADD. I try to take all my meds (Paroxetine and Arimidex) at night. Then take my Gabapentin that's suppose to help with hot flashes, for me anyway. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I'm supposed to take one 3x/day, but I forget... like I keep forgetting to take my calcium and vit. D supplements, etc. So I end up taking all 3 at night, but it no longer makes me sleepy. Now, tonight I finally remembered to take my meds (night meds) earlier, then at about 9:00 a.m. (maybe earlier??) I'll take a Benadryl that will help me sleep or get sleepy (the dr said it's okay).

Anyway... Usually at the last minute... I think of something else to start on... at about 1 or 2 in the morning. Which I did last night.

I have to wear earplugs at night to drown out my husband's snoring. Then I can try to go to sleep. His snoring is distracting... that's the only problem. Sometimes our dog snores too.

Well, this morning I stayed up, got on the computer (okay, not literally, LOL) and stayed on it until 12:00 p.m. I was going to take a nap and had my alarm set, but didn't go to sleep real good until just before it went off, so - what do I do? Why push the snooze alarm, of course... bad habit. I know I should put the alarm clock far away from the bed, but there's no where else to put it (we don't have any chest of drawers, etc. to put it on. So, I finally get to sleep (and layed on my good ear) but didn't hear the alarm go off... and slept through my dr's appt. (not a psych dr, just a regular family prac. dr.)...

I've got to get my b**t in gear before I start this semester then start working at Greenberg Smoked Turkeys this Holiday season, or the results will be "BAD"!

Okay, it's now 8:43 p.m., I'm going to take a Benadryl as soon as I click on "submit reply"... ready set... here I go...

SUCCESS COMES IN CANS NOT "CAN'TS"

Dx's: ADD, OCD,and MILD DEPRESSION, and occasional generalized anxiety (minor)

Breast Cancer Survivor since 2005
The Following User Says Thank You to DotwithADD For This Useful Post:
DeafNova (10-22-12)