ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 09-08-04, 09:46 PM
Jr Member

CryForHelp is on a distinguished road
Question Son switched from Adderall to Straterra.. Mistake??

My son had been on Adderall for approx 3 years and about a week ago I switched him to Straterra. The reason I took him off Adderall was he always seemed edgy, cranky and not in a "happy mood". While he did good in school on it and seemed to concentrate much better I missed my "happy out-going child". I asked the Dr about Ritalin and he said that it was a lot like Adderral and that maybe we should try Straterra. He said that it may take a month or more for him to get the full effect and we'd just have to be patient. Even after a month we may have to up his doseage and wait another month to see if that doseage will work. I dont know if I'm just being unreasonable but I don't know if his teacher or his grades will be patient enough to wait a month or two.

Even though the Dr tried telling me the side effects in Straterra are very little compared to the others, I'm reading that it's just not true! It scares me to think I just made a horrible decision by changing. I really hate calling the Dr and saying I dont want this and would rather try Ritalin. How do you know what side effects you'll just have to live with and what ones are avoidable? I'm so confused about it all I'm about to rip my hair out!!

Tammy
Old 01-26-10, 12:50 AM
Jr Member

mommyofADHDson is on a distinguished road
Re: Son switched from Adderall to Straterra.. Mistake??

Hi Tammy -

My son is on straterra and i gotta say he does well with it - he's been on it for 5 yrs. Now Ritalin spaced my son out. My son also takes Risperdal for his mood swings - and i tell u its done wonders and it works pretty fast - how about asking ur son's Dr @ Risperdal - research it first and c if u may think its fine - my son doesnt experience the side effect such as weight gain but they do weigh him very regularly. My son takes 40mg of Strattera - best of luck to you hun : )
Old 01-26-10, 01:56 AM
Contributor

penguin has a spectacular aura aboutpenguin has a spectacular aura about

Hi,
Some docs will use a lower dose of Ritalin during the titration period for Strat.
Enjoy....
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-10, 09:39 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,891 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tammy, I can't say how these meds work in kids but can give you my own Strattera story.

I've never been on stimulants but as I understand it they act virtually immediately. Strattera took 8-10 weeks to settle in (if you will) in my system. Partly because the dosage was titrated up from 25-40-60-80-100 over the first 6 weeks.

I did have side effects at first but have adjusted to them or they have simply abated.

Since Strattera was my first ADHD med -- and I felt a positive difference from the first dose -- I stuck with it despite the discomfort of the side effects.

For you child, dry mouth and constipation are likely to be the worst ones so keeping bottled water on hand may help with both of those.

HTH and good luck!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi