ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Anxiety/Benzodiazepines/Beta Blockers
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-04, 04:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

bunnystar is on a distinguished road
Question Help, ADD and Anxiety

Anyone have suggestions about what I should try/suggest to doc:

I have somehow developed a panic disorder. I get panic attacks for no reason, (well yes I have a lot of stress in my life but nothing triggers it) I can be laying in bed watching TV, totally relaxed, I can be at work, at Home Depot, it doesn't have to be a stressful situation and most of the time is not.

When this first started I thought it was Adderall, stopped taking Adderall, still got them. Still too afraid to take adderall (since I convinced myself it was Adderall I get an attack now when I take it, I can't logically talk my body out of convienceing itself I will get one). Started Strattera, got a panic attack in home depo, first day on it, was able to calm myself and appear normal, talk myself out of having a full blown freak out attack, did this with out the help of valium too.... I also started Buspar with Strattera, can't take Strattera now because I have difficultly peeing etc. So after only two days, I have stopped Stratterra, still taking Buspar for anxiety, it is doing nothing. I feel no different. My heart is still palpatiateing on and off during the day, my chest is tight most of the time and I feel extrememly anxious.

ADD:
Besides having the pee side effect and being unable to take Strattera, Adderall gives me extrememly swollen glads and my body swells from it. The side effects of both of these drugs are not excepable to me and I can't take them.

Anxiety:
Buspar isn't working for anxiety. Feels like I am taking nothing. Was given Valium for already full blown panic attacks. Valium makes me too tired and drugged feeling to take regularly, plus it's addictive so I don't reallly want to be taking that in case I have to.

Any suggestions. Please help, I am so frustrated.
Old 10-11-04, 04:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

bunnystar is on a distinguished road
P.S. I do not suffer from Bi-Polar disorder, or depression or any other co-exsisting disorders.
Old 02-19-05, 12:28 PM
ADDvanced Member

jayblaze2 is on a distinguished road
i heard stimulant are bad for Bi-polar
The Following User Says Thank You to jayblaze2 For This Useful Post:
Rosebud (11-09-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-05, 05:51 PM

sweetheartsok is on a distinguished road
I've been on Wellbutrin for about a week now and it has helped alot so far. May be worth a try. It has also helped alot with my focus and the noise in my head is gone. So far a miracle drug for me. Does cause a bit of a headache but nothing worth complaining about. I'm using a magnet bracelet and it does help ease the headaches. Good luck!
Old 05-11-05, 04:13 PM

addme is on a distinguished road
I know what you mean. I used to get anxiety attacks for no reason at all. I take Effexor and Adderall, both are extended release. No problems with anxiety now. Also, Adderall consists of salts, I wonder if you're swelling (retaining water)from the salt? Do you drink much water during the course of the day? Water might help eliminate the swelling problem.
Old 05-11-05, 08:00 PM
Contributor

Johna is on a distinguished road
Why does adderall has salt in it? I am on zoloft and adderall..........worry is my middle name
Old 05-12-05, 12:46 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
Adderall doesn't have "salt" (sodium chloride) in it. It's a combination of amphetamine and amphetamine sulphate. Amphetamine sulphate is a "salt" of amphetamine. A "salt" is simply the result of an acid-base reaction. I realize most of this probably makes no sense, but just remember that Adderall does not have sodium chloride in it. :P

Just tell your doctor what's going on. That's what they're there for, and I'm sure they've heard it all, your not alone in what's going on. -- jazzper
Old 06-07-05, 10:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

MillenniumMan is on a distinguished road
A "salt" is simply the result of an acid-base reaction. I realize most of this probably makes no sense, but just remember that Adderall does not have sodium chloride in it.
Yeah but Adderall is totally safe right if not abused??? as well Adderall has nothing
to do with acid right???
Old 06-11-05, 11:50 PM
Contributor

relvinnian has disabled reputation
Bunnystar,

I developed a panic disorder later in life, so I know how freaky it can be.

Just like anything treatment for panic disorder should be comprehensive. Buy a book on it or download information on calming panic attacks. Because you cannot think during a panic attack you must train yourself to calm down automatically. Relaxation and breathing techniques, meditation, aerobic exersize or stretching, aromatherapy are all common practice.

As far as medication generally SSRIs are effective at higher dosages. I would start with lexapro since it is potentially the "cleanest", but most people have a specific that works "best" for them. Generally when you initiate medications in a panic disorder patient that can cause anxiety in the initial stages, you want a short trial of benzos until you become used to the medicines... usually around 2-4 weeks, then taper off. Don't mess around with Xanax or Valium if you can help it. .25-.5mg 2x-3x/d of klonopin, or .5 - 1mg of ativan 2-3x/d is usually plenty to prevent an actually panic attack, but will not "feel" so much like an anxiolytic. I'd recommend the klonopin.

Once you've put together some time without the attacks, or with attacks that are easily managed, you can think about easing back into a more stimulating treatment for your ADHD. Concerta, wellbutrin, provigil... perhaps you may even tolerate dexedrine better.

Good luck
Old 09-21-05, 10:01 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough
I've been using zoloft for almost 6 months now and it has helped me very much for my panic disorder. I take 50mg in the morning and I'm done with medicine for the day and I don't have a single panic attack. Because you are on the Adderall I don't know if you can take it, but ask your doctor. He will definatly be able to help.
Old 09-21-05, 04:22 PM

tatorbugs_mommy has disabled reputation
Just started zoloft for my depression/anxitey,panic attacks. Thank goodness knock on wood no attacks since i started been about 3 weeks i think. Started on 50 mg now on 100. I take it with my strattera and have been doing pretty good.
Tracy