ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Choose all that apply: any of the stimuli listed below too much for you?
Sensitivity to clothing (elastic, tags, etc.) 283 57.52%
Sensitivity to food textures 193 39.23%
Sensitive skin (slimy, to describe smooth surfaces, etc.) 182 36.99%
Sensitive to heat/cold 270 54.88%
Sensitive hearing/to certain noises 397 80.69%
Sensitivity to being touched 314 63.82%
Claustrophobia 156 31.71%
Sensitive to certain smells 263 53.46%
Other (please post your Other stimulus below) 77 15.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-10, 09:42 AM
Contributor

mimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nice
Re: ADHD and Hypersensitivity (for the 2nd time)

My biggest thing (at this point in my life ) is cotton in my mouth at the dentist. I almost have a come apart and will gag if it's in there more than a couple of minutes!

As a child, I hated labels, dressy clothes, panty hose etc. As an adult (after college) I got over all those things.

My son has a strong sense of smell (from his dad) and sniffs food if it's new. He also hates labels and rough clothes.

I also wanted to add that I'm very particular when it comes to looking at someone's feet!

ADD mom to a 7 year old with ADHD combined type.
We both have the privilege of adding "Anxiety" into the mix!
The Following User Says Thank You to mimi'sdreaming For This Useful Post:
lorac (10-31-10)
Old 10-31-10, 08:14 PM

lorac is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: ADHD and Hypersensitivity (for the 2nd time)

I can remember from an early age my Mom having to use cloth diapers because the plastic ones caused rashes and extreme discomfort. I can also remember at various times being super sensitive to "silent alarms" at banks, flickering lights (noise) and other sounds most people don't notice. I am also super sensitive to smells ie. perfumes, lotions, chicken, some foods, and other smells that people don't always notice. I just wondered how many others there are with this same/similar issue? I have been tested for allergies multiple times, hearing tests etc. Nothing comes up on those tests, which makes me think it is a brain/adhd issue. Does anyone else have any ideas??
Old 11-01-10, 01:36 PM
Contributor

manismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorac View Post
I can remember from an early age my Mom having to use cloth diapers because the plastic ones caused rashes and extreme discomfort. I can also remember at various times being super sensitive to "silent alarms" at banks, flickering lights (noise) and other sounds most people don't notice. I am also super sensitive to smells ie. perfumes, lotions, chicken, some foods, and other smells that people don't always notice. I just wondered how many others there are with this same/similar issue? I have been tested for allergies multiple times, hearing tests etc. Nothing comes up on those tests, which makes me think it is a brain/adhd issue. Does anyone else have any ideas??
Lorac - My mom told me she used cloth diapers for me. She didn't mention why, but it was back in the 1970's and they were pretty poor, so it could have been a price issue. I have always had sensitive skin, though. Can't use deoderant type soaps, have to wash sheets and clothes before I wear them, I get a rash sometimes when the weather changes drastically.

I am also sensitive to noises (especially repetitive ones) although I can't recall ever "hearing" a silent alarm. Flourescent lights tend to bother me because I can see the flicker before most people notice it.

Smells are a biggie for me too. Most perfume makes me head-achy and nauseated. Chicken smells AWFUL when it cooks. And I am the first one to notice stinky feet and when the dog has rolled in something. If a skunk so much as walks past our house, the smell wakes me up. And don't get me started on public restrooms and porta-potties. My younger daughter LOVES these places for some reason and she's not quite old enough to go by herself. She would linger in the public bathroom for hours if I let her. Meanwhile, I've got my shirt pulled up over my nose, trying to hold back from throwing up. And worse is when there's air freshener in the bathroom. Ugh!

I think these kinds of things fall into the "Sensory Processing Issues" category. Raising my younger daughter taught me all about this stuff. There's a book called "The Out-of-Sync Child" that talks all about sensory processing and how your hearing, etc. tests can fall into normal ranges but still cause issues because of how your brain processes the information.
The Following User Says Thank You to manismom For This Useful Post:
FroGpants (11-01-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-10, 09:14 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,071 Times in 931 Posts
LaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant future

The only other one I don't see here that applies to me is light sensitivity. I've actually been reading online that eye doctors can special order "prosthetic" contact lenses that act as sunglasses! I'm ready to get some today! Except that I'm worried the sensation of wearing contacts would bother me. I'm going to talk to mine about them. Anybody tried these?

