ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-18, 06:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

BrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the rough
Re: I hate the term "mentally ill"

I think it is a mental illness- I mean look at all the possible co-morbidities on this site. Not saying everyone with add or ADHD has a co-morbidity but it is something that affects the mind and our actionss...

I mean I know I’m mentally ill with my other diagnoses, I don’t get offended...

When I was younger there was and to an extent still is stigma. What can I say, people are ignorant...

On Adderall for ADHD, lyrica for Fibromyalgia, lexapro and viibryd for depression and anxiety, cosentyx for psoriasis, cyclosporine for IC,
Old 08-19-18, 03:13 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,240 Times in 936 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

What are the thread definitions of 1)mentally, and, 2)ill.

M
Old 08-19-18, 03:21 AM

I wonder if there has ever been a person, who has never felt ill?

M
Old 08-19-18, 06:11 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,434 Times in 15,027 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBV View Post
Well, I looked up definitions of ADHD from a couple of US government sites. Now, the term ADHD has the word "disorder" in it. CDC uses the words "neurodevelopmental disorder" in its definition. NIH uses the words "brain disorder" in its definition. Genetic factors are always mentioned in connection to causation, but without an agreed upon exact causation other than that, IMHO it's all speculative other than that. I like the term "neurodevelopmental disorder" myself. I do believe that treatment should fall within the psychiatric field because, other than maybe the neurology field, how else could a disorder of the brain be treated? I also think that having this disorder linked to other things like depression, anxiety, insomnia, etc. means it falls into other areas of mental illness. The brain itself affects so many things that you wouldn't normally associate with it. I took an anatomy and physiology course once and it's really mind-blowing how interconnected every system in the body is with everything else.
So then is it safe to say that adhd is more than a mental illness? I think so. I do not think it is classified as purely a mental illness is it?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 08-19-18, 10:12 AM

Thanked 6,141 Times in 2,896 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

The big issue here is what do we mean by the word "mental"?

Is "mind" purely physical, or are there other layers?

I guess a definition of being mentally well would include good reality testing and competence to act meaningfully in one's own interests.

Ive had several hypomanic episodes and I don't care if you call them mental illness or disorder, or whatever: I was not able to act in my own interests or those of people I love. Confinement to hospital was the only way to go.

However most of the time my judgment is fine.

Equally many people get delirious with a fever or infection- and also can't act in their own interests.

My own way of looking at this is that our true inner consciousness (mind) is always perfectly aware and is not dependent on the body (some may see this as a big claim),but that inner consciousness is overlaid by confused views and other confusions caused by bodily dysfunctions affecting the brain.

Im sure that ADHD is a brain/ body problem, and I think that probably applies to most anxiety, and depression and bipolar (probably schizophrenia too).

So if our internal consciousness is always pristine and fully functional, that would certainly explain why these labels sit awkwardly with us.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Last edited by namazu; 08-20-18 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: Please avoid direct discussion of religious philosophies outside of Meditation & Spirituality or Debates.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (08-20-18)
Old 08-19-18, 10:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

A lot depends on whether you believe that there's more to our mental life than just the physical brain sitting in the body. The actual brain exists as part of that body, limiting it to an animal-like condition. I don't know about others, but I found childhood to be confusing and difficult. I wanted to experience things, but I felt like it got too scary at times. I wanted to be safe and protected always, yet I remember wandering away from my family during my early childhood and wasn't sure why I did that. During those years my parents kept telling my brother and sister to watch me and to not let me wander off. Was I in an ADD bubble even back then? I was always a bit too sensitive and felt things deeply. As for interacting with other children outside the family, I was shy and didn't really want to be with them.

Last edited by namazu; 08-20-18 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: religious discussion (soul/reincarnation) isn't allowed outside of Meditation & Spirituality and Debates sections
Old 08-20-18, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunga Dorji View Post
The big issue here is what do we mean by the word "mental"?

I guess a definition of being mentally well would include good reality testing and competence to act meaningfully in one's own interests.

Ive had several hypomanic episodes and I don't care if you call them mental illness or disorder, or whatever: I was not able to act in my own interests or those of people I love. Confinement to hospital was the only way to go.

However most of the time my judgment is fine.

Equally many people get delirious with a fever or infection- and also can't act in their own interests.

My own way of looking at this is that our true inner consciousness (mind) is always perfectly aware and is not dependent on the body (some may see this as a big claim),but that inner consciousness is overlaid by confused views and other confusions caused by bodily dysfunctions affecting the brain.

Im sure that ADHD is a brain/ body problem, and I think that probably applies to most anxiety, and depression and bipolar (probably schizophrenia too).

So if our internal consciousness is always pristine and fully functional, that would certainly explain why these labels sit awkwardly with us.

I agree, emotional systems, sensory systems and homeostatic systems, as well as environmental factors are all involved in the definition of mental.

Specifics would depend on the individual.

M

Last edited by namazu; 08-20-18 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text only, for consistency with edits to quoted post.
Old 08-20-18, 03:37 PM

Thanked 30,279 Times in 13,952 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel mentally ill. I feel as if there's a part of me that doesn't make sense. A part that is not right. Like an abcess. And it's wrong not because society says it is but because it makes me someone and something that I do not want to be.

Sometimes that part is bigger and on the rare occasion it's almost not noticeable. Today it's encompassing everything.

