ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-06, 01:55 AM

spacewater is on a distinguished road
Just got dx bipolar

I was so sure i had ADD and did buncha research and read many articles/books about it... my neuropsycho told me that i have bipolar. I just dont understand how he can conclude that i have bipolar when my symptoms clear leads to ADD. Taking bipolar meds going to make me even more tire, its not going to help me focus anything, its not going to help me not forget stuff, it will just make me sleepy........ i dont get it
Old 12-06-06, 01:59 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

VisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really nice
Second opinion. There is a fine line between BP and ADD. Sometimes, they are confused, sometimes not. Somtimes you can have both. Do more research. Keep a journal if you start the BP meds.

Don't know what else to say, sorry about the disappointment, big hugs. Take care of yourself. I have been in your shoes, suggested, but not official. It has now been ruled out.

RADD
Old 12-06-06, 02:02 AM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Its a difficult call Spacewater, because hypomania/mania looks a whole lot like hyperactivity and causes racing thoughts as well. Its standard procedure to treat the possible mood disorder before treating the possible ADHD because the common meds for ADHD (stimulants) will provoke hypomania/mania in a BP patient who is not taking a mood stabilizer.

I know this because I just so happen to be ADHD and Bipolar II Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-06, 02:25 AM

Nova has a spectacular aura aboutNova has a spectacular aura about
Heya SW,
I'm also diagnosed with Bipo-2 w/ADHD.

Some, in being diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, also 'have' ADHD.
The diagnosis isn't 'limited' to only the 'two', it can extend to other 'variables'.
It's actually referred to as 'comorbid'.

- I, can bring, you, back, to Life.
-True Blood
Old 12-06-06, 03:58 AM

Thanked 1,015 Times in 638 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
FULL BLOWN Mania can include hallucinations, fixed delusions and generally acting way more crazy than most ADHDers I've ever met. eg forcible hospitalization; arrested; dangerous hypersexuality; etc.

Bipolar can escalate into psychosis. I would not take a diagnosis of a psychotic disorder lightly.

My SO's hospital had several Bipolar folks in on Forensics [for being involved in conflict with the law] at any time.

You and your doctor sound unsure... (which leads me to think it is just speculation about bipolar).

NB Maybe your Shrink means the one type of bipolar, and not the other, or cyclothymia [another variant] or something.
Old 12-06-06, 04:13 AM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Bipolar does not escalate into psychosis: the manic stage of Bipolar I can become a psychotic episode, and can right from the beginning in patients with Bipolar I. Patients with BPII or Cyclothmia do not manifest psychosis; that is what differentiates the types in the first place.
Old 12-06-06, 04:17 AM

justhope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the rough
Speaking as another ADDer with Cyclotymia...(under the BPDII umbrella)

It's very possible. Get a second opioion if you feel you need to.

There as many facets of BP as thier are ADD/ADHD.
Not all the extremes mentioned above take place, to dx it.

I was dx at age 24 with ADD non hyperactive.
I was dx within 2 years with minor clinical depression.

I have never been to prison, never been hypersexual..cept when I was younger and dumber.

I took my meds..depression meds never helped, some made me worse.
The ADD meds helped, but there always seemed to be something missing.
Last year, my life took an interesting turn, and I met the full blown version of hypomania. NOthing so "critical" as hallutionantions...etc.
Just spending a little to much money , and I am a miser, and not sleeping for a couple days a week. And I love to sleep.

So I told my doc about it, I have BPD in my family.
I had the episode longer, and more severe in the last year than in my life.
I am 36, onset more severe the older you get....
So I started Lamictal, and wow I see a whole new world.
I still take my ADD meds, but dont' need them as often.
I believe I am both, however I believe the ADD is less of the problem than we first thought.

I was just dx with Cyclothymia at age 36, a precurser to BPDII and full blown BP which I would have headed for untreated.

Please don't give up. And don't try to fit yourself in a nice neat box.
You could have early stages of Bp...and ADD or just one, or neither. It is imperative, you be open, do go to docs who specialize in these types of disorders. And be willing to try different meds, treatments..to find a good fit. What works for one , does not work for all, in BPD or ADD, believe me.

Keep us updated. Do take care of yourself and don't give up
Even untreated. I have held the same job for 7 years, moved up, bought a home, been in the same relationship for 13 years, and have 3 beautiful boys!
And now life is less of a struggle, and I see it though a new light.

Mother Is The Name for God in the Lips & Hearts of Little Children
Old 12-06-06, 11:41 AM

If you note the LAST LINE in this paragraph- you'll also note that there are different 'levels/classifications' of Bipolar Disorder.

NOT everyone who is diagnosed (and I mean diagnosed- not those who are just 'assuming' someone, or themselves, to 'have' Bipolar Disorder) with Bipolar Disorder, experiences hallucinations, delusions, or 'acts way more crazy'.

I, personally, and professionally, don't believe the word 'crazy' is an appropriate term to be used, in reference to any 'mental-health' disorder.

'Mania' also differs in 'level' from one Bipolar Disorder 'classification' to another.

'Lumping' everyone who is diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder into one category, especially when only pointing out the dramatic, extreme negative 'traits' of one classification of this disorder, IMO, is ...

Unethical.

This 'propensity' of 'everyone/everything being exactly the same' should not continue.

Quote:
FULL BLOWN Mania can include hallucinations, fixed delusions and generally acting way more crazy than most ADHDers I've ever met. eg forcible hospitalization; arrested; dangerous hypersexuality; etc.