I just really wonder if I have Sensory Processing Disorder on top of ADHD.

The only other thing is I have a lot of food/med allergies. I don't know if that's really ADHD/Sensory Processing Disorder related. It seems like it would be more of an immunological problem. It seems hard to decipher what's what!
Old 11-01-10, 09:20 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really nice

Sensitive to fluorescent lighting, Hate lace touching me, hate the sound of styrofoam rubbing against styrofoam.

Also have multiple food / drug allergies...but also have auto-immune conditions.
The Following User Says Thank You to ADDisme2010 For This Useful Post:
LaVieEnRose (11-03-10)
Old 11-09-10, 01:03 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,909 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

I ticked every box except for other. Uh oh.

Sensory problems really irritate me.

As a kid I hated strong flavor foods like salt n vinegar chips. It stung my mouth! I hated stewed apples but liked raw apples. I hated and still do hate onions. They make me gag. However I always had dirty and sticky hands.

Now I can't tolerate dirty or sticky hands. I cringe if my hands are dry. I have dermatitis and eczema so they usually are. So I put a tiny bit of emu oil on them so I don't leave to much cream on because that can also irritate me. I'm also allergic to every cream except for sorbolene, emu oil and gels like aloe vera or Pau Pau ointment. But I just use sorbolene and and emu oil to be safe. Even aloe vera can sting my skin.

I have an ongoing war with shirt tags. I hate when they put tags inside the shirt on the lower left side. I used to wear tight cardigans, jeans and more thin girly clothes but they itched me too much. Stockings feel like knives on my legs. I don't care who calls me a lesbian but I'm never wearing a dress again. Not only do I feel really awkward in them they too itch me.

I can't wear sockets or tight socks. I love wearing loose clothes but I try to make them not look sloppy. My glasses frames sometimes annoy me but I have to wear them because I'm hypersensitive to light which means with them off my eyes will sting and I keep thinking they're going to burst. I used to get away with watching TV without them on but noooooo...we had to go and get a digital HD TV. Don't get me started on 3D Movie screens.

I still can't take big flavors. Sweet chili is too hot for me. Sometimes I can prepare myself for it but usually I just eat handfuls of plain white rice or scoop yogurt into my bowl. It's an Indian thing. I can't even hold rye bread in my mouth. It's horrible. Gluten free food is especially disgusting.

My sound sensitivity has become considerably worse since I acquired tinnitus after I wore earplugs to bed and one got lodged in there. I was having difficulty sleeping and I thought background noise was the problem. It wasn't. And I have hyperacusis which makes me really confused about where sound is coming from. I used to think people were breaking into the house when they were just across the road.
A particularly painful experience was when I was playing Nintendo with my sister and her friend and they just decided to eat chips. So for 20 minutes I sat there in a silent pain. Ticking clocks are also not allowed in my bedroom. And I got irritated with my mum when she decided to watch YouTube videos as soon as I decided to go to bed.

The worst part is my visual hypersensitivity. Temple Grandin talks about people on the autism spectrum having this problem and I am quite autistic. Anyway, I get overwhelmed by seeing a lot at once; a menu in a restaurant with all that text, TV's in an electronics store, crowds and strobe lights.

I'm a band photographer so crowds and flashing stage lights are my Kryptonite. I have really severe meltdowns around strobe lights and get close to it during intense flashing lights. I've been seeing a lot of green laser shows around too. And I get upset that it doesn't bother anyone else inside the venue. Fluorescent lighting gives me severe headaches too.

I also find it difficult to cross roads because I don't know how fast a car is going and how much time I have to cross. When people cross with barely looking to consider the cars I call them fearless and I shout at them that I'm crossing at the lights. They always cross from wherever and walk in between traffic. Fearless. Or maybe just stupid.

I also have motor and speech problems and problems with transitioning to one activity to the other.

Sorry for the long post but this stuff has really been getting to me.
Old 12-02-10, 06:21 AM
ADDvanced Member

Velvetdragon has a spectacular aura aboutVelvetdragon has a spectacular aura about

Wow, I checked everything in the poll. *lol* And they're all to the point of "interfering with my life", not just passing annoyances.

I have some pretty severe hypersensitivity and sensory defensiveness.

When I was a little kid I drove my mom nuts -- I'd change my clothes seven or more times a day because the clothing would get uncomfortable. My mom hated how much laundry it ended up making her do! I refused to wear anything except specific items of clothing because seams and tags and scratchy fabric bothered me so much.

I still have major issues with clothing. I love pretty clothes, but most of the time I can't wear them. Some days are better than others. I have several shirts that some days I can wear them and some days I can't. On bad days I put them on and it HURTS all over. It's like fire against my skin.

I wear PJ pants and other soft, loose flannel clothing most of the time. I've never really been able to wear clothes that are rough, stiff, or tight, like jeans.

I can't stand if clothing is damp and against my skin.

I have sensitivity to food textures and tastes. I stopped eating meat when I was very young because of the mix of textures in it (chewy, squishy, gristley, whatever). Foods like mushrooms and eggplant and cooked zucchini I can't handle because it's slimy. I can taste all the differences in flavor in different kinds of sweeteners (natural and artificial) and can't stand most of them. I usually only like light agave syrup. Stevia, honeybush and rooibos (red "tea") leave a weird feeling in my mouth I can't even seem to describe to people. I get horrible aftertastes with artificial sweeteners.

The weirdest one is that I can't stand the taste of water. Anyone else have that? It actually makes me gag.

No one -- absolutely no one, not even myself -- is allowed to touch my feet. Any skin-on-skin contact on them makes me scream. They can't even touch each other or my opposite leg. It's like how nails on a chalkboard "feels". I wash my feet with a washcloth or shower puff and sometimes even that makes me feel horrible. Unexpected touches by pretty much anything will make me yelp, all touching of my feet by anything has to be deliberate and firm. I put on my socks and shoes without EVER touching my feet with my hands.

Skin-on-skin on other parts of my body can be very bad as well. If my husband has dry skin, it can make me want to cry if he touches my hands or arm. It's like fire.

I'm very sensitive to touch on my body in general. Some days I can't handle any, some days I can handle more than others. In general, firm deliberate touches are better than light brushing.

Certain fabrics bother me. If they "catch" in any way on my skin, I tend to freak out. However, on the flip side of that, when there is a sensation I really like, I loooove touching it.

Smells can definitely set me off. I seem to notice smells more and be more bothered by them than other people. Or at least I'm the one who points them out and says they're bothering me!

Lights and sounds can make me very defensive as well, I got it all going on. Haha. Certain colors of lights bother me more than others. There's a light in the bedroom that flickers that makes me feel sick unless the room has other lights on to diffuse it. I have a "dark room" with "theater" (black out) curtains. I turn my alarm clock face down so that the light from the numbers won't bother me.

I seem to involuntarily react by covering my ears more often than other people around me do. Do I just have lower willpower? I don't know. Heh. But high pitched or screechy noises make me whimper and leave or cover my ears, and it hurts for a long time after the sound ends. It's definitely not a function of "excellent" hearing. Other people can hear what I hear, they just tune it out or it doesn't bother them as much. One thing that REALLY bothers me and makes me cringe is whispering. I can't STAND it. It makes my eardrum feel funny, I swear. I don't know how to describe it.

I have very poor temperature regulation. I get heat exhaustion several times a year, and I don't live in a very hot place. More than once I've been found wandering around in the sun in total confusion. Heh. I had to be led to the shade and taken care of with electrolytes and liquids. Heat makes me panic, because I feel like I'm dying. I can't breathe, and I feel like my body is shutting down. I have a very clear limit where I start having trouble functioning normally, from 75 to 80 degrees. Over 80 I feel very ill. I know it's just me having trouble coping with the normal body sensations of being hot.

In the cold I shiver VIOLENTLY. It doesn't even have to be that cold. My teeth chatter. People always react to this as if I'm some poor little urchin shivering in the streets. *lol* They pile coats on me, ask me if I'm okay, and so on. I've been this way my whole life. My hands turn red at a seemingly mild temperature compared to other people and get stiff and its hard to do anything. Being cold, even though I have a very physical reaction, doesn't bother me like being hot does.

And I'm definitely claustrophobic... not in the sense that being in an elevator or closet would bother me, but being restrained really bugs me. Often, it's just something leaning against or touching me that makes me feel panicky. For example, lying in bed, if my husband's arm, pillow or body is touching my back, I feel like I can't breathe, and end up having to sleep on the couch.

