ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-18, 02:03 PM

CasioCurious will become famous soon enough
Whole family ADHD..except mom!

I have long suspected that my whole family except my mom..that's 13 people including my dad have ADHD. We don't communicate very well in our family because we are a bit dysfunctional, but last couple of months I've been asking my siblings if they have inattention and motivation problems and they are all struggling with it.

I never knew how much they struggled like me though. I noticed that when the hyperactivity goes and the inattention takes over, that's when depression really hits. People that have siblings should really talk to them and see if they are going through the same thing they are. My goal is really to medicate my whole family(except my go getter mom)because the familial stress makes this disorder worse.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CasioCurious For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-08-18), CharlesH (04-07-18), kwalk (04-09-18), PoppnNSailinMan (04-07-18)
Old 04-07-18, 02:50 PM
Contributor

CharlesH is a glorious beacon of lightCharlesH is a glorious beacon of lightCharlesH is a glorious beacon of lightCharlesH is a glorious beacon of lightCharlesH is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Whole family ADHD..except mom!

ADHD is one of the most inheritable genetic psych disorders out there, and having a family with a bunch of untreated ADHD people can cause a dysfunctional household!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-08-18), CasioCurious (04-08-18)
Old 04-07-18, 05:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,041 Times in 11,630 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

My older brother would never admit it if he had any adhd symptoms. He calls
it "an excuse." But he does have social anxiety.

I've talked to my little sister. She was diagnosed years ago with OCD, but no
one ever talked to her about adhd. Her OCD diagnosis came before many docs
understood that adults have adhd too. She agrees that she likely has adhd.

I've talked to my niece (brother's daughter) about having adhd. She has post
collision TBI (traumatic brain injury) that is a lot like adhd. I believe her brother
has adhd, but he's too much like his dad to ever admit it or get help.

My daughter has what I believe is a mild case of adhd. Her oldest daughter has
severe adhd (along with anxiety and depression). Her youngest daughter has
autism (along with anxiety).

Very definitely an inherited family disorder.
Definitely makes a dysfunctional family.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-18, 10:33 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,161 Times in 659 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasioCurious View Post
I have long suspected that my whole family except my mom..that's 13 people including my dad have ADHD. We don't communicate very well in our family because we are a bit dysfunctional, but last couple of months I've been asking my siblings if they have inattention and motivation problems and they are all struggling with it.

I never knew how much they struggled like me though. I noticed that when the hyperactivity goes and the inattention takes over, that's when depression really hits. People that have siblings should really talk to them and see if they are going through the same thing they are. My goal is really to medicate my whole family(except my go getter mom)because the familial stress makes this disorder worse.
Good pick-up CC. :-)

Pls disregard if you're already aware. A high percentage of adults (and I "believe" for non adults as well) w/ untreated ADHD have other "disorders" as well. The Forum has a whole section on Comorbid Conditions. IMVHO I think it is important to get a thorough evaluation at first because in some cases you have to treat the other condition before you can get effective treatment for ADHD. -LN
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
CasioCurious (04-08-18)
Old 04-08-18, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
Good pick-up CC. :-)

Pls disregard if you're already aware. A high percentage of adults (and I "believe" for non adults as well) w/ untreated ADHD have other "disorders" as well. The Forum has a whole section on Comorbid Conditions. IMVHO I think it is important to get a thorough evaluation at first because in some cases you have to treat the other condition before you can get effective treatment for ADHD. -LN
Little Nut,
My insurance won't cover a full thorough evaluation, but after speaking with my therapist, I think I'm dealing with depression, anxiety and learning disability.
With out down playing adhd symptoms, I think they are nothing compared to the emotional problems that are associated with it.
For example, two emotions that have been eating me alive is shame and guilt. And I'm sure they both come about my inability to handle this disorder.
The Following User Says Thank You to CasioCurious For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-08-18)
Old 04-08-18, 09:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,041 Times in 11,630 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Little Nut,
My insurance won't cover a full thorough evaluation, but after speaking with my therapist, I think I'm dealing with depression, anxiety and learning disability.
With out down playing adhd symptoms, I think they are nothing compared to the emotional problems that are associated with it.
For example, two emotions that have been eating me alive is shame and guilt. And I'm sure they both come about my inability to handle this disorder.
Seems to me that treating the adhd and thus being able to handle the disorder
better would mitigate the shame and guilt. It's sad that we're made to feel this
way when it's no more our fault than if we were born blind or deaf.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-18, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Seems to me that treating the adhd and thus being able to handle the disorder
better would mitigate the shame and guilt. It's sad that we're made to feel this
way when it's no more our fault than if we were born blind or deaf.
Yes, it is sad. Before I was searching for treatment for myself but now i want to help my family as well, especially my dad.
Old 04-08-18, 10:03 PM
Contributor

CharlesH is a glorious beacon of lightCharlesH is a glorious beacon of lightCharlesH is a glorious beacon of lightCharlesH is a glorious beacon of lightCharlesH is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Little Nut,
Maybe your therapist can diagnose you with ADHD and refer you to a primary care doc for ADHD medication.

I agree with you about the emotional symptoms being even more problematic than the attentive symptoms. Thomas Brown is a clinical psychologist that wrote a good book about the emotional dysfunction.
Old 04-08-18, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Maybe your therapist can diagnose you with ADHD and refer you to a primary care doc for ADHD medication.

I agree with you about the emotional symptoms being even more problematic than the attentive symptoms. Thomas Brown is a clinical psychologist that wrote a good book about the emotional dysfunction.
Thanks Charles,
I am going to see a nurse practitioner on the 19th. And also I was on Adderall before I got skeptical and discontinued, and I'm sure I'm going to be skeptical again and again.
Old 04-10-18, 05:21 PM

lntense is on a distinguished road

Would be kind of ironic if your mom was the only one on medication.
Old 04-10-18, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lntense View Post
Would be kind of ironic if your mom was the only one on medication.
Lol, I hope not. She told me she was raised differently from my dad. She grew up with her grandmother and dad, and they showered her with Love.