Bipolar can escalate into psychosis. I would not take a diagnosis of a psychotic disorder lightly.

My SO's hospital had several Bipolar folks in on Forensics [for being involved in conflict with the law] at any time.

You and your doctor sound unsure... (which leads me to think it is just speculation about bipolar).

NB Maybe your Shrink means the one type of bipolar, and not the other, or cyclothymia [another variant] or something.

-True Blood
Old 12-06-06, 11:51 AM

Thank you Nova I prefer to think that the only crazy things about me are my feet, and sometimes my sense of humor...

But not this time cuz its no joking matter!
Old 12-06-06, 01:47 PM

No. It isn't a 'joking matter'.

I'm not smiling, as I type this, nor was I smiling when I typed my previous post.

There are numerous 'accounts' of individuals, who encompass behavioral/psychological 'traits', perceived as those associated with specific 'disorders'.

Most are assumptions, perpetuated without giving consideration to
*all factors involved*.

The main *factor* being the specific individual.
Their individual and specific biological/genetic/medical/psychological/emotional/environmental history.

I work in an area, rampant with individuals who encompass many psychological/behavioral 'traits', that I could assume to be associated with many 'disorders'.

Do I assume any of those individuals to *have* any specific disorder ?

No.

Because without my actually witnessing each individual's diagnosis, and verifying each individual's 'history', there is absolutely no way, I am certain about any assumptions I may *claim*.

So if I assume, it would only add to the perpetuation of unethical and bogus claims, and it certainly wouldn't benefit the furthering education of the public, in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy~Feet
But not this time cuz its no joking matter!

-True Blood
Old 12-06-06, 01:54 PM

And I was only smiling when I thanked you for taking up on that. Believe it. I meet people all the time who have preconcieved notions about what my personal "disorders" MUST mean and I do try very hard to dispel any myths that come my way and spread accurate information in their place.

I hope I succeeded on some small level in this thread and if I failed? I will try another time. The OP can keep on posting and I will keep on replying!
Old 12-06-06, 08:52 PM

My neuropsycho refer me to this one MD who specialize in Bipolar disorder. Its been 46 hours and i still havent made appoint with him, all i get is his stupid answering machine telling me to leave name and insurance company name. My neuropsycho said its possible that i have ADD too when i asked him about how bipolar people have ADD traits then he made it sound like ADD isnt any problem and told me that ADD will go away once i get treated for bipolar. this guy making sense or is he just BSing with people with certain mental condition. I had no clue what he was talking about 80% of the time cuz i couldnt concentrate the words coming out of his mouth. I wish i took a picture of him he look like some kind of scam artist... he barely has any hair, wall eyed, wears thick glasses and some other BS. And the reason why i think hes scam artist is that i already have an appointment with neurologist on the 11th of Dec and he kept saying i should go visit the one he was talking about and kept saying that neuro is better and he will agree with his dx. I'm just thinking thats one of his close friend and just was to pass me to him. Am i thinking in the wrong direction again ?
Old 12-06-06, 09:07 PM

Do what you *think* is right for you.

If you don't 'think', what the Neuro-PsychDoc is telling you is 'true', if you 'think' he has other 'motives' that pertain to the welfare of your mental health, then you are entitled to *do that*.

This is only a suggestion, but it's usually a 'good' idea, to personally accummulate as much 'knowledge' in any areas, that affect your personal medical 'well-being'.

-True Blood
Old 12-06-06, 09:37 PM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
Ultimately you will go to the doctor you chose. From what you are saying I get the feeling that your doc is trying to refer you to someone he feels will do a good job for you.

Yes it is possible that your ADD symptoms are caused by bipolar. If that is the case your add could improve a lot when your bipolar is treated.

Make your choices, make an appointment, get to a doctor, and get treated. Don't put this off.

Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacewater
My neuropsycho refer me to this one MD who specialize in Bipolar disorder. Its been 46 hours and i still havent made appoint with him, all i get is his stupid answering machine telling me to leave name and insurance company name. My neuropsycho said its possible that i have ADD too when i asked him about how bipolar people have ADD traits then he made it sound like ADD isnt any problem and told me that ADD will go away once i get treated for bipolar. this guy making sense or is he just BSing with people with certain mental condition. I had no clue what he was talking about 80% of the time cuz i couldnt concentrate the words coming out of his mouth. I wish i took a picture of him he look like some kind of scam artist... he barely has any hair, wall eyed, wears thick glasses and some other BS. And the reason why i think hes scam artist is that i already have an appointment with neurologist on the 11th of Dec and he kept saying i should go visit the one he was talking about and kept saying that neuro is better and he will agree with his dx. I'm just thinking thats one of his close friend and just was to pass me to him. Am i thinking in the wrong direction again ?
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 12-07-06, 06:51 PM

Ok I just spoke to the MD who my neuropsycho has refer me to. This time hes Psychiatry. I told him that my neuropsycho dx me with bipolar and maybe ADD, He didnt care what i'm dx with he just want to go through evaluation again which i feel good about but crap i spent 2200$ for nothing then. That neuropsycho really didnt do anything beside give me some lame tests only to point a finger to psychiatric MD. Anywho i feel confident about this MD from speaking on the phone I told him i have no insurance yet but its in process so hes going to give me a discount on the test so yea.... Oh yeah my first neurologist didnt do anything either he just pointed finger to my neuro for like $ 350 i think