ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-16-18, 10:15 AM

d0rian is on a distinguished road
Bad morning nausea after not taking Adderall for a day?

I'd never had this happen, but now 3 times in the last 6 weeks, I've woken up (an hour or more before my alarm) and have all of the "on the verge of throwing up" symptoms -- nausea, tongue swelling, saliva filling mouth -- so I run to the bathroom...I've so far avoided actually vomiting but I'm close enough that if I focused on just getting it out, I definitely could.

It's kinda scary and I'm trying to figure out why it's happening. I've taken a modest dose of Adderall XR (15mg) for the last 5+ years, and used to try to keep it to 3-4x / week, but in the last couple months have been taking it basically every day. I didn't take it yesterday, which had me wondering whether that could be reason for acute morning nausea. (I don't remember whether the 2 previous episodes followed a non-XR day). Googling suggests that nausea can be side effect of Adderall "withdrawal", but seems unlikely it would kick in merely due to 1 day of not taking a 15mg dose.

But that's all I can think of: increased frequency (daily) + missed day, albeit of a modest 15mg dose. Any chance that's the cause of these morning nausea scares?
Old 04-16-18, 12:22 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,353 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of
Re: Bad morning nausea after not taking Adderall for a day?

Hey Dorian, I would think there is a chance. Based on just your post, if it was me I wouldn't be severely concerned about the nausea yet and wouldn't think it is likely related directly to your Adderall. For me nausea issues when I wake or that wake me I normally feel the cause is something I've eaten the night before, colds/flu, or sinus problems/draining. Me skipping a day never caused this AFAIK. For you though, if you are really concerned, I would suggest calling/seeing your Doc.

Lemme make sure I understand correctly:
  • You've been taking 15mg/day Adderall XR up to 7 days/week for 5+ years.
  • Over past few months you have been normally dosing the 15mg/day every day.
  • Over last 6 weeks you have had 3 episodes of nausea upon waking. (Was each time before your "normal waking"? IOW you awoke early and were nauseous as opposed to you routinely wake before your alarm and on 3 of these times you awoke nauseous....)
  • The last episode followed a day you didn't take adderall. The other 2 episodes may have occurred the morning after a day of not dosing. (Over past few months have you had days that you didn't dose and didn't have any nausea the next morning?)

I'm assuming no new meds, diet changes, health issues, changes in daily routines. -LN
Old 04-16-18, 04:07 PM

lntense is on a distinguished road

I doubt it is related to the adderall.

I'm assuming you're male correct?

Have you begun any other medication recently or made any significant changes to your diet, and are you on any other meds daily? How is your general health
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-18, 05:54 PM

d0rian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
Hey Dorian, I would think there is a chance. Based on just your post, if it was me I wouldn't be severely concerned about the nausea yet and wouldn't think it is likely related directly to your Adderall. For me nausea issues when I wake or that wake me I normally feel the cause is something I've eaten the night before, colds/flu, or sinus problems/draining. Me skipping a day never caused this AFAIK. For you though, if you are really concerned, I would suggest calling/seeing your Doc.

Lemme make sure I understand correctly:
  • You've been taking 15mg/day Adderall XR up to 7 days/week for 5+ years.
  • Over past few months you have been normally dosing the 15mg/day every day.
  • Over last 6 weeks you have had 3 episodes of nausea upon waking. (Was each time before your "normal waking"? IOW you awoke early and were nauseous as opposed to you routinely wake before your alarm and on 3 of these times you awoke nauseous....)
  • The last episode followed a day you didn't take adderall. The other 2 episodes may have occurred the morning after a day of not dosing. (Over past few months have you had days that you didn't dose and didn't have any nausea the next morning?)
Yes, you have that right. I also doubt it's related to the XR; only thing that made me think it might be is that i'm taking it 7 days / wk now instead of 4-5, so thought i might be more susceptible to some kind of withdrawal effect...though one missed 15mg day would seem to be rather minor. And yes, like you said, I've skipped days in the past with zero ill effects. Prob unrelated, I guess.
Old 04-17-18, 04:52 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,236 Times in 14,916 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Have you never seen a GI doc?Sometimes what you experience can be a sign of an ulcer or untreated acid reflux. You do not need to feel the reflux to have it. I had it when I was heavy and when I lost the weight I thought it went away. Well it didnt, I just didnt feel it. Now I have Barretts esophogus and have to get biopsies every couple of years.

I carried a watermelon?