ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 10-02-18, 04:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

traze23 will become famous soon enough
Scared to death of dogs

I can't even touch them be around them and I don't know why. Anyone have the same problem or know how I can resolve this?
Old 10-02-18, 05:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,425 Times in 2,356 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scared to death of dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by traze23 View Post
I can't even touch them be around them and I don't know why. Anyone have the same problem or know how I can resolve this?
Yes I was always so afraid of dogs. I'd run if there was one more than 20 metres away.

I solved the problem by getting a german shepherd puppy and then I discovered that the majority of dogs are just sooks. That was 20 years ago and I now have a lab. Once you have a dog you learn to read dogs so it's easier to tell the friendlies from the unfriendlies.
Greyhound1 (10-05-18), Little Missy (10-02-18), Lunacie (10-02-18), stef (10-03-18)
Old 10-05-18, 07:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,102 Times in 2,118 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Pet stores often have like an adoption day I think once a week or month where you can just visit with pets without having to commit to buying them. You can get incrementally larger exposure to dogs that way. They are often puppies so are less intimidating too.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (10-05-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-18, 11:01 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,822 Times in 7,620 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by traze23 View Post
Maybe, try going to the animal shelter. They are caged, you can feel safe, monitor and learn their behavior at your own pace. I think you will find most are anxious for your love and attention and not out to do you harm.

I think with more controlled exposure to dogs you can resolve this. Facing your fears is usually the only way to get past them.