ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-16, 12:38 PM
Jr Member

Helloit'sme is a jewel in the roughHelloit'sme is a jewel in the roughHelloit'sme is a jewel in the rough
Where do I begin

I am 58 year old woman and was just diagnosed with ADHD. Always suspected it, read lots of books, but never followed through on anything and nothing has changed. My 18-year-old daughter was diagnosed and upon completing all of her paperwork and viewing her results, I felt like it was all about me. So I went to the same doc and was diagnosed. He prescribed 20 mg Vyvanse. It's been 4 days and I don't feel much different. I have had depression and anxiety forever and I am prescribed Lexpro, Wellbutrin and Xanax. Now Vyvanse on top of that. It all seems so complicated: do I really have depression and anxiety, or is it the ADHD that is making a mess of my life? Despite medication, people tell me I still have the classic symptoms of depression: grooming is a huge chore, loss of interest in the things I love to do (they now seem like a hassle), absolute refusal to do the things I need to do, but have always hated doing - like daily chores, maintaining finances, cleaning, etc. And, even if I did want to do these things again, I would just procrastinate because it all seems so complicated and I wouldn't even know where to begin - I have no routine, I am impulsive, I have no filing system, I start tasks, get distracted, and forget about them. I begin projects and don't finish them. What a mess. I don't even know where to begin to dig out, but I do know that I do not want to live the rest of my life like this. I would like to have some goals and follow thru on them, keep my home and finances in order and enjoy doing the things I used to love to do again. I want to feel motivated to do things and I am not. There is one ADHD support group in my area that meets once a month, but I work on the night they hold the meeting. Hopefully through my ADHD doctor and my psychiatrist I will begin to make progress. I joined this forum to meet others like myself, feel validated and not alone, get help and hopefully help others. That's me in a nut shell. So hi everyone!
Old 04-08-16, 04:19 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 21,438 Times in 12,635 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where do I begin

Welcome
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

Old 04-08-16, 09:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the community friend!
you will fit right in
I hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 04-08-16, 10:07 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,789 Times in 8,902 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

Welcome to the neighborhood.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown