ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-10, 08:00 PM

vawksel is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb I thought I had ADHD primarily inattentive - SCT. Then I woke up three weeks ago...

About six months ago, I was finally diagnosed with ADHD, Primarily inattentive after struggling with focus issues the 32 years of my life. I started on Concerta first, which didn’t help me very much. I switched to Vyvanse and Dexadrine IR, and wow, it changed my life.

I spent six months taking this drug as a 32 year old man, and it changed my life. I could focus on work, I could think clearer. I got a sense of self-awareness I never had. I could finally control my thoughts, and even developed a stronger minds-eye and “working area” of my brain so I could hold details in my head while thinking instead of just getting lost in thought. It changed how my mind worked, and I operated and functioned much more as a what I thought a normal person should. I felt more like an adult. It was amazing, everything everyone with ADHD says it is once you get treatment and nothing like what those say amphetamines is like if you don’t have ADHD.

Vyvanse truly changed my life. I was taking very small doses, only 30mg and a single 5mg IR booster a day! My doctor was confused by this as he said small children usually take this much. After I read about SCT (Slow cognitive tempo) though, I found it fit me perfectly, all the way through the dosing itself, as it required much less medication than “standard” ADHD primarily inattentive types require. I read that 1/4 dose a standard ADHD patient was common for SCT patients.

I was a child without focus, lost in my head. Barely passing grade after grade through finishing Highschool with a 2.0gpa. While above intelligence, I lacked the motivation to do anything. People called me the smartest laziest kid and person they knew.

My wife was going through her own mental issues, (borderline personality disorder) and found that she was severely vitamin D deficient. She was prescribed liquid Vitamin D3 (calcifercol).

So for the hell of it, I was thinking, I’ll take some. I started dosing about 10,000 IU’s a day.

After two weeks, something happened to me. I woke up, and before I took my ADHD medication, I had focus. My heart was racing, and I was really confused. I took my meds anyways, thinking it was a fluke.

A few hours into my medication, I felt more like jumping out of my skin, and that my focus was going down-hill from where I was earlier in the morning. I realized at this point, something IS DIFFERENT.

So the next morning, I didn’t take my meds, and I started upping my dose to a full 50,000 IU’s a day after I read that it takes 3 months dosing every day to get toxicity. Over the next week, my life changed again. My ADHD SCT symptoms stopped. I became more self-aware. In control of my thoughts, able to track multiple things at the same time while thinking about other things, something impossible before. My work focus is great, I can think clearly, I can multi-task… I feel like an adult.

I have to go to my Doctor (appt coming up) to get a full panel tested on me. But right now, it seems that a Vitamin D deficiency has caused me to have ADHD-SCT symptoms, and possibly for all my life. I was born allergic to milk, and became hooked on computers at the age of 5. I rarely went out doors my whole life, and didn’t eat much fish (another D2 source).

I no longer have ADHD primarily inattentive symptoms. I am not ‘fixed’ though, as I realize that much like pills don’t teach skills, vitamin D3 doesn’t teach skills either. So I am now learning how to control my mind better to attain the goals I want in life. It’s quite a trip though because now I feel like I can feel the tools instead of living in an inattentive fog.

I spoke with two aunts of mine in my family over Christmas holiday, and two of them describe to me they most of the ADHD Primarily inattentive symptoms, and one of them was diagnosed by her doctors to have a Vit D3 deficiency. Seeing how this could be genetic, it could be we share the DNA causing our executive function to break down lacking D3. They are going to try some better D3 therapy and let me know how it works.

If anyone has any questions, I am happy to share. I just still can’t believe that I’ve lived with ADHD SCT symptoms my whole life, and suddenly a few drops later, that whole way of thinking and functioning is just gone…

TL;DR; After six months of taking Vyvanse for ADHD, I discovered a vitamin D deficiency and subsequent treatment ‘cured’ me of my slow cognitive tempo (ADHD SCT).
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to vawksel For This Useful Post:
Abi (01-03-11), Book_Worm (03-23-11), cantakeitnemore (12-28-10), dag nab it (12-14-13), Djo77 (12-28-10), ginniebean (12-28-10), italianstallion (04-25-17), Jamison3412 (06-24-11), loveydovey25 (03-24-11), mitchb (06-27-16), radiohead (10-28-11), secretADDmirer (03-24-11), sloppitty-sue (12-28-10)
Old 12-27-10, 08:12 PM

scary will become famous soon enough
Re: I thought I had ADHD primarily inattentive - SCT. Then I woke up three weeks ago

Hi this is really interesting, how did you cope for 32 years? How did you get diagnosed? i mean did you go to your Dr and tell him something isnt right first?
Old 12-27-10, 08:17 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,071 Times in 931 Posts
LaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant future
Re: I thought I had ADHD primarily inattentive - SCT. Then I woke up three weeks ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by vawksel View Post
About six months ago, I was finally diagnosed with ADHD, Primarily inattentive after struggling with focus issues the 32 years of my life.

