ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-04, 08:38 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 1,632 Times in 574 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Help find a Cancer Cure! (Members...you can help!!!)

ADMIN'S NOTE: WE HAVE CREATED AN ADD FORUMS TEAM AT THE SITE LISTED BELOW, TO HELP FIND THE CURE FOR CANCER AND OTHER DISEASES!

-------------------------------------------------------

Original Article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11..._op_computing/

By Lucy Sherriff
Published Tuesday 16th November 2004 17:30 GMT

Computer users are being asked to donate their unused processor power to help solve social and environmental research problems. The IBM-backed project, called World Community Grid, aims to put the untapped processing power of millions of unused computers into use; crunching numbers for scientists working to understand diseases like HIV, Alzheimer's and cancer, to improve forecasting of natural disasters and to support environmental studies.

The first project that will benefit is the Human Proteome Folding Project. This is working to identify the components of the Human Proteome, a key step in developing cures for diseases like malaria and tuberculosis.

Like the Seti@Home project which inspired it, volunteers on the World Community Grid will download software to their computer to tackle these computationally intensive research problems. According to reports, IBM has lent the project its backing to provide a measure of respectability, and allay corporate concerns about the security of downloading such software.

Linda Sanford, an IBM executive vice president, told Reuters: "We are looking for the individual, not the institution, per se, to contribute. (Companies) will let their employees know when they can participate." She said that the project gave people an opportunity to contribute to a good cause without having to fork over hard-earned cash, adding: "Not everyone can contribute with dollars."

The project has been designed to handle around 10m volunteer machines. IBM has donated hardware, software, and tech support services to the project. For details of how to sign up, go here.

ADMIN'S NOTE: This project to cure cancer, uses your computer's idle time (when you're not using it) to help with the mathematical calculations needed to identify a cure for cancer. For more information, please go to http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/te...Id=C55XNJBR9N1 Once you've downloaded the software, run it, and create an account for yourself. All it does is run in the background. Its that simple!

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 11-16-04, 09:17 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
I've already downloaded the software and have 3 computers running it as we speak Looking forward to seeing all of you participate (it costs you nothing) in this worthy cause!

Old 11-17-04, 12:20 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Draga has disabled reputation
Awesome, Bigster.......am going there now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-04, 12:32 AM

Draga has disabled reputation
Hehe I am online all the time.....should have cure by end of the week

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 11-17-04, 01:59 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
I would, but I'm already participating in folding@home... a similar project run by Stanford University, which also has a Linux client.
Old 11-17-04, 05:13 AM

gabriela will become famous soon enough
count me in - i just installed the program and joined our team!
(shouldn't those of us who're on the team have a ribbon - "gots to have them ribbons!"?) to promote the project?

*please*, *please* can i have a pink ribbon next to my name at the forums?!

"come to the edge,' he said. they said: 'we are afraid.' 'come to the edge.' they came. he pushed them...and they flew."
(apollinaire)

"what do we know but that we face one another in this place?"
(yeats)

Old 11-17-04, 09:32 AM
Ghost in the Machine

That's an EXCELLENT idea Not sure it will be pink...but I'll get right on that

Old 11-17-04, 09:52 AM

minn306 has disabled reputation
BIG~
I go to the website link, click on join now........then download right??

This program will not mess with any other programs running, will it?
Old 11-17-04, 10:00 AM
Ghost in the Machine

Nope, program will not mess with anything else. You download the program and double-click on it. It will ask yo to pick a user ID and a password.....that's it You even get a neat looking screensaver showing your progress/contribution).

Old 11-17-04, 10:29 AM

okay, thanks Big. I just downloaded it
Old 11-17-04, 10:40 AM
Ghost in the Machine

You're welcome Come join, and you'll get a ribbon too!

Old 11-17-04, 10:42 AM

do I get to pick what color ribbon I want??!!!
Old 11-17-04, 10:53 AM
Ghost in the Machine

It will be pink.

Old 11-17-04, 11:26 AM

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
Can my computer get sick thru the website? And I'll have to ask Doug if I can download anything last time I did without permmission I downloaded something that fried our computer. Though, I find it hard to believe he could resist me and my charms *giggles* and we have been thru this scare twice already praying the third is not the charm.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 11-17-04, 11:35 AM
Ghost in the Machine

I can only speak from my experience...all 3 computers are humming along without a hitch

Closed Thread