Sorry for the novel. This is just a huge part of my life. I have no idea if it's related to my ADD, but it's definitely a huge part of my life that makes functioning difficult sometimes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Velvetdragon For This Useful Post:
manismom (12-02-10)
Old 12-02-10, 07:29 PM
Contributor

manismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of light

Holy Crap Velvet Dragon!

I thought I was the only person in the world that hates the taste of water. I can drink filtered water if I have to, but well water and tap water gross me out. Filtered water has a very mild chalky flavor to me. Tap water tastes like sucking on a ball of aluminum foil.

I don't know if you would call it claustrophobia, but I hate being in large, tight crowds of people. I went to Disney World with my family and we left the park one night at closing time and got stuck in this HUGE crowd of people that were grid-locked. Strangers touching me on all sides and people's weird body odors and I'm 5'1", so I'm looking at lots of arm pits. I couldn't see where I was going, I couldn't walk or move. I was afraid that if I started to scream and push people out of my way, I would start a panic and end up getting myself or family trampled. It was awful.
Old 12-02-10, 07:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

Velvetdragon has a spectacular aura aboutVelvetdragon has a spectacular aura about

I've never met anyone else who couldn't drink water either! People really can't understand when I say I don't like the taste of water. It's either bitter, or metallic, or otherwise very strong tasting to me, depending on the source. A lot of bottled waters taste salty or baking soda-y or whatever. Icky. Supposedly we have "wonderful" tap water here, but it's still nasty to me. Heh.

I also have major issues with crowds. Part of it is my agoraphobia, but I also can't STAND being touched by strangers, and BO freaks me out. Heh. (There have been several instances in class where a fellow student would have bad BO, and I would avoid them like the plague for hours, even if it meant not getting my work done.) The situation you described gives me major goosebumps and shuddering and I am not even there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Velvetdragon For This Useful Post:
manismom (12-02-10)
Old 12-02-10, 09:44 PM
Contributor

A sister in weirdness. Ha!

I was thinking about this thread as I was making my drink for dinner. Crystal Light Lemonade. The sweetener may be artificial (which is yuck, but I do get used to it), but the flavorings are real. I don't like to drink it if it isn't at least a little bit sweet, but I'm trying to cut back on sugar.
Old 12-10-10, 06:01 AM
ADDvanced Member

nomannomad has a spectacular aura aboutnomannomad has a spectacular aura about

My biggest is actually visual hypersensitivity. I do much better in life if I have an uncluttered retreat, I grew up in large overly detailed house that I absolutely hated. I do like visual stimulation, things like art and nature and even cities, but I require a refugee for calming.
Old 12-10-10, 07:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,909 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

I can't stand the taste of water too. I can tell the difference between tap water in my town and Sydney water. I'm pretty certain Sydney water is radioactive. Kidding. But it is terrible.

My sensory sensitivity is far worse than before. I shut off to people because of the noises and visual stimuli. Also lights and temperature can make me worse. Even light hitting an object can be too much.
Old 12-25-10, 07:02 AM

Igby is on a distinguished road

Err, hi. I'm new. OK, obligatory, perfunctory introduction over! Please forgive me as this will be quite long...

I LOATHE the sound/feeling of cotton balls. I hate to hear them rubbed together, I hate to touch them. Touching them makes my teeth hurt and makes me want to bite them for some highly disturbing (in my opinion) reason.

One word: Styrofoam. The sound...the feel. I have had massive freak outs over the sound of that stuff. Can't take it.

Chairs being scraped on certain surfaces. Kill it with fire.

I do not like the feeling of chalk and I also feel the need to put it in my mouth. Touching things...gives me an idea of how they will feel in my mouth (i am a near constant chewer as is evident by the holes/frayed bits on my shirt collars and sleeves). For whatever reason, touching something that bothers me makes me want to try chewing it despite the fact that I am already certain that to do so would unleash a thousand unspeakable horrors unto my senses. Regardless of this fact, I still tried chalk and I nearly cried. I do not advise biting chalk. It produces a sensation akin to hearing nails dragged across a chalkboard.

I do not like the feeling of chalk boards. I also feel the need to bite THEM after my fingers touch them.

I cannot stand the feel of naked crayons. It makes me gag.

Death to all tags on the insides of clothing and seams sewn into socks.

I do not like to hear people chew mushy things. I can handle crunchy. Crunchy sounds, I find mildly amusing. I do not like to hear people drink. I hate slurping sounds. I hate hearing other people grind their teeth. I hate hearing MYSELF grind my teeth (but I can't seem to stop.). I DO NOT LIKE TO HEAR PEOPLE BREATHE LOUDLY OVER THE PHONE/SKYPE. I do not like the s sound. At all. Sentences containing too many s's make me want to scream.

I don't like the sound of certain fabrics being touched. It does my head in.

I cannot stand the feeling of the insides of certain sinks and bath tubs. I accidentally allow my nails to graze them and it sends a shiver down my spine and an awful pain through my teeth (akin to the feeling of chewing CHALK).

Fluorescent lights should be outlawed. They flicker, they buzz, they MOAN. That high pitched sound emitted by televisions and computers needs to be done away with ASAP. I can hear every television in my home....from outside. That high pitched whine makes me batty. And on the subject of high pitched whines...the people that came up with the Mosquito ringtones need to be hanged by their toenails and forced to watch sex and the city ad nauseam.

Bright lights give me a migraine and make the words move when I read. I have to wear sunglasses when it is sunny, when it rains, at night to keep from being blinded by head lights and people that don't know to turn off their freaking bright lights when then get close to another car. I keep the brightness on my computer at 0 and the contrast on 45. And it is still too bright. White paper blinds me. Yellow paper blinds me. Blue paper freaking BLINDS me.

I have virtually no sense of smell (thank you various allergies) but seafood and foods being fried still manages to give me massive migraines. I cannot smell it. But I can FEEL it (which makes no sense to me whatsoever. anyone that can explain this...please feel free to do so). It is like this dull pulse in the back of my eyes. I get it as soon as seafood comes into the house and as soon as whatever is being used to fry the food gets hot.

I do not like to be touched unless I know to expect it. I only like hugs that are tight enough to crack my spine. I like massages that others find painful. I have a thing for deep pressure. I used to lie under my mattress to feel calm. I liked the heaviness.

I have no issues with the tastes of things. My issues lie with the texture. Certain textures make me gag, spit, and/or vomit. I don't know why. I try my best to be polite and deal with it when I am trying something new for my mother or when I am out. Slimy things are the worst. Boiled okra (it's like trying to eat snot). runny eggs, etc. I also do not like for my food to touch. I am not into mixing textures. Period.

GOOD THINGS, AKA The Bright Side:
I can spin for hours and hours and not get dizzy. So...yay. =]
I have "perfect pitch".
Obsessive attention to detail makes for good sketches.

I think I will trail off here. I must sound like an absolute nightmare. Happy holidays.
Old 01-31-11, 07:32 PM

QueenTitania is on a distinguished road

I may have had a few of these at various times when I was younger I'm unsure I've caried many to be an adult though if I ever had many of them.

I 'develop' hypersensitivity to things though in particular moments. Any sort of noise in a certain situation can start irritating to me to point when I physically can't stand it and I might figit a lot more. It depends on the situation though, it won't neccessarily bother me but if I start focusing on it and letting it dominate my thoughts it does.

The only things I am always sensitive to is general noise I cannot stand loud tv's. It's fine for the most part if I am watching the tv - though if I'm watching on my own I'd probably choose a lesser volume. But in a group of people watching and it's loud - whatever I don't care as long as if I'm part of the group. If I am not the one watching it it drives me to the point of madness. I have gotten in so many arguments with my mother for this as her hearing is not as good as mine obviously and she likes her tv loud - also she likes it loud because she often smokes in her room and leaves the window open(we live on a relatively busy street so the cars make a lot of noise) combine that with the fact she keeps her fan on to help the smoke go out the window. So when she has all these noises going, naturally her tv needs to be louder so she can hear it. But it's SO lound and I cannot concentrate on anything else. It doesn't even matter if I don't need to be doing something that requires silence/minimal noise like, working on things or sleeping. I cannot stand it. No where in the house can I escape the noise because you can hear it from every room, including the basement. The house is three floors but it's very small and compact. I have been driven to the point of tears because of it and she doesn't understand it and used to get so angry at me for telling her to turn it down.

THANK GOD though, this dilemma for the most part has passed, as she doesn't smoke in her room anymore and she doesn't use the fan much anymore - and she now hardly ever watches tv as she watches everything online and often uses ear phones. Even without the ear phones, volume of a laptop is much more bearable than a blasting tv.

Another thing I cannot stand though is listening to conversations I'm not apart of. Not so much in a public place or out and about. But at home. I despise having to listen to others phone calls - well for the most part. Actually it's my mother who this bothers me as she often just sits wherever the heck she wants and blabs and blabs and blabs at a loud volume and it drives me nuts. I also can't stand when my mother has friends over and all you can hear is them talking and talking. Funny it's my mother who is the cause of all this. My sister doesn't bother me so much for various reasons.

Because I guess I don't do that stuff myself. I'm a total freak but I'm very private about my personal things. If I watch tv, it's personal - I only need to hear it and others don't need to hear it. I don't listen to music out loud unless at a low volume unless I am home alone. I don't get why I'd blast music when others can hear it? If I talk on the phone unless it's a general, quick conversation, I go somewhere private, like my room or something and talk at a normal volume. I don't like the idea of others being apart of 'me' stuff. My tv, my music, my conversations. No one else really needs to hear them!? I do have a bit of remedy to external noises I can't stand though, if there is noise in the house I can't control I blast my fan. I can stand noise I make myself but not external noises. I can sleep with a fan blasting at it's highest setting. I could fall asleep to my own tv probably or even my own music but not someone else's.

This actually makes things quite difficult because others aren't like this. Other people for whatever reason just tend not to care if others walk all over their personal space, some people have little need for personal space. I DO. I go insane when I don't have control over my own personal space. It's NOT OCD or anything like that. I don't care if someone touches my things(within reason) or leaves a top on the floor or whatever. I just need my space. Although I couldn't bear to live with a person who was a total slob either. Actually I have an anxiety of going away to school because I'm not sure how I'd cope with living with other people where I can't really control my surroundings?

I'm incredibly sensitive to touch, especially around my waist. I can barely stand to be touched there it's so sensitive. So basically conga lines and me don't mix so well. I have done them, and I can do them but I need to really take a minute to get used to someone touching me at my waist before I can handle it. I can allow it but don't be too shocked if I jump away in reflex the first try.

I'm not entirely sure if I am overly sensitive to touch in other areas though?

OH I can think of something. I used to despise chalk - not writing with it or even touching it but the leftovers on my hands disgusted me for some reason and I could never stand to not wash my hands immediately after using it.

Oh Ok so another thing. I like 'chewing' things, like pens and rubber things. It's pretty mental and I don't know why I like doing it so much. It makes me feel kind of juvenile. I don't really do it so much anymore but I do find myself enjoying chewing things still at times.
Old 01-31-11, 07:49 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

PixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nice

It's nice to know I'm not a freak here

I have some kinda problem with certain pitches of noises. For example. I live next door to a guy who plays the electric guitar. I can put up with the actual sound but the bass is enough to make me climb walls and cry. I don't mind my own music having bass... sometimes.... but someone else's which vibrates the walls....ugh.

And fortunately he's stopped drumming his fingers on the edge of the desk... enough to make me wanna rip his hands off. Really!

And yes, I also have an oversensitivity to food textures. A lot of things I don't like the taste of, like jam and other very sweet fruity things for no reason. Tomatoes are a good example I saw mentioned a long time ago, I love the taste of tomato in sauce, but a piece of tomato makes me gag.

Although my pickiness and fussiness of all food has started to turn into a full blown food anxiety. I nearly cried because my freaking flatmate (I don't think it was the one I talk about all the time though...) had left peas and sweetcorn in the sink. Cooked peas and sweetcorn drive me insane, everything about them. I can't pick up jars of certain things because they might be open and might have stuff dripping on them. Mayonnaise and salsa are examples...

I also hate bad smells but will seek out good ones, not sure that really counts though so I didn't tick it.

Although I will seek out things that feel different. Food is not one of them but I will touch stuff. Something that feels silky or soft will keep me quiet for hours. I used to stroke eyelashes and hair on people compulsively as a young kid. I have a furry blanket I got for christmas and stroking that calms me down a lot

Yet you know when you run your teeth up a metal pen cap (or other things in the region of nails down a chalkboard) it makes me shudder but I can't stop doing it over and over. The feel of hands after washing them with a bar of soap... sends shivers down my spine but I keep feeling them...

So annoying. If I could get rid of that food thing or that hearing thing it would be nice :/