Is it mental? I think mental is just an abstract term for our thoughts feelings and behaviour. But those are exactky the things, which are wrong with me. I don't know what else it is. Like I said previously I don't really make a distinction between mental and physical except that I don't know which part of my body issick or where the illness originates or is localised to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (08-20-18), PoppnNSailinMan (08-22-18)
Old 08-20-18, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunga Dorji View Post

This thread is helping me understand the quote below.

Quote:
"Mind means experience" "Subjective experiences"

(Paraphrasing Jaak Panksepp)
Brain is homologous physiology?

Mind is experiences of homologous physiology?

Or in other words "BrainMind".

M
Old 08-21-18, 10:09 PM

I am having a harder time trying to understand the definition of "ill"

"ill", verses, "not ill"?

"Damaged", verses, "no damage"?

"Hurt", verses, "heal"?

"Immature", verses, "mature"?

"Pain", verses, "pleasure"

.......I do not know?

Thoughts?

M
Old 08-22-18, 12:46 AM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

I always felt like other people could see me as a bit "off". Like look at her, she's so different, what is wrong with her? Damaged? Maybe I am.
Old 08-22-18, 01:41 AM

Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I always felt like other people could see me as a bit "off". Like look at her, she's so different, what is wrong with her? Damaged? Maybe I am.

It is a matter of reacting differently. That is what usually singles you out.
There are issues with the part of the brain that regulates emotion and attention.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 08-22-18, 03:03 AM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Well, I looked up definitions of ADHD from a couple of US government sites. Now, the term ADHD has the word "disorder" in it. CDC uses the words "neurodevelopmental disorder" in its definition. NIH uses the words "brain disorder" in its definition. Genetic factors are always mentioned in connection to causation, but without an agreed upon exact causation other than that, IMHO it's all speculative other than that. I like the term "neurodevelopmental disorder" myself. I do believe that treatment should fall within the psychiatric field because, other than maybe the neurology field, how else could a disorder of the brain be treated? I also think that having this disorder linked to other things like depression, anxiety, insomnia, etc. means it falls into other areas of mental illness. The brain itself affects so many things that you wouldn't normally associate with it. I took an anatomy and physiology course once and it's really mind-blowing how interconnected every system in the body is with everything else.

I agree that "neurodevelopmental disorder" is better than "mental illness," or at least it seems better to me, mostly because it emphasizes a biological problem in the "brain's development of neurological pathways that influence performance or functioning". The term "mental illness" on the other hand is kind of vague.

Also, I don't mind thinking of myself as being impaired or even disabled at times by my ADHD, but I don't usually think of myself as being "ill" or "sick" because of it.

But looking at Wikipedia, which I admit is not necessarily an authority on everything, it says the following in its article about "mental disorder":

Quote:
A mental disorder, also called a mental illness or psychiatric disorder, is a behavioral or mental pattern that causes significant distress or impairment of personal functioning.
Or there's the blurb on "Mental Illness" from the Mayo Clinic:

Quote:
Mental illness refers to a wide range of mental health conditions — disorders that affect your mood, thinking and behavior.
It seems like most sites consider the terms "mental disorder" and "mental illness" to be synonymous. Maybe that's why I like "neurodevelopmental disorder" better than "mental disorder" because it gets away from the vague word "mental" which is related to the equally vague word "mind". A lot of people seem to think of the mind as a disembodied entity that is somehow separate and distinct from the brain and the biological processes involving neurotransmitters, hormones, ect. that are taking place in it. I guess that for them, the mind is more analogous to the "spirit".

Another put down I hate is when people says, "It's all in your mind" (or sometimes "It's all in your head") as if that explains why something that is going on in your mind or in your head (i.e. your brain) is somehow less important than something going on in some other part of your body or in the world outside your head.

Last edited by PoppnNSailinMan; 08-22-18 at 03:21 AM..
Old 08-22-18, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppnNSailinMan View Post
I agree that "neurodevelopmental disorder" is better than "mental illness," or at least it seems better to me, mostly because it emphasizes a biological problem in the "brain's development of neurological pathways that influence performance or functioning". The term "mental illness" on the other hand is kind of vague.

Also, I don't mind thinking of myself as being impaired or even disabled at times by my ADHD, but I don't usually think of myself as being "ill" or "sick" because of it.

But looking at Wikipedia, which I admit is not necessarily an authority on everything, it says the following in its article about "mental disorder":

Or there's the blurb on "Mental Illness" from the Mayo Clinic:

It seems like most sites consider the terms "mental disorder" and "mental illness" to be synonymous. Maybe that's why I like "neurodevelopmental disorder" better than "mental disorder" because it gets away from the vague word "mental" which is related to the equally vague word "mind". A lot of people seem to think of the mind as a disembodied entity that is somehow separate and distinct from the brain and the biological processes involving neurotransmitters, hormones, ect. that are taking place in it. I guess that for them, the mind is more analogous to the "spirit".

Another put down I hate is when people says, "It's all in your mind" (or sometimes "It's all in your head") as if that explains why something that is going on in your mind or in your head (i.e. your brain) is somehow less important than something going on in some other part of your body or in the world outside your head.

People don't think about their terms properly.
Everything is all "n your mind" hence my signature:
I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.

All that any of us know, about anything, at any time during our lives, is that which is presented to our mind via our senses. It is all, effectively, a hologram, but usually our holograms all match up, more or less.

With that in mind, I guess one attends a psychiatrist for "hologram recalibration services".

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (08-22-18)
Old 09-10-18, 09:55 PM

Thanked 11,265 Times in 5,503 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Yes but its that the only way its classified? As a mental illness?
some also classify depression and anxiety as neuro disorders too

the truth is, nothing has really been proven about any of them