ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-06, 07:02 PM
Contributor

Jett has disabled reputation
ADHD and hypersensitivity

There are times I can be overly sensitive and I jump to conclusions more than I care to mention.

I also get my feelings hurt very easily and have major trouble with rejection and criticism.

I am sensitive to noises, don't like the feeling of certain clothing, etc.

My meds aren't fully in my system yet but will my lexapro help with all this? Besides meds, how else can I stop being so sensitive. Sometimes I get hurt at the slightest thing and will cry for hours. I wish I could stop being this way.

Anyhoo, are these common ADHD'er traits or what?

I have found that you have no true control over life. You do however have control on how you deal with it.
Old 05-08-06, 08:06 PM
Jr Member

MargaLeona is on a distinguished road
I m very sensitive in various ways as well. not the clothes thing though. But noise, rejection, criticism, and OMG I isn't know the jumping to conclusion was related, but I like to think I can read minds hahaha. I'm very sensitive to any stimulants or anything that is mood or mind altering. Even decaf coffee on certain days can make me hyper.
My problem, I think, is that my dh really doesn't want me on anything not herbs not meds because he wants me to be in my natural state not as he has expereinced me on meds: flat, cold, numb

Although I didn't see it much. I gotta find wats to deal with this....
Old 05-08-06, 08:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,716 Times in 11,997 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
I've always been "over sensitive", to noise, to light, to emotions, to the feeling of my clothing. There have been a couple of threads around here about this super-sensitivity, let me see if I can find 'em...

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...uper+sensitive

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...uper+sensitive

There may be more that I didn't find by searching for "super sensitive" and "over sensitive", but you're certainly not alone.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-06, 09:07 PM
Jr Member

MargaLeona is on a distinguished road
OH I forgot, i'm sensitive to noise i wear earplugs to bed and cover my eyes as well, any ammount of light is distracting when going too sleep. i cover my alarm clock, the litler light on ly phone. I hate loud tv or radio unless is im watching or listening to it yself, but not loud! It makes me cranky.
Old 05-08-06, 09:15 PM

chameleon has disabled reputation
I get my feelings hurt easily too. I have a knee-jerk anger response to it.
Old 05-08-06, 09:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

bekahboo714 has disabled reputation
I am so sensitive it's ridiculous. My husband and I have gotten into arguments over the silliest of things--all because I'm so sensitive and jump to conclusions.

I've never been able to take criticism or rejection. As a result I've missed out on lots of opportunities and relationships because of this. Only recently did I finally realize why I was like this!

I'm supersensitive the sound of snoring. I always have been. I can't even be in the same room with someone snoring. I wonder if that's connected? Or, maybe not.
Old 05-08-06, 10:17 PM

chloe516 will become famous soon enough
I get my feelings hurt anyway.

Odd thing is, when I get mad at someone and they get hurt or upset in return, I end up worrying about whether they are mad at me or not!

"Success is the prize for those who stand true to their ideas!" -Josh S. Hinds

Old 05-08-06, 10:20 PM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
You seem to be lumping emotional sensitivity and sensory hypersensitivity into one basket. I guess you could, but I think they are two separate things.

Some people are very sensitive emotionally. As to being overly sensitive emotionally, I leave you to be the judge of that, but it is not an uncommon problem.

When it come to sensory hypersensitivity ... or just plain hypersensitivity... About 20% of those who have ADHD will have some kind of sensory issues.

Hypersensitivity to sound is relatively common, but scent, taste, touch, and even vision can be affected.

Don't ask me why this is the case, I don't think anyone knows why some ADDers are hypersensitive.

Me
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 05-08-06, 10:24 PM

Thanked 25,716 Times in 11,997 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting, thanks for the info. Do you know what the percentage for non-ADD/ADHDers is that are hypersensitive?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 05-09-06, 08:40 AM
ADDvanced Member

Missfit is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe516
I get my feelings hurt anyway.

Odd thing is, when I get mad at someone and they get hurt or upset in return, I end up worrying about whether they are mad at me or not!
Yah it's funny same here. I'm afraid of making people upset, even when my point is valid.