ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-04, 09:24 AM
ADDvanced Member

lilthingsADDup is an unknown quantity at this point
Inability to recap events, situations, and tv shows and ADD

I'm wondering if this a an ADD thing...

All of my life I had trouble recaping things like movies, games, what happened at school/work that day, etc.

What's weird is that I KNOW what happened, but I can't SAY what happened. If I do it is disorganized, important points are missed, and very vague.
Old 09-02-04, 09:52 AM
ADDvanced Member

sam is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem with recapping events that happened more than a week ago. Sure, important memories I always remember in detail but if it comes down to remembering every person I was with on a night or what we talked about - it's a blank e.g. I know what we've talked about or what's happened but I can't connect it to a group of people (generally) or to a time/place.

Movies and TV shows I always remember every last detail though :-)
Old 09-02-04, 09:52 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Conlaw is on a distinguished road
When recapping shows, and especially when telling a joke, I have a difficult time organizing my thoughts into words. It isn't that I forget the details or the plot, but I don't prioritize the big picture from the details and don't organize the recap.

I am terrible at joke telling. I wonder if it is the ADD? Susan
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-04, 09:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

sam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conlaw
I have a difficult time organizing my thoughts into words. I am terrible at joke telling.
I forgot to add that. I used to have a bit of a speech problem when I was younger, and I still mix up phrases and stutter now-a-days. It's like I get the perfect idea/thought very quickly but I don't know how to translate it in words as fast so some of it comes out in a jumble. Same thing with recapping events.
Old 09-02-04, 12:08 PM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
What about book reports?

Yeah, I have to take notes on anything complex to recap it, unless it was something I hyperfocused on, in which case I could correct the author
Old 09-02-04, 12:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Draga has disabled reputation
I just read an awesome stephen king book....I know what happens in the story but ask me what it about I'm .....DUH!

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 09-02-04, 12:43 PM
Contributor

Stranger is on a distinguished road
Sounds like me, too. I either get fuzzy on the details, probably because I wasn't paying enough attention, or I ramble on and on about the whole thing until the listener stops paying attention...
Old 09-02-04, 06:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

lilthingsADDup is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardclam
What about book reports?

Yeah, I have to take notes on anything complex to recap it, unless it was something I hyperfocused on, in which case I could correct the author
Yeah, but you can't take notes on everything! How will it look if you're at a party and you whip out a notebook and start taking notes on your observations?
Old 09-02-04, 06:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

daisyo75 is on a distinguished road
I have a problem summarizing anything. Even if I am really familiar with the subject.

That is one of my problems with writing papers. Even when I get past the organization part I have a hard time figuring out what to include. Either I have to many pieces of information or not nearly enough.

Very frustrating since I am supposed to be graduating with my BS is 2 months and have to have all my papers done before hand!

My name is Daisy and I have a short atten.... oh look at that shiny rock.
Old 09-03-04, 10:42 AM

Neppy is on a distinguished road
That's always been a really, really bad problem for me. I know people who can remember entire conversations word for word from movies and TV shows, but all I'll remember is the general jist of what took place. It sucks. I wish I did remember funny lines and stuff so I could bring them up and make people laugh, but ah well. ;D
Old 09-03-04, 10:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

biker is on a distinguished road
I can remember things very easily if I like them. If not I am very fuzzy. I also can be talking about something and if I am distracted I lose my train of thought and sometimes the whole story. I can remember thing that happen in a relationship very well, but forget to do something I have been asked 5 minutes a go.
Old 09-03-04, 11:03 AM
ADDvanced Member

Onwari is on a distinguished road
I just started a similar thread at "Add Adults." I have the same problems, but mine seem to be getting worse. Jokes? I neveer have been able to tell them. Even the funniest ones I can remember. No one laughs when I tell a joke and try to be funny. I always reply, "Well, you had to be there."
Old 09-03-04, 08:01 PM

Neppy is on a distinguished road
I have excellent emotional memory. I can remember exactly how I felt at a certain point, and the messages people got across to me through their tone of voice, body language and so on, but if I am asked to recall what was specifically said, or what specifically took place, I'm completely stuck. It's worked against me from time to time.
Old 09-03-04, 08:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

sLiPpY is on a distinguished road
When I was a kid...I could never remember the name of a book, or the main characters names in a story line. But always got the gist of what happened, etc.

One of my friends has ADD of the same type. He was speaking of purchasing a golf gift certificate...for someone who was retiring at work. Few years after the event... Well, the certificate as I recall was purchased for Frank...instead of Ray lol

From what I've read, it's perfectly normal to get events out of sequence.

Sometimes, I'll call him on it and you should see his face...lol Happens more so with me, if I'm feeling really stressed.
Old 09-03-04, 08:54 PM

AbnormalJeremy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neppy
I have excellent emotional memory. I can remember exactly how I felt at a certain point, and the messages people got across to me through their tone of voice, body language and so on, but if I am asked to recall what was specifically said, or what specifically took place, I'm completely stuck. It's worked against me from time to time.
ME TOO! I am the exact same way whenever something interesting happened with a group of friends and I wanna tell someone what happened I always let someone else tell the story