ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Science in the Media
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Science in the Media This forum is for articles and stories of scientific importance; open discussion is encouraged

Old 09-06-08, 12:07 AM

starvingstudent has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Any neuroscientific articles on ADHD-PI/Sluggish Cognitive Tempo?

I am realizing that these "subtypes" of ADHD more cleanly overlap with my symptoms than "traditional" ADHD. I have found some good behavioral descriptions, but I am curious to learn more about the underlying neural mechanisms.
Old 09-06-08, 03:27 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
Re: Any neuroscientific articles on ADHD-PI/Sluggish Cognitive Tempo?

SCT is not really a subtype of ADHD but it is associateed with inattentive subtype ADHD. Go to pubmed.org and search the phrase "sluggish cognitive tempo". There is lots of info on ADHD with SCT there.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez/

ME
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
The Following User Says Thank You to speedo For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-06-08)
Old 09-06-08, 06:31 AM

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo View Post
SCT is not really a subtype of ADHD but it is associateed with inattentive subtype ADHD. Go to pubmed.org and search the phrase "sluggish cognitive tempo". There is lots of info on ADHD with SCT there.

ME

I did this and found 15 articles. Good suggestion from Speedo

You can also go to The National Resource Center on AD/HD:
http://www.help4adhd.org/

There is a section where you can email questions and someone will get back to you. Tested it several years ago on a technical question and got a good technical answer back. Might be worth a try.

If you are a college student, you might hit the library. Colleges usually have some good resources such as Psychlit that are not available on the net.

The problem is that there is not a lot known about SCT and especially with the neurological basis for it.

Barkley once stated in a workshop that, at that time, the ratio of impulsive hyperactive type to inattentive type was about 100 to 1 .

Thankfully this is beginning to change but I suspect you will not yet find much available.

Dizfriz
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-08, 04:42 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo View Post

ME
I think some would beg to differ on that, even if it goes against the grain of current scientific research.

I myself still tend to think that SCT is at the end of the ADHD-PI spectrum.
The Following User Says Thank You to Batman55 For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-08-08)
Old 09-08-08, 07:38 AM

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman55 View Post
I think some would beg to differ on that, even if it goes against the grain of current scientific research.

I myself still tend to think that SCT is at the end of the ADHD-PI spectrum.
And you may well be right. The matter is not settled yet however the weight of the research is leaning in the direction of separate disorder.

If the treatment is the same as for ADHD then a different diagnosis is not all that useful. If the treatment needs to be different for SCT then a separate diagnosis is vital.

Good discussion.

Dizfriz
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
Batman55 (09-09-08), Imnapl (09-08-08), namazu (10-10-11)
Old 09-17-08, 06:26 PM

nomADD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizfriz View Post
Barkley once stated in a workshop that, at that time, the ratio of impulsive hyperactive type to inattentive type was about 100 to 1 .
Barkley and Adele Diamond have both suggested that inattentive ADHD may actually be a fundamentally different "disorder" from ADHD-H altogether.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=1474811

I like her characterization of it as "dysexecutive syndrome" as my main issues with inattentiveness are my screwed up executive functions. I see the low energy that other people report as a dysthemic comorbidity, which apparently is quite common with inattentive only ADHD. SCT could well be inattentive only ADHD with a dysthemic comorbidity. Anyway, this is obviously conjecture on my part, but if I was a researcher in the field I would look into it.
Contrapunctus (09-26-08), fmeffem (10-06-08)
Old 09-17-08, 07:18 PM

nomADD is on a distinguished road

Following up on my previous post, if Diamond's hypothesis is correct, then hyperactive ADHD should be renamed inhibition deficit disorder and inattentive ADHD should be renamed working memory deficit disorder. They have overlaps in symptoms, but the underlying core deficits are different and should be treated with different medications with the former being more likely to respond to methylphenidate and the latter to amphetamines.