ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-18, 12:02 AM

mikl_pls is on a distinguished road
Hello from Alabama - New to forum

Hello everyone!

I've been reading and referring to some threads on this forum for quite some time and decided to join you guys. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone around here!

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 9 or 10 years old, I just remember I was in 4th grade. At the time I had also been diagnosed with OCD and put on fluoxetine (Prozac) 10 mg. When my pediatrician made the diagnosis of ADHD (or ADD as it was known at the time), she put me on Adderall, but I'm not sure what dosage, nor does my mom remember. But if I'm not mistaken, at the time they only made 10 mg and 20 mg tablets that you had to either half or quarter yourself, so my guess is for a pediatric patient, I must've either been on 2.5 mg or 5 mg. Apparently I didn't tolerate it well at all, though. It made my stomach hurt really bad or something my mom said, and I was off of it within a week. I think she was very wary of ADHD meds as she was a teacher and saw what effects they could have on very, very young children.

So I went through the rest of school and through college without any knowledge of being ADHD much less any medicine for it until I was 25 when I was officially diagnosed with bipolar (which I figured was the case for many years). My mental health had been declining for the past years and it was getting undeniably bad to the point where I couldn't put off seeking help for it anymore (that's a different story altogether... bad experiences from escitalopram (Lexapro) given to me in high school for anxiety without antipsychotic and mood stabilizer made me resistant to taking psychiatric meds basically). My gdoc had been prescribing me bupropion (Wellbutrin) at the time for depression, which helped me a little and even with motivation, but ultimately I would crash and still have depressive episodes. I asked him about lamotrigine (Lamictal), and then that puzzle piece was put in place for the mood instability, but there was one piece still left it seemed in my mind by my symptoms. I just didn't know how to describe it to my doctor.

Then at my next appointment, when he had increased my Wellbutrin dose to 300 mg XL, he mentioned that there were things to augment it if it doesn't work well enough (as though he read my mind?). Next appointment, I asked what he meant by that, and he mentioned things like Adderall and Ritalin. He asked me a series of questions about ADHD (at the time, I didn't know they had to do with ADHD), and I answered every one of them with a strong yes. He asked me if I had ever been diagnosed with ADHD, and at the time I had no knowledge of it... so he said "well, as far as I'm concerned, you have ADHD," and offered to prescribe one of the two for me. I chose Adderall not knowing I had already tried it in the past and where had my life been all that time?! lol I had no idea how I had gotten anything done without it.

I'm on Dexedrine 60 mg/day and I feel like I can stay awake all day and sleep all night (usually), which manages my hypersomnolence, but my focus is still not where I want it to be. I still check out randomly and tune out conversations (very inattentive). My motivation levels are also not quite up to par. But I'm much better about procrastination and being on time. MUCH better! I feel more mindful with Dexedrine than Adderall. Adderall is okay but I get kind of jittery when I get up to the doses I need (40-60 mg).

I've been on just about every stimulant (and the one non-stimulant, Strattera)... (in parentheses is the highest daily dose taken):
Adderall XR (90 mg), Adzenys XR-ODT (12.5 mg), Adderall (60 mg), Nuvigil (250 mg), Strattera (80 mg), Focalin IR (5 mg) + Focalin XR (20 mg) (25 mg), Dexedrine Spansule (30 mg, 45 mg 2 days out of the week), Evekeo (20 mg), Desoxyn (15 mg), Ritalin (30 mg), Metadate CD (20 mg), Provigil (400 mg), Vyvanse (70 mg)

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I'll quit rambling here!
Current Rx's: aripiprazole (Abilify) 15 mg q AM, desipramine (Norpramin) 50 mg q AM, dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine) 10 mg 2 tid (60 mg), oxcarbazepine (Trileptal) 600 mg bid (1,200 mg), sertraline (Zoloft) 150 mg q AM, topiramate (Topamax) 100 mg bid (200 mg), vitamin D3 50,000 IU q wk
Old 04-14-18, 04:38 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,019 Times in 14,809 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello from Alabama - New to forum

Are you saying the adderall worked well but your doc has you on dex?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 04-14-18, 02:45 PM

mikl_pls is on a distinguished road

Oh no, I meant to say the Adderall doesn't work as well as Dexedrine. For me, Dexedrine works *far* better than Adderall. I feel much more focused and less jittery.

But yet on the max dose of Dexedrine (which supposedly is equivalent to greater than the max dose of Adderall, though my pdoc begged to differ), my focus is just still not where I want it to be is all.

I mean, it's better than it would be on any other stimulant, even Desoxyn! But I'm afraid I'm just such a rapid metabolizer of amphetamines that I might need a higher-than-maximum dose of Dexedrine.
Current Rx's: aripiprazole (Abilify) 15 mg q AM, desipramine (Norpramin) 50 mg q AM, dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine) 10 mg 2 tid (60 mg), oxcarbazepine (Trileptal) 600 mg bid (1,200 mg), sertraline (Zoloft) 150 mg q AM, topiramate (Topamax) 100 mg bid (200 mg), vitamin D3 50,000 IU q wk
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-18, 03:56 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 22,476 Times in 13,280 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm