ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 07-15-18, 09:49 PM

unverified is a jewel in the roughunverified is a jewel in the roughunverified is a jewel in the rough
What's a good anxiety med to pair with a stimulant?

I'm diagnosed with both Generalized Anxiety and ADHD. I've been having positive results with adderall when it comes to my mood and having my thoughts together as well as not feeling physically sick when I'm anxious. I'm still having a problem with avoiding things that make me uneasy or unsure for no good reason, which defeats the purpose of finally having energy and plans together.

Does anyone have experience with having anxiety meds with a stimulant?
Old 07-18-18, 12:47 AM
ADDvanced Member

fathom6 is on a distinguished road
Re: What's a good anxiety med to pair with a stimulant?

My advice on this might not be popular. I from experience believe ADHD/ADD is very well treated with meds like Vyvanse/Adderall etc. However not so for depression AND anxiety. These 2 beasts I dont know why but medicine is way behind on them.

The major problem I get is, that the meds for Anxiety and Depression, they "counter" the effect of ADD meds. For me personally ADD treatment takes precedence, so I dont use my anxiety and depression meds. So far in my experience, Gabapentin works the best - though its really the case of a queen or king among the blind.

I recently tried Ashwaghanda which pleasantly surprised me. It makes you very care free, but I am going to be using it for some time to form a permanent opinion to ensure it doesn't rob me from the stimulant. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unverified View Post
I'm diagnosed with both Generalized Anxiety and ADHD. I've been having positive results with adderall when it comes to my mood and having my thoughts together as well as not feeling physically sick when I'm anxious. I'm still having a problem with avoiding things that make me uneasy or unsure for no good reason, which defeats the purpose of finally having energy and plans together.

Old 07-18-18, 03:17 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,249 Times in 15,416 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I take buspar which takes a while to work. But one day I woke up and realized I didnt feel that undertone of flight or fight anxiety. Its not meant for acute panic attacks though.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
BouCoupDinkyDau (12-16-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-18, 11:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

I've not heard many good things about Buspar---mostly that it doesn't work.
The Following User Says Thank You to allesandro1 For This Useful Post:
Slimmm (01-30-20)
Old 07-22-18, 06:29 PM

unverified is a jewel in the roughunverified is a jewel in the roughunverified is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I take buspar which takes a while to work. But one day I woke up and realized I didnt feel that undertone of flight or fight anxiety. Its not meant for acute panic attacks though.
I don't get panic attacks, I just get nervous about every little thing. So even though I'm in a better mood and thinking clearly on Adderall, I still avoid things that make me uneasy
Old 07-24-18, 07:02 AM

Srjs28 is on a distinguished road

I am using cymbalta along with buspar.
Old 11-13-19, 12:46 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Lizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: What's a good anxiety med to pair with a stimulant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unverified View Post

Yes, I've been on a fairly low dose of Valium twice a day for eleven years, and Vyvanse for Inattentive ADD 6 years. The two work very well together for me. Valium works very well to treat my GAD, and I've never had to increase my dose. Valium does not "cancel out" the positive effects Vyvanse has on my ADD, and relieves some of the side effects and the dreaded nightly comedown of Vyvanse. Many doctors and patients go insane if they hear of combining the two medications together, but much of that is based on worst-case scenario belief (about addiction) systems and fear-mongering. Ativan works well, too. If you encounter a doctor who will not prescribe benzos at all for any reason but is more than happy to put you on an SSRI or antipsychotic for anxiety, I highly suggest getting a second opinion. There are exceptions to this, though. If you have health conditions that would make benzos risky - asthma, heart conditions, seizures - defer to the doctor's opinion, I would say.

I do highly suggest that one get the anxiety under control before the ADD, for a few reasons.

One, a person should find the correct medicine for treating their anxiety in the right dosage and get comfortable with that first. I believe it's really important to know your body, make sure the anxiety medication truly makes your GAD manageable and that no side effects or desire to take more than you are prescribed occur. Stimulants can increase anxiety even in those without GAD, and I personally wouldn't recommend taking a medicine like with untreated anxiety disorders.

Two, I would not suggest ever starting two new medications at the same time, especially if they are psychiatric. It's important to take one medicine for at least a few months to understand how it affects you and also to allow yourself imperative time for the brain to adjust to the new med.

Three, it can take awhile to find the right ADD medication and get the dosage right. Even once you do that, your body has a new medication to adjust to. Get very knowledgeable about drug interactions, side effects and how to take the best possible care of yourself to maximize the benefits of these drugs.

I am not a medical professional, and my advice is not intended to diagnose or treat anyone.
20thcenturyfox (12-16-19), AlexaN (12-15-19)
Old 11-13-19, 04:55 AM

Clavius78 is on a distinguished road

In my own experience, all my anxiety is caused by my ADHD-PI symptoms. For example, procrastination leads to unnecessary extra stress. Another great deal of my anxiety is caused by me not even being able to focus on my own thoughts. By treating these with stimulant medication all my procrastination comes to a stop and anxiety is greatly reduced. And separately treating my anxiety symptoms is no longer required.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clavius78 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (12-16-19), BouCoupDinkyDau (12-16-19), kwalk (01-07-20)
Old 12-16-19, 01:21 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,805 Times in 1,391 Posts
BouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond repute

Type II Bipolar and ADHD-PI here, with a childhood hx of PTSD. I am very frightened of others.

Anxiety is a huge issue for me. I’m back on 20mg Ritalin TID PRN (just came off of dexedrine; made my anxiety worse) and was prescribed Seroquel for anxiety, irritability, and insomnia.

Seroquel is an anti-psychotic and this is my first outing with it. So far it’s worked well. I take 50mg about an hour before bed and it knocks me out in about 1.5hrs. I get 7-8hrs of restful sleep every night.

My anxiety has been taken down a few notches as well. Before, my baseline anxiety was about 7-10/10 most days. In the past month I’ve been on Seroquel it’s been 5-6/10. I may up my dose somewhere down the road.

So far I’ve haven’t had any problems with the Ritalin and the Seroquel together, but I’ve never had Ritalin active in me when it’s time to take the other.
Old 12-17-19, 12:57 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,345 Times in 3,001 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

You know it depends on the cause of the anxiety.
Its pretty clear that the sympathetic (stress ) system is dysregulated in ADHD, and the stimulants do help improve its regulation. My heart rate drops on taking dexamphetamine.
As a rule, the fewer the medications we take the better, and there are a couple of other options that can help for anxiety- self hypnosis, and mindfulness therapy (particularly effective).
Im currently on dexamphetamine and lithium, and id be most unkeen on adding any more.
However you have to see what fits for you.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 01-30-20, 10:22 AM
Jr Member

Slimmm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by allesandro1 View Post
I've not heard many good things about Buspar---mostly that it doesn't work.
I took it for ten weeks, 60mg, and it did nothing...nothing.