TL;DR; After six months of taking Vyvanse for ADHD, I discovered a vitamin D deficiency and subsequent treatment ‘cured’ me of my slow cognitive tempo (ADHD SCT).
What do you attribute the cause of your focus issues your whole life prior to this discovery?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-10, 08:33 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,261 Times in 8,226 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who searched for a cure for possible relief of ADD for quite some time, I'm highly speculative when I see things like a quick cure like a vitamin D supplement. I'm not denying your personal experience, but really, how can something so simple be able to relieve your symptoms of ADD?

I decided to peruse the web and did find some links pertaining to Vitamin D and ADD. One was based on personal experience, which is what you have gone through. I found this blog entry, which was excellent (not scientific).

http://adhd-treatment-options.blogsp...iency-any.html

There isn't any scientific research to validate your claim. Yet, there remains in me a speckle of hope, making me wonder if there is an answer to some of our problems with ADD.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 12-27-10, 09:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,791 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Vawksel, may I ask who diagnosed your inattentive ADHD?

Phaedrus

Old 12-27-10, 09:46 PM
Jr Member

winterwinter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
As someone who searched for a cure for possible relief of ADD for quite some time, I'm highly speculative when I see things like a quick cure like a vitamin D supplement. I'm not denying your personal experience, but really, how can something so simple be able to relieve your symptoms of ADD?

I decided to peruse the web and did find some links pertaining to Vitamin D and ADD. One was based on personal experience, which is what you have gone through. I found this blog entry, which was excellent (not scientific).

There isn't any scientific research to validate your claim. Yet, there remains in me a speckle of hope, making me wonder if there is an answer to some of our problems with ADD.
there might be an answer to those problem.
Old 12-27-10, 10:22 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,261 Times in 8,226 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

which is what winter winter wonderland?

~Paulo Coelho
Old 12-27-10, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary View Post
Hi this is really interesting, how did you cope for 32 years? How did you get diagnosed? i mean did you go to your Dr and tell him something isnt right first?
A psychiatrist in San Jose california diagnosed me. I went to him telling him I had some focus problems, and he diagnosed me after some time as primarily inattentive ADHD.

I coped by having constant racing thoughts. My mind would never stop to be clear. I could also not put myself outside my head. I could never be in the world, instead it was like I could only process one sense at a time. If I was listening intently, then cognitively, I become unaware of my thoughts or whats visually there. If I am thinking, then visual/audio becomes "foggy". Its like I could only process one thing at a time, and never stop thinking.

So I copped by doing what I wanted, which was playing with computers my whole life. I would sit in class and mostly day-dream all day as I couldn't get the focus or motivation to do anything.

I tried to listen to the teacher, but my thoughts would wander off constantly. it's like in comparison to now, my brain was on auto-pilot and I would just hope that it is in the right mood. Now I am in control and even if I am tired, I can STILL FOCUS. I can be exhausted, and my head hurts from being so tired, but I can still lock on my thoughts and power through for some time.

I am NOT CLAIMING I even have ADHD at this point. I am claiming though that something about me makes it so Vitamin D deficiency is _very bad_. I am also an INTP myers brigg type. I don't know if that has something to do with it or not. Possible INTP's living more in logical though requires vit D levels be up for fast enough cognitive function.. no idea !
The Following User Says Thank You to vawksel For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (12-27-10)
Old 12-27-10, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurve11 View Post
What do you attribute the cause of your focus issues your whole life prior to this discovery?
Up until just a year ago, I thought I was 'normal', and everyone else was weird. Once I tried Vyvanse, it woke me up enough that I could see that I was the one who was strange.

When I finally got a job where I had to pump out work over and over on a time schedule, I realized something was wrong with me. This is when I went for help as I didn't want to get fired from my job. I almost lost many jobs in my life due to "laziness". At 32 I decided that I didn't want to keep being on the verge of being fired all the time, so I got some help.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vawksel For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (12-29-10), Enigma33 (12-29-10), loveydovey25 (03-24-11), Proletariat (12-28-10)
Old 12-27-10, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnapl View Post
Vawksel, may I ask who diagnosed your inattentive ADHD?
Dr. Shigefumi Shibata located in near San Jose, California:

http://www.healthgrades.com/director...ta-md-6c7a46d2
Old 12-27-10, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post

Yeah, I am not claiming anymore that I even have ADHD. If I can 'cure' myself of this with a vitamin, then obviously I never had the 'real' thing.

