ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-18, 01:00 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,926 Times in 699 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quitting smoking

I can imagine it's scary to quit given that experience. I'd be careful too. That said, you can find other coping mechanisms to stress and the difficulties of life than smoking. You can start to build those before you quit.

For me, exercise is extremely important, as I have written many times. I'd say it replaces my smoking habit quite effectively, it helps to get rid of stress and calm me down. It's superior to smoking in many ways. It's actually fulfilling and it builds my character.

Other strategies that I use to calm me down and get in touch with myself (instead of worrying about life) is journaling, meditating and reading. It takes a lot of getting used to and practice, but over time it gets easier to do these things. Especially reading is something that I really love right now (the other things still have to grow).

To finish off... I made it to 7 full days! So glad I was able to pull this off! My lungs are getting clearer, I am having a slight cough and everything is just a little clogged, but it's already far better. The psychological effects are also becoming less severe, most notably was that I had a fine night of sleep, the first one in 8 days.

Now, let's keep on going. I look forward to my lungs becoming completely clear again!
Old 10-22-18, 01:50 AM
Forum Guru

Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute

Day 9! I have quit for 8.5 days now... more than 200 hours! The first days crept by really slowly, but now it's going faster. I do have cravings, sometimes very strong ones, but my respiratory system (which is still a bit painful and clogged) reminds me that it's good to continue. Also, I always think 'this will be over in 1-3 minutes', and it almost always is. I think I have this like 2 or 3 times per day now, and most of them are much easier to deal with than those of the first days.

Eventually I won't post every day, but I know how stupid I can be and suddenly start smoking again, so I will keep coming back for a while :P
Old 10-23-18, 04:14 PM
Forum Guru

Day 10! It's still going great.

I am so happy that I am doing this.

Already enjoying some of the benefits. I feel calmer and more stable and balanced.

The flu like symptoms I got from quitting are gradually going away, and now I feel physically stronger and more energetic than I did when I was smoking.

I expect the healing process to continue over the coming months, both physically and mentally.

Not planning to go back to square 1 by ****ing up. I leave this addictìon behind me.

My plan is to watch myself and take good care of myself so that there won't be opportunity nor a need for addiction. Will do this for the rest of my life.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-18, 12:33 AM
Forum Guru

Day 11.

I woke up before 5 am, I could have slept better, but also worse. Anyways, it's still pretty early (6:30) and I want to use my morning productively.

So, I will go for a run now. It's good to get the blood flowing and my lungs working hard, so that all the dirty stuff that I put in there can flow out!

I don't *feel* like running, but I don't have to. You may recognize that if you just go, after a few minutes you like it. And if not, it's good to build willpower, which also comes in handy in my fight against addiction.

Here's an article that supports this claim: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1219220355.htm

Breakfast is at 7:45 in my bed and breakfast, so I have plenty of time. Let's go!
Old 10-25-18, 09:29 AM
Forum Guru

Day 12

No cravings today, so far.

I also feel better. And that's good, because quitting smoking was pretty heavy psychologically. I was more anxious, had difficulty sleeping (still have, but it's getting better), was more emotional (angry/sad), felt jittery and restless. Now I feel much more calm and confident. It's hard to imagine that only 12 days ago I still smoked and that I went through this rollercoaster, it feels like ages have passed!

Anyways, let's keep doing the right things to help the healing process and keep the cravings under control: writing in this thread - about once per day, but I will start skipping days from now on because the need for this becomes less, and exercising a lot. Tonight I plan to do a 10 kilometer run, followed by yoga later in the evening.
Old 10-30-18, 06:23 AM
Forum Guru

I slipped up, because of all of the stress of the past days. I smoked 1 package (about 20 cigarettes).

However, I also quit again. Last time smoking was saturday late in the evening. So, I am on day 3 again.

Also, I don't feel like I have to start all over again, I feel like I have already made a lot of progress (in terms of psychological and physical healing, building positive habits to replace the smoking (exercise, meditation) and mindset), and did a step back for sure, but I still have most of what I gained. Now, let's build on that and give this another serious try.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
Caco3girl (10-31-18), Fuzzy12 (10-30-18)
Old 10-30-18, 06:54 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,354 Times in 13,987 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

12 days is fantastic. Ignore the slip up. They are part of giving up. What helped me the most (apart from vaping) was exercise, exercise, exercise. Till I sprained my ankle when playing squash and was on crutches for two.months..

Oh and also.looking up how my body was slowly recovering:

https://www.nhs.uk/smokefree/why-qui...-when-you-quit
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Jacksper (10-30-18)
Old 10-31-18, 12:26 PM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of

Jacksper,

When I tried to quit I got this brain fog type thing. I'm in a very complex job and I felt like my brain was drunk. Have you experienced any of that?
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
Jacksper (11-19-18)
Old 11-19-18, 06:04 AM
Forum Guru

@Fuzzy - Thanks! I started and quit again several times. I quit last Saturday, had my last cigarette somewhere early in the evening.

Stayed in bed every since, not feeling well. Very low energy and flu like symptoms. Anyways, I am not even considering smoking, I feel to bad for that, so this will get me through those hardest days of quitting.

Planning to quit drinking as well this time. I want to be more careful with my body, now that I am thinking and planning on building a good life for myself I think steps like these are very useful (saving money, health, energy, etc).

@Caco3girl - Yeah I have that, it's one of the tough things about quitting, and the reason why I don't like quitting when work is challenging (it isn't too bad right now fortunately). On the other hand, when I smoke I have more cravings and I find myself taking smoking breaks, which takes time and feels stupid.
Old 12-11-18, 06:24 AM
Forum Guru

Ok I quit again this morning (just before 9 am).

Now that I am dating I really don't want this dirty addiction in my life anymore. So, let's stop this!

I hope that my system doesn't get too clogged as my lungs start regenerating over the coming weeks (or months) - if it does, I have deserved it. Anyways, let's be positive, I am taking this step now and I believe that I can do it.