ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-17, 05:26 PM

JakeH99 is on a distinguished road
OCD and ADHD?

I've had a lot of experience with psychotropic (psych) meds. I've been on over 26 of them. Almost every SSRI in existence I've tried, tried Effexor 6 different times, Pristiq once, and many ADHD options from Straterra, Ritalin, Concerta, Adderall Tabs, Vyvanse, Dexedrine tabs. I have also tried a couple benzos klonopin, ativan. I have taken Vistaril/Hydroxyzine Paomate Caps for over 2 years now. I have additionally tried Gabapentin, Buspar, Prazosin, HCTZ, and probably other meds I'm forgetting. Abilify, Seroquel, And Risperidone I've also tried. Insanely bad luck with these meds here. Treating ADHD and OCD has been a complete nightmare. 5 years of medicine combos, countless varying side effects, and way too much frustration (more than I can really ever convey by words). I am currently just treating the ADHD and pretty much using more "as needed" approaches for OCD. The ADHD is a lot more bothersome, but the OCD is definitely a big issue for me as well. I have sort of learned the times and ways my OCD is worsened or getting bad, so I am using the as needed meds to try to avoid SSRI/SNRI since I've had attrocious luck with those. The anti-psychotics I gained 40 pounds or more on and had VERY HIGH PROLACTIN which was some of the worst times of my life. I pretty much have given up on treating the OCD with the ADHD with the amphetamine/SSRI(SNRI), or Methylphenidate/SSRI(SNRI) combo thing. It doesn't work for me and leaves me exhausted at the end of the day with weight gain and sex dysfunction. I have sleep apnea and low Testesterone as well so I've just been through a world of fun with all this. Anyone else suffer from ADHD as well as OCD symptoms? I never knew the two could exist so ferociously together, but I am a living person who swears by ADHD and OCD being able to coexist at one time. The ADHD meds help ADHD but hurt OCD. OCD meds hurt ADHD progress but help OCD. Always stuck in this conflict and am wondering if anyone has these two disorders and has found an effective treatment themselves?

Also tried Viibryd. Forgot to add that. Trintellix and Fetzima/Cymbalta are about the only ones I've not tried. Neuromodulators have been awful for me as well, thus far.

Last edited by JakeH99; 12-02-17 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: forgot to add some stuff
Old 12-02-17, 08:18 PM

Thanked 33,411 Times in 15,094 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OCD and ADHD?

i have both adhd and ocd.

in my case, i can't go untreated with the ocd. i also have a third diagnosis that requires me to take a ****load of antipsychotics.

but back to your question, yeah, it's a *****. i didn't gain a bunch of weight (haven't...touch wood), but i have had a lot of side effects from medications.

i'm sorry you're struggling. have you done exposure response prevention therapy? have you tried CBT? are you doing individual or group therapy now? i do individual weekly and i'm supposed to go to groups, but i'm spotty in attendance.

i feel like without the meds those things are somewhat useless for me, but my ocd gives me very violent graphic intrusive thoughts and destabilises me in other ways, so i have to treat it. i've found success with low-dose zoloft, medium-dose abilify, and ativan in the past. currently i'm still with the low-dose zoloft, risperdal depot (because it treats the other thing to some degree as well), and ativan. plus i have xanax for breakthrough symptoms. not for ocd, but i also take clozaril and i have zyprexa for breakthrough symptoms of one thing and seroquel for breakthrough insomnia (which you'd think would never happen, but, alas...)

i restart adhd medication within, like, three months if i stay stable and out of the hospital. in the past i've taken IR ritalin successfully with my other meds and long-acting dexedrine. adderall sucked for me. as did concerta and ...there was one other one i've taken...metadate maybe? i don't even know at this point.

anyway, it's a nightmare. i hear you.i hope you find something that helps. xx

and welcome to the forums.
Old 02-05-18, 04:06 PM

JakeH99 is on a distinguished road

I cannot believe how similar that sounds. I used to take Ativan, Abilify, HIGH dose Zoloft 200 mg (wanted to go to 250 mg many times), Buspar, Prazosin at bedtime, as well as Dexedrine (only up to 20 mg a day now from OCD episodes). Caffeine is what drives me up the wall and I metabolize is so poorly. Even at like 200 mg spread across the day, I get mild nausea/sour stomach/etc. I have pretty noticeable "nighttime" OCD that I find it being ruminating thoughts of my past, random/abstract thoughts of just about anything, obsessively checking pen ink cartridges, and often feel a reduced need for sleep (occasionally manic episodes). I choose to go without anti-psychotics, but it is quite hard and some nights it is very tough to get through them. I was going to go up to 20 mg on Abilify, but I've come off for a while to keep my risk of Tardive Dyskinesia low. It's not a very big dose anyway at 15 mg, but the weight gain was insane for me (40 pound increase and woke up nightly to eat up to 800 calories some nights or more). I find that not a lot works for me with medicines, most of it is grit and grind where meds cannot help, unfortunately. I get the pain and struggle. It's so reassuring to find someone else going through a lot of similar things. Best wishes. --Jake
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-18, 08:00 AM

Vex187 will become famous soon enough

I do as well. Been through most of if not all of the anti psychotics mentioned over the years, and they were worse for me than they were beneficial. I have a lot of intrusive thoughts, and nights a really tough for me as well for more or less the same reasons and they lead me to have a lot of anxiety or really intense panic attacks when i was at home after dark. It has a big impact on my social life too (even my interaction on these forums) and are only starting to realise its probably the most prominent issue that i deal with day to day. I find dealing with it pretty intimidating at times tbh.

I found clonidine worked well at nights, when things got bad i could take 3 instead of 2 at dinner and be in bed sound asleep by 7pm and wake up fresh the next day. In the end it was more beneficial as a sleep aid than anything else, and ive just been prescribed tetrabenazine to replace it for motor/vocal tics as they have gotten worse over the last 5 years, but i saw a neurologist last week and are getting on top of those issues with him.

Strangely enough when i take dexamphetamine the tics go away for 2-3hrs until the main therapeutic benefits wear off, as do the majority of my thought related ocd issues. After that/once it wears off my mind starts racing again, and all sorts of ruminition/unwanted thoughts keep popping up until i crash for the night. Dex has a massive reduction on my anxiety though so despite those few negatives its still well worth taking, its by far the best medication ive taken for me so it takes priority.

For me personally, my approach towards treating the adhd/ocd side of things ive chosen to treat the adhd with medication and focus on therapy for the ocd symptoms. No idea how successful that will be but I cant see a better option so ill go all in and then some to get through it.

Its reassuring for me also to know that im not alone on this issue .