It seems there are many types of ADHD, and many causes. I am guessing that there may be a 'rare' type of ADHD thats caused by severe Vitamin D deficiency.

What does this mean? It means, it probably won't help you, but who knows.. I thought I had ADHD SCT, my docs did, I fit the symptoms, for my whole life... and yet, a vitamin has changed my reality. Why would I be so special and unique? I am pretty sure other people must have the same problem.

I will go back to my Psychatrist in a week and will share this news with him. It's been about 3 weeks solid now with no ADHD meds, and every day is slightly clearer and better than the previous. I'll let you guys know what he thinks about all of this, although I feel like he will probably just be scratching his head.
Old 12-28-10, 12:20 AM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 780 Posts
tipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant future

Huh. I haven't been formally diagnosed, but I've suspected myself of having ADHD-PI for a long time now. Vitamin D is normally made when sunlight hits your skin, but the further north in latitude you live, the higher your chance of deficiency is. Also, dark skinned people produce less in the same amount of time as lighter skinned people. So for me, a brown dude living in Canada, it sounds like I'm double-screwed.

I've been taking a 1000UI pill a day for a while (well, I was until two weeks ago when it ran out, haven't gotten more yet), 50,000 sounds absolutely massive! Your right in saying that toxicity only occurs in long term high doses though. Maybe I should give this a chance or get tested to see if I'm deficient.
Old 12-28-10, 12:49 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

kattsqueen is just really nicekattsqueen is just really nicekattsqueen is just really nicekattsqueen is just really nice

hi vawsel i had a very similar experience as yours.. My children and I were all diagnosed with add inattentive at approximately the same time,, but the medicine didnt work for us,, adderal caused serious side affects for all three of us,, within several months we were all off of stimulants..I did find them help full but suffered arrythmias and super high blood pressure,,,Twelve years later i came a cross an article in this forum through a link about a rare type of sensory overload add related to potassium levels.. needless to say after a few days on a low carb diet and supplementation of six potassium tabs four times a day i woke up with no muscle pain as well as much improved focus,, as in your case i dont believe i had a true add but rather a condition very much like a mild to moderate alzheimers or inattentive add that was caused by my bodies lack of potassium,,, i also supplement with magnesium and vitamin d as well as zinc and magnesium..also low sodium diet,, not all add like conditions are conditions unto themselves but for many people are actually symptoms of a larger systemic disorder.. the disease i am being treated for is called andersen tawil syndrome.. and executive function disorder along with abstract thinking is a known symptom of the condition,,kattsqueen

Last edited by kattsqueen; 12-28-10 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: change something
Old 12-28-10, 12:51 AM

Thanked 25,988 Times in 12,126 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post
Huh. I haven't been formally diagnosed, but I've suspected myself of having ADHD-PI for a long time now. Vitamin D is normally made when sunlight hits your skin, but the further north in latitude you live, the higher your chance of deficiency is. Also, dark skinned people produce less in the same amount of time as lighter skinned people. So for me, a brown dude living in Canada, it sounds like I'm double-screwed.

I've been taking a 1000UI pill a day for a while (well, I was until two weeks ago when it ran out, haven't gotten more yet), 50,000 sounds absolutely massive! Your right in saying that toxicity only occurs in long term high doses though. Maybe I should give this a chance or get tested to see if I'm deficient.
I thought 10,000 UI sounded like a massive dose. Between 2,000 and 4,000 is more commonly recommended unless you've been tested to see what your Vitamin D3 levels are. In a small number of patients, especially African-Americans, Vitamin D3 supplements can raise calcium levels to a dangerously high level (from here).

More information on hypercalcemia and other problems with high doses of Vitamin D3 read this page from the Mayo Clinic.

Vitamin D3 is actually a hormone, not a vitamin, don't know how it ended up with that name.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
tipoo (12-28-10), Velvetdragon (12-29-10)
Old 12-28-10, 01:31 AM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 780 Posts
tipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant future

Thanks for the info. I didn't mean I was going to try 50,000 a day though, I'm thinking I'll try something like 2000UI-3000UI a day for a while, at least through the winter. In America the safe upper intake for ages 9 and up is 4000UI a day, so that should be fine.

vawksel, maybe you should talk to a doctor before continuing this 50,000UI a day thing? Vitamin D toxicity is rare, but at over 12 times the upper limit every single day something could go wrong. Since its fat soluble, it stays in your system for a long time rather than getting secreted out with urine like water soluble vitamins, so even though everything seems fine now levels within your body will build up over time.