ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 10-15-18, 04:08 PM

yashy889 is on a distinguished road
Anxiety/Depression & ADHD - Medication?

Hey there,

one of my main symptoms are: tension, restlessness, nervousness, hot flushes, sweating, shaking, faster heartbeat etc.

I once took Citalopram and my symptoms just got much worse... so I am kind of afraid that it will be the same when I take an anti-depressive one of the SSRI group...

I never took any ADHD med except Elontril, and it didn't really take any effect.

So my question is: Based on my symptoms and my previous experience with Citalopram I wonder which anti-depressive medication I can take against my anxiety + depression, based on the fact that I have ADHD?
Are there any people who have similar problems?

I am 29yo and male by the way.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-18, 05:46 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,193 Times in 7,311 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anxiety/Depression & ADHD - Medication?

You may want to consider these. Bupropion is also prescribed for ADHD.
Quote:
Serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs).
Examples of SNRI medications include duloxetine (Cymbalta), venlafaxine (Effexor XR), desvenlafaxine (Pristiq, Khedezla) and levomilnacipran (Fetzima).

Atypical antidepressants.These medications don't fit neatly into any of the other antidepressant categories. They include trazodone, mirtazapine (Remeron), vortioxetine (Trintellix), vilazodone (Viibryd) and bupropion (Wellbutrin, Aplenzin, Forfivo XL). Bupropion is one of the few antidepressants not frequently associated with sexual side effects.
Old 10-15-18, 05:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

I'm doing well on Prestiq now. I have anxiety, depression, insomnia and ADHD-PI symptoms.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-18, 03:39 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,411 Times in 15,014 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Cymbalta combined with Lamictal and Geodon literally saved my life.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 10-18-18, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBV View Post
I'm doing well on Prestiq now. I have anxiety, depression, insomnia and ADHD-PI symptoms.
Which kind of anxiety are you suffering from? And What do you mean by ADHD-"PI"? Did you feel when you started taking it, that your anxiety and restless or tension got stronger in the beginning? Like does that medication makes you more awake / active, rather than calming you down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Cymbalta combined with Lamictal and Geodon literally saved my life.
I googled it but it seems more like a combination when you are bi-polar right?
Old 10-18-18, 01:07 PM

benito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashy889 View Post
Hey there,

one of my main symptoms are: tension, restlessness, nervousness, hot flushes, sweating, shaking, faster heartbeat etc.

I once took Citalopram and my symptoms just got much worse... so I am kind of afraid that it will be the same when I take an anti-depressive one of the SSRI group...

I never took any ADHD med except Elontril, and it didn't really take any effect.

So my question is: Based on my symptoms and my previous experience with Citalopram I wonder which anti-depressive medication I can take against my anxiety + depression, based on the fact that I have ADHD?
Are there any people who have similar problems?

I am 29yo and male by the way.

Thanks!
I think you need an antidepressant for anxiety+depression and a stimulant for ADHD. Talk with your doctor.

My meds

Morning: Vyvanse 50mg and effexor xr 75mg

night: Brintellix 20mg, lamictal 300mg, abilify 5mg, seroquel 200mg and clonazepam 0.5mg
Old 10-26-18, 09:33 AM

ShipwreckSiren is on a distinguished road

I was diagnosed as depression/anxiety/bipolarII/ocd before adhd. My doctor and I still aren't sure which were results of ADHD and which may be co-conditions. But SSRI's never helped me. I took Zoloft for 7 years and it made intrusive thoughts worse and I couldn't often sleep on it (this lead to my bipolar II and ocd diagnosis). My depression and racing thoughts seemed to really improve on Adderall and went away for the first time. Maybe talk to your doctor about a mood stabilizer? I take lamictal and I think it helps a lot. It especially helps with the crash of stims. I have also taken anti-psychoitcs in the past (Latuda/Seroquel) and these are great, help with sleep, etc. But they are very powerful drugs with potential for bad side effects. Whenever I take Latuda or Seroquel I am guaranteed to pass out uncomfortably from tiredness within 30-90 mins. I take seroquel now for sleep at night, but it's a tiny dose.
Old 11-05-18, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benito View Post
I think you need an antidepressant for anxiety+depression and a stimulant for ADHD. Talk with your doctor.
Do you think one of the SSRIs would be a good option for people with ADHD? I once took Citalopram and it was a total nightmare. I was anxious as hell and my heart was freaking out. It made me more sick, than I already was.

What kind of stimulant medications do you mean for ADHD ? And do those meds increase anxiety?
Old 11-05-18, 11:40 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

You should try to figure out whether your anxiety and depression are the prominent ailment, or whether they are comorbid symptoms of your ADHD. I personally suffered from anxiety and depression when I was growing up, but since my ADHD diagnosis I've come to find out that they were just associated symptoms of a bigger problem, and once I started treating my ADHD everything else got better along with it. Worth looking into...
Old 11-06-18, 02:09 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,411 Times in 15,014 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashy889 View Post

I googled it but it seems more like a combination when you are bi-polar right?
Yes it is. However cymbalta is an SNRI which is sometimes better for people that have problems with SSRI's or tricyclics.

I carried a watermelon?